Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The disorganised second pregnancy thread

(63 Posts)
Acunningruse Mon 08-Aug-16 13:43:59

With DC1 their bedroom was decorated and cot assembled 4 months before I was due...this time I am 34 weeks and new baby's room is still filled with junk various household items.

Last time my (specially purchased) hospital bag was packed by 28 weeks...this time I will probably be stuffing items into a carrier bag the night before my c section.

When I finished work last time I had a lovely few weeks of buying lots of lovely baby bits then sitting in coffee shops watching the world go by...this time I will be running around after a toddler and trying to fit in various exciting errands like getting the car serviced and dentist appointments.

Anyone else completely unprepared for the arrival of DC2?

StubbleTurnips Mon 08-Aug-16 13:54:41

I'll join you ruse, by this point last time (22w) we were painting and glossing everywhere. This time I can barely remember my name. The room for turnip 2 is ready as we're moving DD into the bigger bedroom..... That's the issue. It's full of crap and needs full decorating!

GwendolynMoon Mon 08-Aug-16 14:12:41

I will join you both! I am 33 weeks with DC2 and have basically done nothing.

DC1 had a beautifully organised, decorated nursery and this time round, because we haven't moved house which was the plan but hasn't worked out, the new arrival doesn't even have a bedroom! Our room is quite large so we are going to make a 'baby corner' but just feel so unprepared for this baby! Trying not to let it stress me out though.

GwendolynMoon Mon 08-Aug-16 14:14:07

PS Am dreading having a big loft sort out to try and find all the newborn stuff but need to stop putting it off! Sigh....(I am actually thrilled and excited to be pregnant again grin)

RosieTheCat Mon 08-Aug-16 14:47:03

35 weeks with Dd2 and the only reason I even have 1/2 packed a hospital bag packed is because we're due to move house in 2/3 weeks (still waiting on jobs worth solicitor to confirm the date) and I knew I wouldn't be able to find everything after the move
All Dds clothes went to my Dn and are coming back to us but SIL won't drop them round till we move so I have no idea if we'll have enough and most of our equipment has been lent to family who don't seem in a rush to bring it back

SouthDownsSunshine Mon 08-Aug-16 14:52:37

Only 23 weeks but I can tell I'm heading in the same direction! All I've got so far is a replacement mattress for the carrycot (languishing in the shop until I pick it up) and a bath seat (only ordered to bump up the value of an online shop to get free delivery). I expect everything will stay in loft until I start maternity leave!

HobnobDunker Mon 08-Aug-16 15:10:30

I'm like this but I'm expecting my first!

I've started buying bits and pieces for my hospital bag but don't have a pram or cot yet- I'm 31 weeks confused

ohidoliketobe Mon 08-Aug-16 15:20:01

Almost 36 weeks with DC2. . . DH got all the baby stuff down from the loft this weekend. I'll sort it this week. Maybe.
I've half heartedly thrown a few bits into a bag. And I have ordered my tens machine rental. So. . I'm getting there.
I've finished work now so no excuse really!

wobblywonderwoman Mon 08-Aug-16 15:25:04

This is making me laugh. Mine are nearly two and nearly three but anyway..

First - lovely photo album and scrapbook. Socks matching t shirt. Water and cotton wool only. The works

Second - have a few photos in one book. Haven't even printed off christening photos. Clothes - whatever is clean. Socks might not match.

Hmm.. Feel guilty now

Annarose2014 Mon 08-Aug-16 15:30:07

34 weeks also. Haven't done anything except get the boxes of 0-3 clothes down from the attic. Haven't opened them yet though!

I guess at some stage we'll get the Moses basket down.....

Tbh I'm not even sure what I should be doing. We have a 20 month old so the place is full of baby shit already. So I can't see the "gaps" as clearly as last time. Total brain fog about this one!

Jenjen85 Mon 08-Aug-16 17:37:11

Currently 36+5 with DC2 and he currently has nowhere to sleep as we dont have a spare bedroom (that will be built in October!!!) Had a scare at the weekend and in no way do i feel ready to have baby anytime soon!! Still need to sort and wash moses basket but all clothes have been washed by my lovely mum. Finished work a week ago and just cant be arsed as running round after DD 3yrold. Might try and do a bit when shes at the childminder on Wednesday if i feel upto it. At least my bag is packed should anything happen tho

Marshpillow Mon 08-Aug-16 18:43:01

25 weeks with DD2 and we're definitely less organised. At some point we'll get DD1's old clothes down from the loft and start sorting through them but that probably won't be for couple of months until I've finished work. At this point last time the nursery was finished and all her clothes had been bought, washed and put away. I haven't even thought about a hospital bag!

milpool Mon 08-Aug-16 18:48:47

Yup. I'm 15 weeks and am spending most of my time in denial that I'm even pregnant. This baby was most definitely not planned and even after two scans I haven't got my head round it yet...

Funnyface1 Mon 08-Aug-16 18:53:28

I'll be 36 weeks tomorrow, having a section at 39+2. I've been the same this time around. We did the nursery a few weeks ago purely because I realised I was getting too big and tired to get involved. In terms of washing baby things and packing bags, I haven't done a thing. I've bought nearly everything all in these last few weeks but still need a few bits. A steriliser, a bath support, Ewan the dream sheep... I don't feel ready yet!

BabyClam Mon 08-Aug-16 18:54:08

So glad it isn't just me!
32 weeks with DC2, got a guest room for her with no curtains and some baby grows from the loft that need a wash.
No idea how much stuff is coming back from friends - hoping for a Moses basket or two, carrycot for pushchair, breast pump, play mat and baby bath....
The only purchase has been a new pushchair because we scrapped out last one (second hand and past it). The new pushchair is still in its box behind the sofa...

foxessocks Mon 08-Aug-16 18:55:43

This is absolutely me. I'm 37 weeks and have only just bunged a few items in a hospital bag but pretty sure I haven't got everything. The car seat is still in the loft. The Moses basket is still in the loft. The baby's room has been painted but has no carpet and boxes full of junk in it! I have bought one pack of vests and one small pack of babygros and decided not to bother with any more clothes until I know the size of the baby!

Last time I had packed my hospital bag (think I had two one for baby and one for me!) by 35 weeks. The car seat was in he living room from then too. I had bought all different sizes of vests and babygros to cover every eventuality.

I'm so under prepared!! I could have this baby any day now...eek. On the plus side my nesting instinct is kicking in and I'm totally on top of the washing and ironing ( for now) smile it's all good!

Lisad1975 Mon 08-Aug-16 19:03:18

This is making me feel so
Normal ! Thankyou !!
28 weeks and its all in the loft! I am quite chilled tbh and so very different to our first !
Quite nice really !!
Wont be buying any furniture till after birth and babys room was freshly decorated earlier this year so that does make me feel slighlty prepared! We have a 22 month okd so busy with her!

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 08-Aug-16 19:03:55

Wait until it's number 3.....I wasn't going to breastfeed after struggling with dc2, but after the birth, in my hospital bed, when they asked what I wanted to do, I remembered that I hadn't bought any bottles or a steriliser. Better breastfeed then.....(ended up really pleased that I did because I managed 10 weeks!)

milpool Mon 08-Aug-16 19:14:43

Thing is though... DD is 14 months and still shares a room with us. I mean, we'll be booting her out over the next month, but if that's anything to go by I'm not stressing about getting a room sorted for this one.

And I guess the positive of a small age gap is that we don't need to buy anything, we've got it all... And I'm planning a home birth so not too worried!

Spottyladybird Mon 08-Aug-16 19:19:39

Yes this is me! 27 weeks with number 2, currently off for summer holidays and thought I'd get loads done while the weather is better. Have done nothing. Oops.

foxessocks Mon 08-Aug-16 19:25:50

Ooh this thread has just reminded me I need to buy a new mattress for the baby!! Totally forgot new baby new mattress...Oops!

Lisad1975 Mon 08-Aug-16 19:49:18

Has anyones brain gone to pot ?
I can't remember if I brought size 1 nappies for dd !! She was 8lb 12oz
According to mw this baby will be 8lbs lol
Oh god its all so different lol

NoCapes Mon 08-Aug-16 19:59:13

Haha I'm on number 4
It'll be lucky if I remember to give birth!

KitKat1985 Mon 08-Aug-16 20:07:51

Ahh this thread is where I should be. 24 weeks today. Managed to get some of DD's stuff out of the loft last weekend, and that's because we had to go in there to put the suitcases away (from a holiday we had in early June). confused It all needs washing / cleaning and it frankly seemed like too much effort so I've just shoved it in a corner of DD's bedroom until I can be bothered to deal with it (hopefully before the baby is actually born).

Yup yup Yup! 26 weeks with dd2. Dd1 is coming up 16 months and needs a new bedroom so new baby can have the nursery. But the spare room is full of all the stuff that was in it plus all the stuff that used to be in the nursery. She needs a new cot/bed. New baby needs a bnew mattress. I have bought a new hospital bag though, so I've done SOMETHING!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now