Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else with a Single umbilical Artery SUA

(6 Posts)
FlourishingMrs Wed 10-Aug-16 22:28:28

Was told at 20 week scan that I have SUA which is one vein one artery as opposed to the normal 3 Vein and two arteries. I am currently 25 weeks and have been booked a growth scan at 28 weeks. Baby was measuring fine 45-50 percentile at 20 weeks scan with no other issues mentioned.

What should we expect? Please share experiences and tips.

Bubbinsmakesthree Wed 10-Aug-16 23:48:28

Yes, I had this in my last pregnancy! I think I had some extra growth scans as a result, although I lose track a bit as I was having extra scans for other reasons.

I was (unnecessarily) worried about it - but quite late on one sonographer reassured me that it was increasingly considered a 'normal variant', and some hospitals don't even inform you that you have it. Generally the single artery grows bigger to compensate so the baby still gets the same blood supply - it's like having one dual carriageway instead of two single track roads.

DS was born at term bang on 50th centile and in perfect health!

FreezerBird Wed 10-Aug-16 23:54:44

My dd had this, and for her it was part of an array of wider problems - but most of those were also picked up at the 20 week scan.

If there were no other issues mentioned I'd be surprised if it's an issue.

Sweetheartyparty76 Thu 11-Aug-16 06:21:32

I'm 28 weeks and my baby girl has this. She was a twin and it's more common in twins. There were no other markers picked up at the scan and the consultant said that I shouldn't be concerned. I was extremely worried at first but then decided that if the consultant wasn't worried then I shouldn't be either.
It doesn't seem to affect her at the moment as she is on 75th percentile. I will be having scans every 4 weeks to see how she is getting on.

FlourishingMrs Thu 11-Aug-16 21:15:52

Oh thank you, very reassuring comments, I like the dual carriageway analysis. I was wondering why this was not mentioned on the 12 week scan.

Sorry Freezerbed that you had to go through other issues.I hope you DD is ok.

Wheels1986 Thu 11-Aug-16 22:14:42

Our friends had it. Their son was born just over 3 weeks early (which they said was quite common), just under 6lb with a bit of jaundice but 100% healthy other than that. The sonographer actually said they were petitioning to get it taken off the list of things to check at the 20-week scan because it has so little affect on baby's development. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now