Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

could my toddler tell I'm pregnant? - struggling to BF

(8 Posts)
mendimoo Thu 11-Aug-16 23:04:48

Just over a week ago DP and I had unprotected sex three times. I've recently got my period back after having 22 month old DD and my last one finished three days before we first had sex. Usually I feed DD to sleep and it takes minutes. For the past two nights however, she's wriggled and fussed and gotten angry while taking over an hour to settle. She's not ill, it's not hot here and she hasn't napped more or anything. DP joked tonight that it's because my milks changing because he's got me pregnant. It got me thinking, that wouldn't happen that quickly would it?!

flossietoot Thu 11-Aug-16 23:07:42

No, she maybe has just decided she doesn't want to breast feed anymore. My daughter did this at a year old.

DesignedForLife Fri 12-Aug-16 09:50:03

My milk supply dropped as soon as I got pregnant (even though I didn't realise I was for another two weeks), and DD got very fussy and was only happy if I gave her top up milk. So it's possible but wouldn't rely on fussing as a sign you are pregnant as it could be teething or self weaning at that age.

user1467983757 Fri 12-Aug-16 11:50:16

I reckon she has decided no more feeding which is fine. Nearly 2 doesn't surprise me if she is ready to stop.

mendimoo Fri 12-Aug-16 23:50:01

She was desperate to feed and upset if I covered up but just seemed really unsatisfied when she tried to feed confused

I guess time will tell!

ALittleOblivion Sat 13-Aug-16 08:41:52

My DD was a similar age when I got pregnant and I didn't notice an immediate change, but there was nonetheless a relatively rapid drop in my supply along with pain for me when feeding (probably by about 8 weeks or sooner - I can't remember exactly!)

I suppose a very fast drop in supply could be possible given variation between people / boobs, but a week after sex might be a bit soon as it would only be around the time of implantation.... You could of course still be pregnant though even if it is unrelated ! :-)

I had intended to keep feeding DD but unfortunately had to stop by about 12 weeks along due to my milk almost entirely drying up, lots of pain and me developing a strong aversion to feeding her. She was NOT happy! I do however know several people who fed the whole way through another pregnancy so my example is not always the case.

Good luck if you are hoping to be pregnant soon!

Spottyladybird Sat 13-Aug-16 13:00:30

I found when my periods returned (at 22m) my milk supply dropped around the time I ovulated and around my period so that could be why she's frustrated?

My milk supply didn't drop in pregnancy but bf became uncomfortable and sore.

CoolioAndTheGang Sat 13-Aug-16 13:11:41

It could just be tasting different around ovulation/period because of the changes in hormones. My dc is fussing a lot before having a feed recently, I think it is because she is associating bfing with naps/sleep and is protesting to assert her independence. She always feeds eventually after flapping/kicking/wriggling and gets hysterical if I try to put her in her cot without a feed hmm She could be teething and maybe her gums are sore?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now