Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How much movement do you feel?

(16 Posts)
Dueindecember2016 Mon 15-Aug-16 08:03:46

21 weeks here and have felt regular movements and she seems to have slowed down now. I'm not hugely concerned as she could just be laying in a different position.

What is the frequency you feel your baby move?

Snowberry86 Mon 15-Aug-16 08:06:31

It can vary. I'm 30 weeks and somedays in some positions it's like a rave in their and you can physically see him/her kicking and moving.

Other times when he/she has changed position it's less obviously and I really have to be still and feel for the movement.

Talk to your midwife if you are converned, they will reassure you I'm sure.

DoubleCarrick Mon 15-Aug-16 08:08:54

I'm 19 weeks. I feel the baby move every day but sometimes it's more frequent/stronger than others. I think it's the position of the baby. Any time I'm concerned I jump in the bath as that always gets the baby moving

hopinghopefullyagain Mon 15-Aug-16 08:17:13

It really doesn’t matter what other people feel, it's about what is typical for your baby. If that has changed, then I would get some medical advice. Movement patterns do alter, especially as early as 21 weeks but I've never yet met a maternity professional who wouldn't rather someone get reduced movement checked out.

Jayne266 Mon 15-Aug-16 08:24:11

As a person who constantly stresses about her babys movements, I was advised to lie on your left side and count the movements within a 2 hour period.
But I agree with other posts each baby has different times and triggers, mine moves more when I relax or eat.

ButtMuncher Mon 15-Aug-16 08:30:20

It's a bit of a nightmare tbh - I don't have an anterior placenta, but I've definitely not felt huge amounts of movement during my pregnancy.

I started feeling movement properly around 26 weeks which is quite late, and since then it's been sporadic up until week 30 - had a few days where I felt nothing and had to have monitoring.

Post 30w I've felt daily movement usually when eating or lying down - no distinguishable pattern despite what they claim - I'm now nearly 34 weeks and have had to have three days of traces as baby was very quiet for three days last week. Traces came back fine, and last two days he's been moving as normal.

It's so tough - you're really encouraged to concentrate on movement and to advise with any reduction, but sometimes reductions just happen.

Apparently counting the kicks is not now the advised protocol - it's if your babies movement reduces or changes significantly than usual that we should be phoning midwives.

It's a total minefield though - as my baby regularly has very active followed by sleepy days grin

happylass Mon 15-Aug-16 11:38:56

I'm also 21 weeks and am feeling quite a bit of movement - mostly when I'm sat with my feet up but the last few days I've also felt a few kicks whilst walking around. I tend to feel 4 or 5 movements in quick succession then nothing for a few hours. I do have days with less movement though. As you said I think it depends on baby's position. I read somewhere that you won't feel any sort of pattern until 24 weeks, but, as others have said best to get checked out if you're concerned.

Popskipiekin Mon 15-Aug-16 11:42:17

23 weeks here, mine fluctuates a lot. Baby definitely responds to loud noise (e.g. I went to a musical last week and it was all over the place!) but I've noticed a general downturn in movement since changing my diet over the past two weeks and having a lot less sugar. I'm anyway sort of noticing a pattern and I think each week it's getting more frequent, but there are often long lulls (12 hours+) which get me a bit anxious, but then it starts up again.

FifiRebel Mon 15-Aug-16 13:38:54

I had an anterior placenta and never felt much movement. Around 20 weeks I got into a slight pattern and would usually feel baby a lot at night. It did become obvious what was normal for me.

At 28 weeks I had first episode of reduced movements & went in for reassurance. All fine. It happened again at 30 weeks and I had a scan only because I'd been in once before (I'd actually had a growth scan week before and all was fine). The scan showed my placenta wasn't working properly and my baby was delivered by emergency c section at 30+5 because he had stopped growing.

Please do call midwives or go into hospital if you have any concerns about movements! My mum had told me I was probably overreacting...

Popskipiekin Mon 15-Aug-16 14:15:09

Wow Fifi how scary and how brilliant you trusted your instinct. It's such the natural British way to not want to make a fuss, I know that's what holds me back sometimes from ringing up. But yours isn't the first story I've heard of reduced movement being an indicator of something very serious indeed. Hope your baby is doing well now?

FifiRebel Mon 15-Aug-16 14:44:46

Thanks pop! I am such a worrier so I assumed it would be another case of me overreacting (and tbh I think the staff did too). Couldn't believe it when they said I wouldn't be going home, my pregnancy had been straightforward until then.

My baby is doing brilliantly now thank you smile he spent 6 weeks in NICU and has been home with me for nearly 6 weeks too. He was born at 2lb 10 and is now 5lb 12oz bless him

jellycat1 Mon 15-Aug-16 14:55:57

If you notice any significant change definitely go and have it checked.

Dueindecember2016 Mon 15-Aug-16 15:21:27

She's been wiggling around today which is a relief but it's so easy to get concerned that things aren't right.

Thanks for all your stories

nataliefruit Tue 16-Aug-16 20:03:26

I could literally have written this post - I'm 21 weeks & have found a pattern to my baby's movements & they tailed off yesterday so I went to the midwife to get checked just in case. Heartbeat was fine but that's all they could check with just being 21 weeks. I've felt him more today so I'm thinking it was just him moving to a different position so I couldn't feel as much.

The midwife was really lovely and assured me that it I ever have any concerns to pop into one of the drop in sessions but to try not to worry too much as its still early & he won't have reliable patterns of movement for a few more weeks. If you're feeling worried then don't hesitate to speak to your midwife as I'm sure you'd rather call and for it to be nothing smile

Dueindecember2016 Tue 16-Aug-16 20:41:49

Nataliefruit - that's so good to hear I'm not alone. When are you due? I'm 23rd December smile

nataliefruit Tue 16-Aug-16 21:15:12

You are definitely not alone & I'm feeling him loads tonight so not sure what yesterday was all about! I'm due 25th December tho I've no doubt he won't arrive on time - little Christmas babies! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now