Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone losing weight with gestational diabetes?

(6 Posts)
Bellabelloo Fri 12-Aug-16 21:49:12

I have lost 5lbs in the last couple of week simply due to cutting back on carbs after being diagnosed with GD. I am exercising loads and still eating about 1,800-2,000 calories a day, but all low carbs and no sugar. Anyone else experiencing this? Is it bad for the baby? Or will he be getting all the energy he needs from my fat stores? Thanks!

Vap0 Fri 12-Aug-16 23:08:45

Hi

Yes it's very normal to lose weight on a gd diet. I've lost 8lbs now since cutting the carbs and eating more fats. There is a fantastic FB group which is excellent for support and meal ideas.

Gestational Diabetes UK mums

I believe baby takes all it needs from you so no need to worry.

Bellabelloo Fri 12-Aug-16 23:13:06

Thanks Vap0. I will send a request to join at a later date. Only family know I am pregnant and I'm hoping to get away with telling friends until the 20 week scan (am 15w4d now). It's a closed group rather than a secret group so I wouldn't want it showing up on my newsfeed that I had joined! But thanks so much for the recommendation. Would be great to connect with others. X

camelfinger Fri 12-Aug-16 23:17:39

I did, and the baby ended up being a reasonable size, as in, not massive as was feared. I just need to find the motivation to do the diet now I'm not pregnant. Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy.

Bellabelloo Fri 12-Aug-16 23:28:21

Ha! I'm already making a wish list of food for when I've had the baby, camelfinger!! Mainly cake. There's such an incentive when you are worrying about your baby. If I am tempted in the slightest I just remind myself of all the additional glucose my baby will be flooded with and it makes it so easy to say no. There's always sweets, chocolates and biscuits doing the rounds at work, so temptation is never far away!! X

Vap0 Sat 13-Aug-16 09:56:01

I think the group may show up if someone was to look through your list of groups but I don't believe it shows up in your newsfeed. You can't search for people in the group either. Best of luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now