Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gender scan... told it was a girl. Thoughts please?

(43 Posts)
AspiringMother Sun 14-Aug-16 13:43:02

Photo attached, taken when I was exactly 15 weeks and 4 days although they argued that I may have been earlier despite my last 12 week scan being bang on.

They said there were two lines so it meant girl. Struggling to see it myself and want to hear what other people think. We've bought some girls clothes but I still feel slightly sceptical! confused

Oysterbabe Sun 14-Aug-16 13:45:54

I can't even tell which bit of the baby I'm looking at.

Ask again at the anomaly scan, it will be more developed by then.

FuzzyOwl Sun 14-Aug-16 13:47:56

I have no idea from that picture but it is was a private scan, specifically to find out the sex, then the sonographer generally has you back for a rescan if they are not very confident of what they are telling you.

peanutnutty Sun 14-Aug-16 13:48:37

As oyster, can't tell what's what on that scan!

Do you need to know?

AspiringMother Sun 14-Aug-16 13:48:58

Thanks guys. It was private. The photo is very confusing, isn't it?! LOL!

Afreshstartplease Sun 14-Aug-16 13:49:08

As other say I can't tell what I'm looking at!

I had a gender scan at 16 weeks though and the boy bits were very very clearly boy bits!

NickNacks Sun 14-Aug-16 13:50:07

Do you honestly think you are going to get a more accurate answer on here than from your sonographer? hmm

Floggingmolly Sun 14-Aug-16 13:52:35

Why are you "sceptical" of what someone trained to use the equipment has told you? Do you seriously think randoms on the Internet you know better?

AspiringMother Sun 14-Aug-16 14:03:10

Don't get why my post has attracted so many sarcastic comments. I happened to stumble across a forum where expectant mums found out that their scans had been guessed incorrectly. Obviously, with how awful the picture appears to be, I knew the chances of anyone knowing on here was quite small but I was still intrigued.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, I just don't appreciate some of the more sarky comments - even if my post was naive/stupid or not.

InfiniteCurve Sun 14-Aug-16 14:05:58

Yes, why not believe your sonographer who is doing this all the time,and has doubtless seen many scans where they are sure and probably some where they aren't - and as professionals in those circumstances would tell you!
The fact that you ( and us on the Internet) can't tell just means you are not trained and experienced in interpreting ultrasounds!

NeedACleverNN Sun 14-Aug-16 14:06:28

If they say it's a girl, then you can celebrate its a girl BUT be prepared that it could be wrong as its a boy.

It does happen. No one can be 100% certain with a scan.

I've had a boy and a girl and both scans were right. But I could see obvious boy bits and I could clearly see girl bits when I had a scan done at 35 weeks

AspiringMother Sun 14-Aug-16 14:07:12

Well, thanks for your opinion. I just feel if you have nothing posit

AspiringMother Sun 14-Aug-16 14:07:56

*positive to say then it's best to say nothing at all. I'm quite sensitive as it is, so reading all of these comments bites.

Whataboutwhathuh Sun 14-Aug-16 14:09:34

it is likely but not certain to be a girl, unless you see an obvious penis or have the harmony scan or a third trimester scan that shows the genital areas I wouldn't take it as definite.

So glad we painted the nursery is neutral colours.

FruitCider Sun 14-Aug-16 14:09:42

I would be complaining about the quality of that scan pic to be honest with you. I thought mine were bad.

AspiringMother Sun 14-Aug-16 14:10:16

Thanks both for the advice. I think I'll book in for another one in a few weeks time.

APlaceOnTheCouch Sun 14-Aug-16 14:11:06

Tbh I wouldn't buy clothes or decorate on the results of a scan as I know too many people who were told they were expecting one sex and then had the other.
Congratulations on your pregnancy whatever sex your baby ends up being flowers

NeedACleverNN Sun 14-Aug-16 14:11:22

It is a very strange scan though

What is it supposed to be? Is it the bottom section of the baby laid a different way?

AspiringMother Sun 14-Aug-16 14:12:02

Thanks. This is my first time so it's more about reassurance that I'm doing the right thing if anything. I'll definitely refrain from buying clothes!!

Ninasimoneinthemorning Sun 14-Aug-16 14:12:05

If your unhappy with it go back and have another, we ended up doing that.

The sonographer was faffing for ages getting me to lie on my side, then told me to go get a fizzy drink ect.. When we came back in 20 mins later she still didn't sound convinced and bit 🤔😒 so we went back and the other lady was more sure/convinced it was a girl and at my 20 week scan - it was confirmed there too!

Did she sound certain ?

AspiringMother Sun 14-Aug-16 14:12:32

Thanks. This is my first time so it's more about reassurance that I'm doing the right thing if anything. I'll definitely refrain from buying any more clothes!!

Whatsername17 Sun 14-Aug-16 14:13:20

What is the scan pictures of? We had a private scan and we've been told girl too. My cousin was told girl at her 20 week and then private 26 scan but had a boy. Sonographer's do get it wrong. We were given the picture attached that shows her bum and legs with the arrow pointing between the legs showing girl bits. If you could explain what I'm seeing on your scan I might be able to help!

NeedACleverNN Sun 14-Aug-16 14:13:25

You don't need to refrain from buying clothes.

You can buy gender neutral items until your certain

AspiringMother Sun 14-Aug-16 14:13:35

She didn't really tell me. Wish I had asked now. Felt as though I was naive throughout the whole experience and didn't ask enough questions as to what made her come up with her guess. blush

Whatsername17 Sun 14-Aug-16 14:14:07

Damn it I didn't crop the photo. Going to ask me to remove.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now