Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Referral

(4 Posts)
MrsKBill Mon 08-Aug-16 06:18:34

I had my first midwife appointment a couple weeks ago and all booked in for my first scan on 30th August (excited).
As my BMI is 34 I have been referred to a consultant - has anyone else had this that can shed some light as midwife was very vague when explaining - just said I will meet with him/her after the scan - what happens?

BeardMinge Mon 08-Aug-16 07:21:33

Not much in my experience, asked a few questions, gave me the once over, then discharged me straight back to the midwives. My bmi was 38 and I was 40, so they were being careful. Despite being a lardarse I have low blood pressure and take regular exercise and had no other issues at that point that indicated I needed to be consultant led.

I ended up back with the consultant later for other reasons anyway.

Womenareliketeabags Mon 08-Aug-16 07:36:07

My BMI is 32 and my midwife sent off a referal to the consultant with which he replied for me to be kept under community midwife care and for me to have a glucose tolerance test at 26 weeks. I never saw a consultant this pregnancy (did last but for a different reason) I think it's just protocol with a high BMI.

Titchypanda Mon 08-Aug-16 08:20:20

I think it's standard. My midwife said anyone with a bmi of 30+ is classed as high risk and can be referred for a consultant assessment. Some are discharged back to the midwife after one appointment and some are monitored throughout pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now