Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fed up with sickness

(9 Posts)
LondonRoo Fri 12-Aug-16 09:27:54

Can't even look at ginger now I had so much of it in the early weeks.

I'm 16+4 and feeling constantly nauseous, a bit dizzy and throwing up more now than in the 1st trimester. I'm burping constantly too.

It's not worrying in the sense that I am able to eat and drink and keeping most things down but it's getting very frustrating. I haven't had a proper dinner in ages and just wish I could sit down and enjoy a meal instead of grazing and picking over things.

Pre pregnancy I loved cooking and having friends over for meals so missing that too.

Can someone who has been here before please tell me it will come to an end and I will be able to stomach meals again at some point!!!

Roo

usernoidea Fri 12-Aug-16 15:28:40

Hi roo
I'm not going to lie and say it gets better soon but I just wanted to say I totally know how you're feeling
It's so shit. Just have to take each day as it comes and try to remain positive that it will pass.
The chances of you having it the whole pregnancy (like me) is extremely slim
X
Take care -,sending positive vibes!

Mouse510 Fri 12-Aug-16 16:23:59

Hi Roo

I'm 10 +2 and been feeling pretty crap since bang on 6 weeks.

I was similar to you that we would often have friends round for dinner and I had a good appetite. (probably too good!)

Now my portions are tiny because it is all I can face. I definitely feel better when I do manage to eat but just a tiny bit too much to eat makes me bloated and uncomfortable. I'm really hoping the 2nd trimester brings a change.

I'm also with you on the burping, so much burping. My husband finds my manly burps hilarious!

I hope you start to feel better soon.flowers

LaurieLemons Fri 12-Aug-16 16:32:46

Go and see your GP! They will give you medication if it's lasted past 12 weeks. I wish I went sooner. I had it until 24 weeks so know how miserable you're feeling, with this pregnancy I plan to go 12 weeks on the dot if it's anywhere near as bad as last time.

RuskBaby Fri 12-Aug-16 19:37:07

Hi Roo,
I was sick 6-8 times a day to start with which tailed off for 2 weeks at 18 weeks but came back and is now only 2-3 times a week at 25+5 so it will get better. We made it out for Sunday lunch last weekend and I was so happy it's crazy. We are normally complete foodies and done out a lot. Plain food helped a lot, chicken breast and mashed potatoe, boring but food if you can manage it.

Jamjar12 Sat 13-Aug-16 16:56:16

Hi Roo, I feel your pain. I was sick a lot during my first and second trimester! I was physically being sick between 10-20 times a day and kept thinking that I just need to get to 12 weeks as that's when everyone said it would stop. Then I just wanted to get to 14 weeks. Then 16. When I was still being sick at 17 weeks, I thought well I've got this all the way through now! But then I started being sick for specific reasons (the hairdryer/shower steam making me too hot, car sick, the smell of chicken, rushing around etc) and it went down to 2-3 times a day.
I'm now 26 weeks and haven't been sick since 18 weeks. On the other side of it, I can't believe how ill I was and how I just accepted that's what pregnancy does to you! There's no other time you're just expected to get on with life whilst being so ill lol.

If I'd known I'd feel better at 18 weeks, 15 week pregnant me would have been so much happier but I really felt like it would never end. I really hope yours subsides soon. It well and truly sucks and it's awful how flippant people are about it when you literally feel like it's ruining your life! I didn't have dinner for weeks- just had a crisp sandwich as that's the only thing I could hold down. Now I can eat almost anything and it's incredibly liberating. I really wish you all the best! Just keep hanging in there and don't feel bad about just eating what you can eat. If all you can eat is super thick white bread and cheese and onion mccoys, then who gives an eff? Enjoy whatever food you can.

LightTripper Sat 13-Aug-16 20:09:08

Just to say in my first pregnancy I only stopped throwing up at 20 weeks, and I have another friend who only stopped at 18, so the fact you are still sick now doesn't necessarily mean you are stuck with it until the end.

Can't say I really started actively enjoying food again until after DD arrived. On the bright side it makes the newborn stage so amazing, you will feel like a whole new person!

Don't forget there may be drugs you can try if you want to (even before 12 weeks actually). The ladies on the Hyperemesis thread will be really helpful if you want advice on that - you don't have to have a formal diagnosis to be welcome on the thread, it's for anybody struggling with sickness.

Good luck! Xx

LondonRoo Sun 14-Aug-16 09:49:48

Thanks everyone. I managed to go out for lunch yesterday with dp and a friend and really enjoyed it. My nausea is worst in the evenings and it came back of course but it was so good just to enjoy some normal food!

Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't last until the end. My mum tells me her's lasted until 20 weeks with her two pregnancies so hoping I take after her and only have a few weeks left of this.

LightTripper Mon 15-Aug-16 11:28:51

Fingers crossed Roo - good sign that you were able to go out for lunch at least. I also find resting makes a huge difference (easier said than done I know!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now