Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

scared of scan result today

(24 Posts)
MrPoppersPenguins Sat 13-Aug-16 11:24:37

I'm 9+2 weeks pregnant after a mmc at 12 week scan with my last pregnancy (already have one child). We have booked a private scan today for "reassurance" but I'm petrified! I think I'm just going to lie on the table and cry. I'm so scared the same will happen as last time and there will be no heartbeat.
Anybody got any tips to keep me calm and sane? I've felt so ill through both pregnancies so the fact I've still got symptoms isn't even reassuring.

RaeSkywalker Sat 13-Aug-16 11:37:19

What time is the scan?

I can't imagine how you must feel- I haven't had your previous experience and was still visibly shaking when I had my dating scan. I just said to the sonographer that I felt really nervous and could they let me know if there was a heartbeat right away (I knew that they needed to check other things after the heartbeat before telling us that all looked good, but I didn't want to be laying there waiting to find out about whether the heartbeat was even there for minutes).

Hope all goes well- I will be thinking of you today.

MrPoppersPenguins Sat 13-Aug-16 11:42:25

Thanks. It's 1pm. I feel the same about just wanting to know if they can see a heartbeat quickly. I was lying on the table for what seemed like ages last time so I knew something wasn't right because my dc1s image was shown to us so quickly

Pearlman Sat 13-Aug-16 11:43:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DoubleCarrick Sat 13-Aug-16 11:45:09

Number one tip - tell the lady how terrified you are. When I had mine at 8 weeks she knew how scared I was of another mmc that she found it and instantly said she saw a heart beat.

For what it's worth, I got on the table,.lifted my top and by that point was sobbing. She found it hard to scan me my stomach was heaving so much from the crying grin

MrPoppersPenguins Sat 13-Aug-16 11:51:22

Pearlman- no other problems with this (or the last) pregnancy. Constant nausea and fatigue. Just out of the blue discovery at 12 week scan last time.

I think I will tell them how scared I am. I'm glad I'm going somewhere different for the scan this time (no association with the place it happened last time). I'm sure I'll feel very emotional. I almost don't want to know... If I haven't had the scan in my head I'm still pregnant! If that makes any sense!

I know I'm lucky to be in the situation of being able to conceive but this a a bigger roller coaster of emotions than I thought.

Pearlman Sat 13-Aug-16 11:57:25

Whatsername17 Sat 13-Aug-16 12:05:25

I went through exactly the same thing. Tell the sonographer so that she's quick. Good luck. I sobbed all of the way through mine x

MrPoppersPenguins Sat 13-Aug-16 12:11:37

My logical brain tells me that Pearlman. It's not persuaded my emotional brain though! On our way now. Everything crossed. Thanks for the advice.

Pearlman Sat 13-Aug-16 12:15:52

Whatsername17 Sat 13-Aug-16 12:17:15

Let us know how you get on. I had my scan in the same place, same scan room and same sonographer who diagnosed my mmc. It was completely fine but I know what you mean. Mmc is cruel but hopefully it will be fine this time x

Jodie1982 Sat 13-Aug-16 12:28:28

Good luck. I'm sure baby is perfect. smile

Emz32 Sat 13-Aug-16 12:56:20

I had a MMC and was then terrified when I got pregnant again. I too was sick all day with the MMC & this pregnancy. You are doing the right thing by getting an early scan & going somewhere different. I did the same. I went in at 6.5 weeks & they couldn't find a heartbeat. Went back after 10 days & there it was. Now 19.5 weeks. Chances are you will be ok this time but just let them know & try to stay calm & breath. It's very emotional & they are understanding. Wishing you the best of luck

Haggisfish Sat 13-Aug-16 13:00:54

Sending you positive vibes!

MrPoppersPenguins Sat 13-Aug-16 13:16:59

I blubbered on the table until she showed me the heartbeat!!!!! So relieved. Measured a few days later than I thought too. Thanks for all the messages x

Haggisfish Sat 13-Aug-16 13:17:50

Hurray! Oh I'm so pleased for you. Been there when midwife couldn't find heartbeat-mine was fine too.

pastabest Sat 13-Aug-16 13:29:57

Why don't you joint us on the current pregnant after MC thread OP. Lots of support over there for the next few difficult weeks.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2685123-Staying-posifrickentive-Thread-10-for-ladies-pg-after-mc?msgid=62864178

Whatsername17 Sat 13-Aug-16 14:14:56

Really pleased for you x

RaeSkywalker Sat 13-Aug-16 15:11:06

So, so pleased for you grin

HPFA Sat 13-Aug-16 15:17:48

Very pleased too. Guess you can't celebrate with a glass of wine though. My midwife once took ages to find a heartbeat but very luckily baby had been bouncing about a minute before so I didn't panic too much!

Pearlman Sat 13-Aug-16 17:26:57

TheLegendOfBeans Sat 13-Aug-16 17:31:17

So pleased Penguins.

I had a mc last weekend and it's absolutely blown my brain to bits. We were and are so keen to have more children (we have 1) and this setback has absolutely petrified me from getting preg again lest history repeat.

What I'm trying to say is I think anyone who goes in for another pregnancy after a miscarriage is braver than a thousand lions and I salute you and the other mums on this thread who've had the balls to do it.

Good luck for the rest of your pg flowers

Pearlman Sat 13-Aug-16 18:08:00

MrPoppersPenguins Sat 13-Aug-16 21:17:04

Thanks pasta I will!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now