Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Puppps - Help?

(10 Posts)
ruthietoothie Fri 12-Aug-16 22:39:27

Hi,

I'm 29 weeks pregnant why my third. After a rash appeared on my bump, and then spread to my legs, my GP diagnosed PUPPP earlier this week and gave me some mild steroid cream. I am really struggling with the itching and discomfort and finding it almost impossible to sleep.

And the rash is spreading - it's now all down my legs, and under my arms too!

Today I went back to my gp and saw another doctor. He poo pooed the idea it was puppps and instead said he thought it was a fungal dermatitis and prescribed a different cream. I have no faith in him really and now feel lost as to what to do next....

Thinking maybe I should try and see a dermatologist privately or get back to my gp Monday. All my symptoms seem to exactly match PUPPP so not sure why doctor was so quick to dismiss the first doctors diagnosis.

Anyone got any advice or had a similar experience?

Thanks!!!

FuzzyOwl Fri 12-Aug-16 22:46:23

I would go back to your GP on Monday. Really hope that whatever it is you get treatment that makes a difference and the itching eases soon.

smallplainblonde Sat 13-Aug-16 00:02:29

I had this and it is so awful I wouldn't wish it on anyone. You need a stronger cream. The cream my GP prescribed did absolutely nothing for me. I had a appointment with a consultant at my maternity hospital the week after and she seemed to take it a lot more seriously. She prescribed me a stronger cream and it cleared up within 2 days despite the consultant telling me I would have it until I gave birth (I think I was 25 weeks). It would definitely be worth going to a dermatologist, that's what I was going to do if it didn't improve. Please push for something stronger, in my experience the rash was getting worse and unbearable. Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

littlepooch Sat 13-Aug-16 00:25:26

Oh god you poor thing. I had pups and it was quite honestly the worst thing ever. Mine popped up when I was 37 weeks and overnight spread from my tummy to everywhere except my face and neck. It was so bad I was referred to the consultant at the hospital and he saw me every few days. He was happy to induce me as I was in such a state and it was so bad. Luckily DD decided to make an appearance at bang on 40 weeks but it was an awful few weeks.

I got prescribed antihistamines and menthol aqueous cream. I don't thing DH or I slept in those 3 weeks I was so flipping uncomfortable. The menthol cream took the edge off (I kept it in the fridge) but I was slapping the stuff on hourly. I just itched and itched. I could have been prescribed a mild steroid cream too but I can't remember why I wasn't now. Cool showers helped too and cold flannels.

They said it wouldn't clear up until I gave birth but it did start to improve after 2 weeks. It miraculously disappeared once I went into labour with DD and amazingly despite scratching myself raw in places I don't have a single mark left on me.

Definitely push for it to be taken seriously. I was so lucky that my consultant was so supportive and the hospital did everything to try and help me. I really hope they give you something to take the edge off at the very least xxx

littlepooch Sat 13-Aug-16 00:28:14

Ps can you go straight to your midwife/hospital if no joy from your GP?

Mine flared up on a Sunday so was seen on the maternity day assessment ward and referred to see the consultant the next day. Just wondering if maternity/midwife might be more helpful or have come across this before?

ruthietoothie Sat 13-Aug-16 09:08:30

Thanks so so much for the advice and sympathy. So helpful. It seems like a good idea to maybe try and go via midwife / consultant if I don't get anywhere with the gp on Monday. Feels a little like I'm going mad. Just want to scratch myself raw.

I'm under the care of a consultant through my pregnancy so could perhaps see if I can get an apt with them sooner.

It just feels a bit wretched especially as it keeps spreading and so more and more of me gets more and more itchy.

Out of interest, did those of you who had it end up with boys. We don't know what we are having but I've heard it's more common with boys

smallplainblonde Sat 13-Aug-16 10:48:30

Definitely see your consultant, they will probably be a lot more familiar with it. I feel for you, it's so awful! I was convinced I was having a boy because I also read it was common in boy pregnancies but I had a little girl just over 2 weeks ago! Hope you get some relief soon flowers

Jodie1982 Sat 13-Aug-16 12:52:27

I think MAU would be the best place to go and get thoroughly checked. With all my antenatal health probs/concerns I'd go there. I hope you get some relief very soon.

Cinnamon84 Sat 13-Aug-16 23:18:36

I have this too so totally sympathise. I'm due on Tuesday and have had this since 38 weeks. My doctor didn't know what it was but just diagnosed it as a pregnancy rash and has prescribed piriton- not sure if it's working but has helped me sleep better. One thing im pretty sure is helping is Pine tar soap- I bought it off amazon and after reading advice on puppps I've been showering and lathering it all over the rashy parts 3 or 4 times a day. It's still red and a bit itchy but the bumps have started to go. I also tried cider Apple vinegar which bloody stings but seemed to make it go down. Apart from this people have recommended drinking nettle tea and v8 juice. I've also got some methol cream prescribed for exzema earlier on in the pregnancy- I haven't figured out the magic formula but I'm going between this, coconut oil and calamine lotion and it's starting to ease slightly.
Hope you get some relief soon, definitely order some pine tar soap! x

lilwelshyrs Sat 13-Aug-16 23:27:01

I had it too! I found the best thing was Grandpa's Old Pine Soap!
You can buy it on Amazon. I showered with it 5 times a day and then after a week of using it all the time, I was back to two showers a day with it.
Once baby is born, it should get better and you can take piriton.

It sucks. Really really sucks. Plenty of cold showers too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now