Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Swimming in pregnancy - bad for you?

(26 Posts)
Bellabelloo Thu 11-Aug-16 16:28:11

I have been swimming loads and doing antenatal aqua aerobics. I thought this was good for me! My midwife has just said the chemicals are really bad and could cause miscarriages! Anyone else heard this?!

ItchyFoot Thu 11-Aug-16 16:30:29

Never heard that! My midwife's office is at the local leisure centre and she often waves us out the door with dd happily announcing we're going swimming.

Pearlman Thu 11-Aug-16 16:31:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cabrinha Thu 11-Aug-16 16:33:10

My local midwifery service ran an aqua natal course themselves in the local pool!

Have you asked this midwife which chemicals, how they're going to get into your body, and what their effect is? And what peer reviewed journal she's read this scaremongering nonsense in?!

I'd be asking to see her professional regestration I think!

doleritedinosaur Thu 11-Aug-16 16:33:28

I swim on a weekly basis with DS & I'm 10 weeks & I know other pregnant women who do the classes as well.

What evidence did she have?

carrotcakecupcake Thu 11-Aug-16 16:34:45

I've never heard this?? Swimming is what got me through my first pregnancy, from easing all the aches and pains to staying in --some sort of--shape. As PP have said I'd ask for some more information/evidence; particularly as swimming is often touted as a really good form of exercise when pregnant.

InTheDessert Thu 11-Aug-16 16:34:51

Nope, not heard that, and swam weekly with both pregnancies. I think keeping moving lead to 2 very easy deliveries.

EthelDurant123 Thu 11-Aug-16 16:35:11

I loved swimming whilst pregnant because it made me feel lighter and stronger at the same time. My midwife encouraged me. You need to find evidence (case studies, research papers) and a good body of it as well, to find out if she is right. I would venture she is not.

ohidoliketobe Thu 11-Aug-16 16:37:29

There's a midwife run aqua- natal class in my area too, so they obviously haven't received that memo.
Swimming is great in pregnancy. Gentle exercise to keep you moving, especially in the third trimester when you feel the size of a whale!

reallyanotherone Thu 11-Aug-16 16:44:47

"The chemicals" are generally chlorine based .

Exactly the same as in domestos and milton sterilising fluid you clean baby bottles in.

Ask her to back up her statement. I can't imagine that everyone taking an aquanatal class will miscarry...

MrsHulk Thu 11-Aug-16 17:00:28

I think that's nonsense. I've been advised by medics to swim in pregnancy as its good exercise and helps with all your aches and pains.

GashleyCrumbTiny Thu 11-Aug-16 17:28:18

Pretty sure that's bollocks. I know Google isn't always the most reliable fact checker but there's a wealth of fairly reputable looking sites out there actively recommending swimming. Pretty sure I'd have heard if new evidence had changed this advice. There'd be fewer aqua natal classes around too!

Frazzled2207 Thu 11-Aug-16 17:34:55

Rubbish! My midwife actually ran an aqua natal class.

Cabrinha Thu 11-Aug-16 17:37:24

I actually think your midwife needs to be reported to her line manager bike peddling crap.

ItchyFoot Thu 11-Aug-16 17:39:35

Yeah I don't think she should be allowed to continue spouting crap like that.

Gardencentregroupie Thu 11-Aug-16 17:41:33

Don't swim breaststroke, it's bad for your pelvis, it buggered mine completely. Apart from that swimming is great when pregnant.

Missgraeme Thu 11-Aug-16 17:48:19

Am betting your mw hasn't had a baby. Always the ones with odd advice! My last one insisted I did a breast feeding advice survey thing despite successfully bf ten kids already!!

BikeRunSki Thu 11-Aug-16 17:51:17

I swam throughout both my pg with no probs.

alltouchedout Thu 11-Aug-16 17:53:34

The only advice I got was avoid breaststroke, the kick really isn't good for spd (forget the new name for it). Swimming in general was promoted as a low impact way to stay active and feel weightless though!

SockQueen Thu 11-Aug-16 20:31:46

Another one with midwives running aqua natal classes here! Though you have to wait till after your first scan before joining up, not sure if that's due to any imaginary mc risk though. I have heard you should avoid breaststroke especially if you have pelvic problems, but I prefer front crawl and backstroke so it's not an issue for me.

Bellabelloo Thu 11-Aug-16 20:53:59

Dunno! I did Google and there's a few wushu washy articles about it. I shall choose to ignore! Thanks for the advice on breaststroke....that's my main stroke!!

RuskBaby Fri 12-Aug-16 19:41:38

I do breast stroke arms and front crawl legs - look a bit daft and takes a little concentration but is so relaxing in the pool. Sunday evening at our local pool sees at least 4 obviously pregnant ladies.

Sun16 Sat 13-Aug-16 10:20:08

I agree go easy on the breaststroke. Ended up in a lot of pain with my first pregnancy from this.

happylass Sat 13-Aug-16 10:57:32

My midwife actually told me that swimming was a great form of exercise whilst pregnant! The only time I've been told not to swim was immediately after my IVF treatment as apparently there's a risk of infection if the cervix is still open from ET.

RaeSkywalker Sat 13-Aug-16 11:07:33

Glad you're ignoring OP. I'm swimming twice a week and it's helping my mood and fitness levels. I'm 25+6.

I do make sure that I shower right after getting out of the pool (rather than showering at home), but that's more because the chlorine dries my skin out than being worried about any effects it might have on the pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now