Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

To scan or not to scan?

(9 Posts)
Lalalala2015 Wed 10-Aug-16 16:36:13

Hi everyone.

Sorry in advance for the long post!

I'm almost 15 weeks pregnant with my second child.

Since 2013 I had abnormal smears. Twice I had colposcopies and twice they treated the abnormal cells. I was told they were cin 2. My last smear test in January came back normal.

I told the midwives all of this at my booking appointment but have since learned that I may possibly need cervical checks and/or monitoring.

After finally getting hold of my midwife today she said that they only do checks if you've had a cone biopsy. I am considering paying for a private cervical length scan and she told me to go ahead with that if I wish but I probably don't have anything to worry about.

Obviously I am still worrying so do I go ahead and book the scan? Has anyone else had one?

Thanks.

smellsofelderberries Wed 10-Aug-16 16:58:35

I have no history of cervical issues, but for some reason was fixated on the idea of incompetant cervix. I have had 2 friends who have lost healthy babies at around 20 weeks (one of them lost 2 babies at around that point sad), so for piece of mind I went for a private scan (though I was about 23 weeks). It gave me such wonderful reassurance, and hearing the words 'extremely low/nil risk of pre-term labour' was fantastic. I only paid £80 for it at a clinic on Harley St and that seemed like the best value one out there.

smellsofelderberries Wed 10-Aug-16 16:59:40

And also, £80 felt like a tiny price to pay for the relief it bought. I would have paid double that for the reassurance.

SeashellHoarder Wed 10-Aug-16 19:53:24

elderberries is right, the piece of mind is so worth it especially if you are concerned at all.

Dixiechick17 Wed 10-Aug-16 20:16:56

I only had one lletz treatment for CIN2, my consultant scanned me at 21 weeks as had had some bleeding following intercourse and my cervix was short but ok, he scanned three weeks later and it had shortened down to 2.1cm and was soft soft, I then had steroid injections and spent the rest of the pregnancy on progesterone pessaries and from 32 weeks I was signed off to rest as much as possible. So definitely worth getting a scan. Thanks to all of this I went full term. Although started dilating as soon as I stopped the pessaries.

Lalalala2015 Wed 10-Aug-16 21:51:00

Thanks all and dixie that must have been scary.
I bled after sex early on so I just haven't had it since as I don't want to risk anything! I'm definitely getting the scan.
I know it's internal does it hurt much and will I bleed after?

Dixiechick17 Wed 10-Aug-16 21:56:43

I had internal scans weekly until 28 weeks then fortnightly, no worse than a smear test. I also bled after sex early on, abstained until the consultant visit and then had to abstain until 36 weeks just in case. The consultant said that although their was no real proof that intercourse would make the situation worse, he felt it was better to not.

SeashellHoarder Wed 10-Aug-16 22:59:34

lala the scan is painless. Not even embarrassing once you've been through childbirth! They do it as discretely as they can.
I didn't bleed after.
Good luck, x

Lalalala2015 Thu 11-Aug-16 08:13:23

Thanks I'm going to book it tomorrow smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now