Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Screening bloods- what does normal mean?

(16 Posts)
Eskimo16 Tue 09-Aug-16 07:16:15

I am 10w, 4 days. I had my bloods taken for first semester screening and the receptionist told me when I called that bloods were 'normal', she said if we wanted more details we would have to make an appointment. We are going on the weekend but there is still some time til then and I can't help by think about it. What does 'normal' even mean? I thought I would get a risk ratio... Would you worry?

I have the scan in 2 weeks, what do you think the likelihood is of a scan showing problems if bloods were fine?
I'm a little bit nervous, this is my first baby. Thank you for any responses x

MrsJoeyMaynard Tue 09-Aug-16 07:19:51

Not sure which bloods you mean?

Do you mean the booking bloods where they check for iron levels, immunity to certain things? Or the bloods from the dating scan that they use as part of the test for trisomy risk?

Seekingmiracles Tue 09-Aug-16 07:22:05

Those bloods are just to check various things with you... Kidney function, white cell count etc - amongst other things. You will have these repeated later in pregnancy. They won't tell you anything about the baby I'm afraid.
You will have your bloods taken again at your scan appointment for the combined test (if you choose), which will give you your risk factor for Down's, Edwards and Pateaus Syndrome. These results will take up to about 10 days to come through.

Eskimo16 Tue 09-Aug-16 07:29:45

I must've worded it wrong, yes bloods were for test for trisomy risk, they call it first trimester screening bloods here. We have that at 10w and then ultrasound at 12w. They are combined to calculate total risk I think.

Eskimo16 Tue 09-Aug-16 07:35:03

I have previously done a blood test to confirm iron levels/cell count/blood type etc.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 09-Aug-16 07:40:17

You won't get a risk ratio until you've had the scan. Normally the bloods are taken on the same day as the scan. If for some reason your hospital take them before they won't look at them until you've had the scan.

Tinklypoo Tue 09-Aug-16 07:41:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 09-Aug-16 07:42:31

I really think you'll find when you have your scan you'll have the bloods taken then.

Are you sure the results you've been told are normal aren't the hiv, hepatitis bloods?

Eskimo16 Tue 09-Aug-16 07:50:11

Thanks all for the replies. Yes they are definitely first trimester screening tests, pathology lab is separate to the radiology clinic ad doctor advised 10w for bloods and 12w for the scan. I imagine doctor then combines the information form both? I am unsure. There is definitely no bloodwork at the radiology clinic. Our pathology has a 24hr turnaround time so that's why I found out re bloods so quickly.

I am so confused now because it sounds like you all got bloods done same day as NT scan... hmm

I am going through the public health system so maybe that's different to private?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 09-Aug-16 07:51:45

Are you in the UK?

Eskimo16 Tue 09-Aug-16 07:51:48

Also I'm in Australia, not sure I anyone else is?

Tinklypoo Tue 09-Aug-16 07:55:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 09-Aug-16 07:57:06

Most people here area inn the UK.

www.health.wa.gov.au/docreg/Education/Prevention/Genetics/HP3131_prenatal.pdf

This is australia specifc and it looks like you do have your bloods taken prior to the scan in Oz. The booklet States that the hormones they examine in the initial blood test will be raised if there's a serious chromosomal problem with the baby so as yours are normal it all sounds reassuring. I guess you will actually get your risk figure after the scan.

MrsJoeyMaynard Tue 09-Aug-16 07:58:18

I'm in the UK. Normal here to have the bloods and scan done on the same day for the trisomy risk testing. As pp say, they can't calculate the risk ratio without the nuchal measurement from the scan.

Seekingmiracles Tue 09-Aug-16 08:19:16

I think each area is different. But in in the UK. Either way I wouldn't worry too much until you've had your scan.

Eskimo16 Tue 09-Aug-16 08:31:32

Thank you WhoTheF for the link! I didn't realise mumsnet was mainly uk sorry for the confusion!
Ahh I am so relieved it's an AUS thing and not a thing specific to my doctor etc.
I guess like everyone it's just about waiting. Thanks all for clarifying and chipping in smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now