Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

"Can you hold baby in for a few days I'm busy on such and such a date" "Baby best arrive when we're around!"

(21 Posts)
fruityb Tue 09-Aug-16 10:12:55

Yes because I can just cross my legs and hold it in to suit everyone else's plans can't I!
Getting bored of hearing this - if you're not around when they're born then tough! I know people are joking but it's getting a bit annoying people saying when they're free so if I could just pop it out then... Or "ooh you're not going to reach due date are you?" Well I'm a week and a half off it so I've done pretty damn well. Why don't you just say what you mean which is really "Bloody hell yours is loads bigger than mine was!" Yes because I'm 5ft 9 and you're 5ft 2 and 8 stone wet through probably.

Can you tell I've had enough now and just want baby out!!

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Tue 09-Aug-16 10:17:39

flowers

I remember snapping at a very lovely lady in a shop.

'Are you feeling any twinges yet' she innocently said.

It was the 20th time I had heard it that day and the woman got it. I swore at her blush

People are annoying at the end of your pregnancy, they just are.

fruityb Tue 09-Aug-16 10:31:29

Oh yes that as well - any twinges/tightenings/signs?? Well now you mention it I felt like I pissed myself this morning and have really bad stomach ache but just thought I had the runs!!

Plus all the knowing looks you get from people who already have kids. I know it's exciting for you for someone else to experience it but please stop comparing mine to yours!

fruityb Tue 09-Aug-16 10:33:09

And the "what do you mean you don't know the sex?? How do we know what to buy you??"

Sorry for being a pain!!

frenchielala Tue 09-Aug-16 10:33:38

...and take a deep breath!

frenchielala Tue 09-Aug-16 10:34:29

As frustrating as it is, people are only trying to make conversation and be friendly. Smile and tune it out.

NeedACleverNN Tue 09-Aug-16 10:36:57

My MIL booked a 30 day holiday to America just before my due date. She was supposed to come back the day before I was due

Before she left, she told me to keep my legs crossed.

Baby came half way through the holiday and my God was she furious. Wasn't my fault she booked the bloody holiday for that time. I was pregnant first!

MarklahMarklah Tue 09-Aug-16 10:39:51

Yes, I remember all of that nonsense.
I have a bit of a resting bitch face so that put a few people off smile

I would carry a diary round with me and pencil in dates people said they couldn't do!

When DD was tiny I had her dressed in a blue romper with pink stripes. A complete stranger asked me if "it" was a girl or a boy. After looking at her for a long moment I just said "girl". She carried on though, "Oh, I couldn't tell, what with the blue."
I told her the blue was because I wanted to rear a lesbian. Funnily enough she walked off at that point.

Whatsername17 Tue 09-Aug-16 10:39:56

I remember it well. Even people that have had babies say stupid shit like that. I remember my mother telling me to get a move on! I get they are excited but still! Bugger off!

fruityb Tue 09-Aug-16 10:40:00

I know they are I'm just venting smile I'm just fed up today. Had two texts almost letting me know people's availability if I could possibly push it out in that window!

I feel up to it today I think I might go for a walk. And have ordered myself a pair of havaianas based on recommendations on MN as my feet won't fit a lot of my shoes due to swelling.

Why isn't it all like the second trimester - that was gorgeous!

Hopelass Tue 09-Aug-16 10:41:37

My PIL were going away for three days when I was 39+4 and MIL said "you'd better cross your legs" to me which pissed me off no end.
My waters broke that night and DS was born the next day!!! I was delighted grinshe was miffed that they would be the last of the family to meet him.

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Tue 09-Aug-16 10:43:52

Not quite the same but I was full on labour, screaming contraction.s when I suddenly had the urge to push..

Oh my God - I shouted - I need to push NOW
You can't - shouted back the -- inexperienced-- midwife - I haven't got my trolly!

confused

Newmrs22 Tue 09-Aug-16 10:46:34

Also whenever I text or call friends now they reply saying 'ooh I'm so disappointed, I thought you were telling me you've had the baby'. So apparently I'm not meant to speak to anyone until there's baby news confused it's going to be a fun couple of weeks!

fruityb Tue 09-Aug-16 10:56:14

It's really annoying me at the mo and I know people mean well. I think it's because I've been stuck at home a lot this last week. I could have gone out but my pelvis hurt so much I really didn't want to. That has eased off considerably now so I might try sainsburys or something later. I do quite enjoy the look of fear in people's eyes when they see me - don't get too close she's going to blow!

SexNamesRFab Tue 09-Aug-16 11:01:28

I was massive with DD2 and looked ready to pop from about 32 weeks. I got so fed up of having to explain myself to shop assistants, hairdressers, cafe owners etc that I used to smile, nod and say 'any minute now' when they'd ask when I was due. It was so funny to see their confused faces 2 months later when I had no baby and an even bigger bump.

AddictedtoGreys Tue 09-Aug-16 11:08:13

I am 37+3 and my DM and DGM are ringing me every morning asking if anything is happening. If anything was happening I would let them know!! I'm just going to stop answering the phone for the next 2 weeks.

Whatsername17 Tue 09-Aug-16 12:08:47

I did tell people to stop ringing and texting in the end. I was polite but firm.

EreniTheFrog Tue 09-Aug-16 12:24:09

DH started claiming Jobseekers just before DS was born. At the initial meeting, I asked the advisor if there was a mechanism to avoid DH being sanctioned if he was with me during labour on signing-on day. I was told, very witheringly "don't give birth of a thursday".

Spottyladybird Tue 09-Aug-16 12:29:40

Haha my in laws are going away for a month and get back three days before my due date. Have been told 'you'll need to keep it in until we get back!' I want to scream it's a baby not a cake, it'll come when it's ready.

fruityb Tue 09-Aug-16 12:37:06

Babies don't do it at people's convenience! Getting on my nerves lol

DesignedForLife Tue 09-Aug-16 14:34:52

DC1 was due 1st of September. I had a lot of people tell me to keep her in until then. I just said "oh I'll keep my legs crossed then, that should work right?" And they usually shut up.

This time it's all the comments from shop assistants. Just smile and nod, apparently heavily pregnant ladies don't go out much... I wonder why

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now