Harmony test- for twins(6 Posts)
Hi, paranoid first time pregnant after 4 IVFs here!
I'm wondering about the Harmony test and if it's right for me- I'm currently 8 weeks with twins and would love some reassurance but unsure as to whether to proceed- has anyone had the test with multiples and get a negative (as in high risk) result? Is it better to know or not know?
I know they can only tell if the issues tested for are present and not whether they affect a single or both babies which I think I would find very difficult...
Hi, congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm pregnant with dichorionic twins, and had the harmony test. I presume your twins are also dichorionic?
My main worry was also that we'd find a problem and not know which twin was likely to be affected. In the end we decided to go for it and got a low risk result for all three trisomies (<1/10,000). I think if we'd got high risk we would have had amniocentesis on both babies, but we have a child already and would have had a selective reduction if that had been positive.
It's a very personal decision though, and not easy in the case of twins with the risk to the other twin. Having said that, a lot of the same issues crop up with standard NHS screening in twin pregnancies.
It might be worth you posting in antenatal tests, there may be people there who have had a high risk result in this situation. I know there are people there who have had a selective reduction after high risk NHS results and amnio.
Good luck, whatever you decide.
Hi - pregnant with twins here too. I got a "high risk" result with the NHS screening so paid for Harmony rather than have amniocentesis. The risk to each twin of the amniocentesis was 1 in 50 whereas the Downs risk was 1 in 70. Harmony came back as 1 in 10,000 risk for all three trisomies so after that we didn't bother with amniocentesis.
Hi Chris I'm not sure if harmony test is suitable for all IVF pregnancies, I would check this out before booking as some places only do harmony and it may be you need a different branded test.
Thanks all, I have found a local place that does NIPD for twins, not sure if it's Harmony branded or some other.
Good to hear that some of you had reassurance post a high risk result on the NHS. Discussed with DH last night and we are going to sleep on it for a bit, I think he was surprised that this was even an option/possibility (I call him optimistic, others call him naive ). The NHS leaflet explaining all the screening and possible outcomes came yesterday which depressed him a bit! It's not fun reading!
We have a couple of weeks to decide,but ultimately I think we'll probably go for it.
Thanks for your advice!
I'm pregnant with twins too (14 weeks, non identical) and my 12 week screening scan and bloods put twin 2 at high risk due to increased NT. Twin 2 is 1:14 for downs and 1:30 for Edwards/Pataus. Twin 1 is 1:10000 for Downs and 1:28000 for Edwards/Pataus. We declined the amnio and cvs due to risk to both babies and opted for non invasive test, which we expected to have to pay for privately. As it happens, our NHS trust (Leeds) is currently trialing the non invasive test (called Iona) and very luckily that we got it done on the NHS because I'm carrying twins. Currently awaiting results. I think Harmony is very similar and I think it's worth every penny and we were happy to pay.
Join the discussion
Please login first.