Advanced search

Florida travel Zika

(24 Posts)
babynelly2010 Tue 09-Aug-16 17:50:34

My sister is getting married in florida and we should be around 32 weeks at the time of the wedding if all goes well. Zika is a bit of a concern over there... I am wondering if it high enough risk to not to go. I am reading that UK advises to not travel for pregnant women unless it is really necessary.
I am wondering if we should not schedule the trip. It will be in February so not exactly the mosquito season but still there are always mosquitos in florida. I am thinking along the lines of not going all though I would hate to miss her wedding. Any thoughts on this?

iwantavuvezela Tue 09-Aug-16 17:53:46

Gosh that is a difficult one.
If I was pregnant I would probably not take the risk, although probably small etc. You could try and research if Zika is more dangerous in early months of pregnancy (when development is occurring), but if it is dangerous during any point of pregnancy I am not sure I would risk it.
Can you wait a bit to see what the medical/travel advice is in December before committing to flight?

Buggers Tue 09-Aug-16 17:55:07

I think zika is mainly an issue in the early stages of pregnancy but I'd check that incase I'm wrong.

babynelly2010 Tue 09-Aug-16 18:01:40

I read that if infected after 30 weeks mark it could cause death to unborn baby. I need to research more however.
Its a good idea to wait until december but my feeling it will just continue to spread as it has been so far as there is really nothing to control it with at all. Unless they come up with a vaccine by then it will just continue to progress around the southern US.

MrsNuckyThompson Tue 09-Aug-16 18:02:38

Don't research on the internet, speak to your doctor about it!!

Buggers Tue 09-Aug-16 18:04:21

Truthfully I'd just give it a miss. It's a long way to travel when your that far along anyway, I'm sure your sister will understand.

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Tue 09-Aug-16 18:11:51

I wouldn't go. The virus seems to be very dangerous at all stages of pregnancy. The microcephaly seems to be a consequence of earlier infection but later infection can cause still birth due to the virus affecting the placenta. There have been cases of babies dying days before die due as a consequence.
There's still a lot we don't know about this virus but as a scientist I wouldn't be going.
The risk of you contracting the virus isn't huge, but the consequences are very severe if you do.
I would also advise your sister to wait six months before conceiving if she's been in an area affected by zika, regardless of whether she or her husband have had any symptoms. The infection isn't always symptomatic and the virus has been detected in semen up to six months post infection. The mosquitos that carry it bite in the day so it's hard to avoid them
The CDC website will have up to date information on.

jar101 Tue 09-Aug-16 18:13:24

"Think " without wishing to sound rude we really have no idea just how dangerous zika is in any stage of pregnancy we don't currently know enough about it we can only look at the informationa available to us which currently is not that promising . I personally would not be risking it if it were me but I woukd speak to a doctor or health professional. I think what you have to ask yourself is how would you really feel if you contracted the virus, as however small it's a very real possbilty if the risk is worth it to you then of course go .

FuzzyOwl Tue 09-Aug-16 18:17:18

By February Zika could be much worse in Florida (or all of USA) or there could be fewer incidents. Personally, I just wouldn't take the risk as Zika can be a danger at any stage of your pregnancy and not just the first trimester.

isittimeforarainbow Tue 09-Aug-16 18:21:24

I was in Florida in Feb this year, I was early pregnant, it wasn't mosquito season and there was no advice not to go.
I absolutely wouldn't go now as it is now advised against because it has started spreading. Even though Feb isn't mosquito season it's still a risk.
It is of course a huge shame to miss your sisters wedding

MedSchoolRat Tue 09-Aug-16 18:26:24

All the other viruses that cause mild illness with neuro problems to a fetus, they seem to do it when infecting the pregnancy before 28 weeks. There's no reason to think Zika is a special case (it's definitely not as bad as Rubella, for instance). 4/5 people who get Zika get it without any symptoms & seem to have very low risk of fetus being impacted. Of those who get symptomatic Zika when pg, it seems that 4/5 pregnancies are completely unaffected. Feb. is low season for rain + mozzies. There are thousands of pg women living in Florida now having to manage these risks, I haven't heard of them all being advised to leave.

All that said, I'm not very sentimental & would easily pass up the wedding not least because it's only a first wedding. Having to risk balance is a faff. Can you even get insurance to fly transatlantic at 32 weeks? It wasn't available when I had DC.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Tue 09-Aug-16 18:29:45

If it helps, the Canadian government is recommending that pregnant women and those planning a pregnancy should avoid travel to countries with ongoing Zika virus outbreaks.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Tue 09-Aug-16 18:31:29

This is a map of the outbreak area:

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Tue 09-Aug-16 20:29:08

All the other viruses that cause mild illness with neuro problems to a fetus, they seem to do it when infecting the pregnancy before 28 weeks. There's no reason to think Zika is a special case

There's a paper in the NEJM recently detailing deaths due to placental insufficiency at 35 weeks. I wouldn't risk it.

MollyWho Tue 09-Aug-16 20:56:26

Not sure the airlines would let you fly at 32 weeks anyway, you might be best checking that out before you torture yourself with this decision.

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Tue 09-Aug-16 22:00:09

That's a very good point. You are going to have trouble finding an insurer at that stage and also because you're going against travel health advice.

If you do need 'an excuse' that's a good one. You must not go without full insurance cover. If you give birth while you're there it'll cost you multiple tens of thousands even for a normal birth. Any complications you could be looking at six figures.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Tue 09-Aug-16 23:21:58

Canadian airlines let you fly up to 36 weeks. After that you should carry a letter of approval from a GP.
Flying long haul at that stage though? I wouldn't.

finova Tue 09-Aug-16 23:25:32

Can it be passed between humans eg should you avoid family who have been to Florida and for how long?

ThinkPinkStink Tue 09-Aug-16 23:37:49

I'm 32 weeks today and if someone told me I had to fly long haul tomorrow I'd cry. Zika or no Zika... Anything outside of: home, work, brunch and the occasional dinner out fills me with horror right now xx

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 09-Aug-16 23:38:27

Personally I wouldn't risk it. The advice is pregnant women should avoid all non essential travel to the area. Situation might change by February though.

I'd also phone your insurer and check you are insured. The USA is a very expensive place to get health care so don't risk going uninsured or without adequate cover (often ignoring government travel advice invalidates insurance cover so check this)

One thing you could do is book later. February is a while away and situation might change.

Canyouforgiveher Tue 09-Aug-16 23:48:58

There are thousands of pg women living in Florida now having to manage these risks, I haven't heard of them all being advised to leave.

No but they are very worried - and managing the risks is probably dominating their pregnancies in a way they never expected. Heard an interesting interview with a Miami Florida obgyn who said she has never seen anything like the level of anxiety in pregnant women. With good reason to be honest. And they can't leave the state - they live there. The OP doesn't have to travel.

OP, I think by the end of the year you should have much more information so I would wait till then.

And as other posters said, make sure you have excellent travel/health insurance if you are going to the US at 32 weeks - zika or no zika.

Shanster Tue 09-Aug-16 23:51:00

I wouldn't - I live in Georgia (one state north of Florida) and its just not worth the risk. We knew zika would hit Florida first in the US, so we didn't plan our usual trip there to the beach this summer (I'm 37 weeks now). Zika is dangerous throughout pregnancy, not just the first trimester. In the third trimester, it can cause still birth and brain damage. They don't have a good way to eradicate zika in Florida, the spray isn't effective. Even worse, the government hasn't approved funding for mosquito control throughout the US. My doctor told me its a matter of when it gets worse and spreads, not if.

SeashellHoarder Wed 10-Aug-16 08:30:25

shanster, that's really interesting take on it. Sounds like the advice your getting I'd much more comprehensive than online.
Op no, I wouldn't go, the only problem is explaining it now if you haven't announced your pregnancy yet.
Also if I were your sister, there is no way I would want you to risk it.

Fluffsnuts Wed 10-Aug-16 08:55:24

No, I wouldn't go. Too much of a risk.

Finova, zika can't yet pass from person to person (thankfully)except for a few cases of sexual transmission so the op should be fine as long as her partner also doesn't attend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now