Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Flying when pregnant - GP refusing to fill in form

(17 Posts)
MaudGonneMad Mon 15-Aug-16 17:39:41

I need to fly a couple of times in the next month, when I'll be 32 and 33 weeks. Short flights (UK-Ireland) in all cases, with two different airlines. Once for work, once for pleasure.

Both airlines state that they require the doctor to complete their Fit to Fly form (one requires it to be faxed in beforehand confused). My GP has said that they don't complete forms or explicitly state that patients are 'fit to fly', but provide a letter stating the due date and that there are no complications up to this point in pregnancy.

Does anyone have any advice/insight on whether this sort of letter will be accepted in lieu of the airlines' own forms?

bleedingnora Mon 15-Aug-16 17:43:00

I'm a GP and I would tell you the same.
My medical indemnity wouldn't cover me to say anything by the facts.
It is between you and the airline.

And in my experience they usually accept.

MaudGonneMad Mon 15-Aug-16 17:54:38

Thanks! Wasn't having a go at the GP - I think their position is pretty reasonable actually. The airlines seem to want you to jump through all sorts of ridiculous hoops. Mind you, I flew at 27 weeks from France and no one batted an eyelid on either side. So hopefully the letter will be enough?

Buttwing Mon 15-Aug-16 18:02:33

Could you ask your midwife? Mine had a preprinted one in her case she just filled it in there and then.

MaudGonneMad Mon 15-Aug-16 18:04:05

Midwife has said I need to ask the GP.

NotSoLankyNancy Mon 15-Aug-16 18:06:17

I flew regularly upto 35 weeks between Uk and Ireland and was never asked for letter even though I always had it. GP just stated uncomplicated pregnancy and dated.

malvinandhobbes Mon 15-Aug-16 18:58:39

I flew to the USA at 32/33 weeks with the uncomplicated pregnancy letter. I never was asked for it.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Mon 15-Aug-16 19:03:14

I got the same when going to Du au when 34 weeks. It was fine - no problem. I he he'd with my insurance before I we t and they were also happy to accept a note in those terms and cover me.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Mon 15-Aug-16 19:03:23

dubai

Pinklily1 Mon 15-Aug-16 20:10:08

I flew at 31 weeks with a GP letter, which confirmed my pregnancy was uncomplicated and also stated that I was fit to fly. I suppose its down to the individual GP.

twoundertwowillbefun Mon 15-Aug-16 20:14:18

Literally it's just for airlines insurance and most of the time they don't ask - I've never been asked for one and was fully prepared to state I was 29 weeks on my flight last week to Ireland if they asked as they then wouldn't question it any further (in 37 weeks tomorrow!)

Boomies Tue 16-Aug-16 13:29:39

I flew last week (33weeks) within the UK and paid £25 for a letter from my GP stating I was fit to fly as requested by the airline. At no point did anyone ask to see it or even acknowledge that I was obviously pregnant and that could have been an issue. That being said my GP did say that what the airline is concerned about is having to divert a plane at great expense because you have gone into labour, therefore if your flights are domestic and a max 1.5hrs they are unlikely to worry as they wont divert for you unless it was a real emergency!

microscope Tue 16-Aug-16 13:37:34

boomies and pinklily1 your GPs have just opened the door for the airline chasing them for costs if you have a complication and the plane has to be diverted. I don't know why professionals sign such things. I would do as said above - outline due date and any complications and leave it to the airline to take the decision.

dramalamma Tue 16-Aug-16 13:46:14

I flew on a 12 hour flight at more than 35 weeks (on my own with a 3 year old!) and airline were happy with a letter saying how many weeks I was and that there were no complications. Like other posters have said its just for their insurance. And I would def get the letter - I've flown a lot while pregnant and have sometimes not been asked for it but on the occasions I have (including once very aggressively when I was only 20 weeks)! They've been pretty insistent on having the letter and can refuse to let you fly which is not what you want!

Boomies Tue 16-Aug-16 14:00:56

Microscope that is all I got, a letter that literally stated that I planned to fly at 33 weeks, my due date and that my pregnancy had been uncomplicated to date. The thing I object to is that it cost so much for 2lines! As an NHS health professional I am forever writing letters and completing professional sections on forms for patients and we are not allowed to charge. I love that GP's can and if my GP had decided they needed to see me before writing those 2 lines it they could have charge £48!

microscope Tue 16-Aug-16 15:14:07

Sorry boomies I thought from your first post that your GP had said that you were fit to fly, which a GP should never do.

There is no NHS funding for these letters so we have to charge. They can be of significant legal risk and as I effectively work for free for six weeks to pay my litigation insurance I have no choice but to charge!

babynelly2010 Tue 16-Aug-16 17:11:27

if you fly any of american airlines they are not allowed by law to ask you for any letters in regards to your pregnancy. They have advisory in terms of how late in pregnancy it is safe in their opinion to fly but stopping you from flying would be considered discrimination. Not sure if any US airlines fly from england to Ireland but may be an idea?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now