Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

BFP - 17 month age gap

(11 Posts)
Justwondering79 Mon 15-Aug-16 16:23:54

I had my BFP this morning at 14dpo with what will hopefully be DC2.

DS1 is 8.5 months and this was a planned/not planned development! DS1 took 11 cycles to arrive and we expected to have a similar experience this time around but nope! Cycle 1 and here we are!

We are overjoyed, we're 37, so were feeling a time pressure but I do feel slightly intimidated by a 17 month age gap! Any positive experiences to share?

Nottalotta Mon 15-Aug-16 16:27:57

No but I'm in the same boat! Except mine wasn't planned but a happy occupancy. I am 38, H is 40, ds is 1. Not sure how far on I am, but thinking 20 month age gap.

Took me ov er two years ttc ds, yet managed to get pregnant this time with an erratic, just returned cycle, and being on the mini pill. And dtd about once a month!

Justwondering79 Mon 15-Aug-16 16:30:48

Ah congratulations! Makes you wonder if the first pregnancy kick starts something off doesn't it?!

FuzzyOwl Mon 15-Aug-16 16:31:15

I'm also 37 and pregnant with my second. When she is born there will be a 17 month age gap. I am hopeful this baby is as easy as DD has been so far but figure it will all work out regardless.

Fadingmemory Mon 15-Aug-16 16:32:55

Yes. I had a 15 month age gap. Sometimes hard - 2 in nappies, 2 lots of tantrums. Now adults, they are so close and supportive of one another.

autumnboys Mon 15-Aug-16 16:35:34

I am 17 months older than my sister. We are still really close 40 yrs on - she's the person who will listen to all my blether and give my head a loving wobble. Our mum, when asked, will say that the first year had its moments, but that she thinks that's probably always true of going from 1 to 2. Good luck!

AnnaT45 Mon 15-Aug-16 16:45:14

I have just 19 months between mine. It's early days as DD2 is only 13 days old! however it's ok so far! Better than k thought. I think your second baby is less of a shock and you're more confident. Trying to involve the toddler as much as poss with nappy changes etc and she is so loving towards her sister.

For me the hardest part so far was being heavily pregnant with a toddler. I felt so knackered all the time. Good luck for your pregnancy and try not to worry too much!

cosmicglittergirl Mon 15-Aug-16 16:53:12

I've exactly 17 months between my two DDs. One is three next month, the other just over 18 months. I agree that a newborn and toddler is much better than a toddler and pregnant, but I did start to find it hard when DD2 got to 7/8 months and became mobile thus annoying her sister. Add that to sleepless nights and being stuck in over winter with two small children... However, now they are a little older it's eased off again. They sleep through and are starting to play together. I guess what I'm saying is that there are pluses and minuses to all gaps. I did put DD1 in nursery a couple of mornings a week which helped too.

InsaneMummyOfThree Mon 15-Aug-16 17:03:43

Hi op I have 12 months and 2 weeks between my 1st and 2nd. They are both dd's. We then went on to have a ds 18 month after that. So when ds was born I had a 2 1/2 yo, a 1 1/2 yo and a new born. It has been challenging at times like after the c section when u can't drive but for the most part we get along fine. I think having structure and routine I'd the key. Mine are now 4,3 and 18 months so just be warned, it'd addictive. Lol. I always tell everyone it's the best thing iv ever done and I mean it. Congrats on ur bfp. Xx

Nottalotta Mon 15-Aug-16 17:42:29

insane your user name sounds appropriate! How did you manage with the c section? I had one with ds and wad fine, great, but obvs this time he will be around 20 months so no option to sit down feeding all day!

InsaneMummyOfThree Mon 15-Aug-16 17:59:36

Haha Nottalotta, they drive me insane sometimes!!!!. Like now, tea time. I don't know how many times iv just said "sit down and eat ur tea!!!". Aaarrggghhhh!!!! They were all c sections and obvs with the first u get to just sitting Down and feed baby ( the joys of breastfeeding). Second time round my hubby took his 2 weeks off work but after that he went back to 6 days a week n I suppose i just had to get on with it. I spent alot of time sitting on the floor so that I could still play with little one. Bean bag or comfy cushion although i did struggle to get up.Oh I also remember that when ds was born the girls always wanted to play doctors so I was the patient and spent many an hour lying on the sofa being made better. Maybe buy ur little one a doctor bag to encourage this play. Lol. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now