Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Which formula?

(38 Posts)
BuzzzyBeee Mon 08-Aug-16 18:27:21

Pregnant with DC2 and pondering over which formula to use?

With DC1 I was completely inexperienced and hadn't really thought about it before birth and ended up with SMA on the advice of the midwife.

Is there any particular brand that is better/worse?

UnicornPee Mon 08-Aug-16 18:29:07

I prefer cow & gate.
SMA often causes constipation (sheep dottle poo's)

dementedpixie Mon 08-Aug-16 18:30:10

There are none that are better or worse and it just depends what suits your baby. Cow and gate and aptamil have the same manufacturer but one is cheaper than the other. Hipp has an organic formula if you want to go down that route.

flumpybear Mon 08-Aug-16 18:31:08

I Combi fed with both mine and thought HiPP organic was good, it dissolves well too. I used aptamil with first but kept finding lumps of undissolved milk powder 'balls' the size of small marbles in her poopy nappies confused

Luna2016 Mon 08-Aug-16 18:34:00

Sometimes the first formula you try isn't always the one that agrees with your little one. My daughter whent from SMA which make her keep being sick, to cow and gate which make constipated but finally found that aptamil finally agreed with her.

You'll find most things with babys are trail and error untill something works.

Scrowy Mon 08-Aug-16 18:34:45

One of my friends has been reccomending a new one Kendamil which is made locally to her in the Lake District. Not tried it personally and not sure how wide it's distribution is yet but there's a write up in the grocer trader about it

grocerytrader.co.uk/kendamil-the-cream-of-infant-formulas/

SMA caused bad constipation in DD. We had no issues on Cow & Gate - apparently C&G and Aptamil are exactly the same but C&G is cheaper so we went with C&G!

BuzzzyBeee Mon 08-Aug-16 18:36:49

That doesn't sound good flumpy!

NovemberInDailyFailLand Mon 08-Aug-16 18:38:52

I think I'm going with Hipp Organic.

BuzzzyBeee Mon 08-Aug-16 18:39:03

We had no issues with SMA with DD but I guess like has been said each baby is different.

I was planning on stocking up but I think I'll just get the one box of powder and see who was it goes.

BuzzzyBeee Mon 08-Aug-16 18:39:35

How it goes*

evilharpy Mon 08-Aug-16 18:44:02

Is there any particular reason you don't want to use SMA again?

We ended up on prescription formula for CMPA but tried most of the big names and didn't find much difference. We never tried Hipp Organic though.

TheCrumpettyTree Mon 08-Aug-16 18:47:02

I used Hipp with both DC.

NovemberInDailyFailLand Mon 08-Aug-16 18:47:56

Was it good, Crumpetty?

TheCrumpettyTree Mon 08-Aug-16 18:52:06

Yes I thought so. Started with Aptamil but much preferred Hipp as I thought they were more settled on it. It's cheaper too.

BuzzzyBeee Mon 08-Aug-16 18:54:16

No particular reason just didn't do any research with DD so thought I would this time.

Finola1step Mon 08-Aug-16 18:59:28

With ds, started with Hipp but he was very windy on it. Switched to Aptamil.

With DD, tried Aptamil first but she wasn't keen. Then tried C&G, all good.

A key question to start off is...which brand is most easily available in your area at midnight?

buntingbingo Mon 08-Aug-16 19:01:31

I used/am using hipp with mine. The packaging is a p.i.t.a but it's always been good for us. No wind or constipation issues at all. It has the bonus of being less expensive too.

SciFiFan2015 Mon 08-Aug-16 19:06:32

What about trying donor milk?

dementedpixie Mon 08-Aug-16 19:14:27

Why would she want to do that? The OP hasn't said anything about breastfeeding and asked about formula

SciFiFan2015 Mon 08-Aug-16 19:19:29

I didn't say anything about breastfeeding either? hmm donor milk is a thing that's available (sometimes, somewhere) I'd have used it for sure! OP doesn't even have to express. Just think of donor milk as a product like formula! smile

dementedpixie Mon 08-Aug-16 19:22:14

Yes but it's not easily available or convenient to source

SciFiFan2015 Mon 08-Aug-16 19:24:30

Very true. Maybe it's a demand and supply thing. More demand might lead to more supply! No harm in suggesting it. I think there's groups that help organise it. It be a poke in the eye for profit making companies eh?

peaceloveandtwirlywoos Mon 08-Aug-16 19:30:58

I mix fed DS for a few weeks and then he had one bottle of formula a day when I restarted breastfeeding. Aptamil was the first one I saw on the shelf, so he had that one blush

BeardMinge Mon 08-Aug-16 20:57:13

We started on Aptamil, but it smelt pretty vile (think it's got fish oil in it) so switched to Hipp. It had the benefit of being a bit cheaper, dissolving better, and was the most similar in taste to breastmilk. The packaging is a ball ache though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now