Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pain when I urinate - not a water infection - HELP?!

(12 Posts)
AspiringMother Sat 06-Aug-16 01:13:35

Had my urine tested twice and came back clear. Hurts to pee - spend hours lying in the bath. Doctors won't prescribe me anything, as there is no bacteria present after both a dip test and further testing. My mum had it all throughout her pregnancy with me and had to wear bin liners when she went out. It's driving me up the wall - someone please tell me that I'm not alone! sad

DesignedForLife Sat 06-Aug-16 04:54:41

How far along are you? I ca. Get pain sometimes when baby is sitting awkwardly, but I'm late 3rd trimester.

Why did your mum wear a bin liner? Did she leak?

cherrypiemay16 Sat 06-Aug-16 05:39:10

I thought I had a UTI at the end of my pregnancy but it was just the position of the baby, stuck right in the bladder. Made me need to pee every 5 mins but not much would come out! So frustrating and uncomfortable. Hopefully you're late stages too and don't have to put up with it much longer. Never thought I'd be happy to have a catheter after delivery but it was heaven!!!

Becciilouisex3 Sat 06-Aug-16 06:23:57

It could be the position of your bladder however, early on in my pregnancy I had anytime infection that, for some reason, wasn't showing when the urine was tested. I suffer cystitis awfully regularly and really painfully when I'm not pregnant and knew exactly what was wrong with me but for whatever reason, there was not enough bacteria to show in my pee. I had to fight for antibiotics to put it right and it was only due to my medical history that I was prescribed anything!

Have you got a scan anytime in the future? You could ask the sonographer to have a look over your bladder and see if there's anything they can see that could be causing the issue. If not, you could try Cystocalm sachets. They're safe during pregnancy (spoke to my midwife) only 3 sachets a day for two days and really helped me. If the symptoms do pick up then you might want to pursue the UTI route a little more as they're dangerous when untreated especially in pregnancy.

AspiringMother Sat 06-Aug-16 10:32:53

Thanks guys. My mum wore bin liners so that she could dribble - sounds gross but it's the only way she could relieve the pain by making the passing motion! And also get out of the house!

I'm 15 weeks so defo not a late stage related issue. sad

I did have a really bad history of water infections but that was several years ago. Took another sample in today and came back clear... AGAIN. Was lying in the bath for 10 hours yesterday and a couple today already - only 3 hours sleep.

Feeling very down and trying to drink as much as I can. Will see if I can obtain the sachets. Thanks all. I'm desperate.

Becciilouisex3 Sat 06-Aug-16 11:36:13

It does honestly sound like the water infections I used to get when they were really bad and it's so hard to explain to people how bad it is!

Definitely try the sachets and maybe invest in some decent panty liners, I have to wear them for dribble ( whoever said pregnancy was glamorous?!)

Wishing you all the best flowers

kamillaw Sat 06-Aug-16 22:26:45

Have you had blood taken? Could it be somewhere else in the region but affecting the bladder? Also please don't take this the wrong way but could it be psychological? Or it could be your uterus expanding rather than the actual baby at this stage. Can you get 2nd/3rd opinion? Sorry you are suffering.

birchygoo Sat 06-Aug-16 23:16:23

Are you constipated? I also have this but also have IBS and when I'm constipated bowel becomes inflamed and it hurts so much after peeing in lower stomach :-(

AspiringMother Sun 07-Aug-16 15:36:33

Hi guys! Thanks for the replies.

After spending over 15 hours in the bath the day before, and 4 hours last night, I rang the 111 NHS service. They got me an appointment with the hospital and the urine sample came back with blood and lots of something else, so it was an infection.

I don't know why the doctors failed to detect bacteria twice with dipstick tests and once with a dipstick test and further lab tests, but they did. So relieved I could cry, as I have a midwife appointment tomorrow and was scared that I wouldn't make it.

I do suffer with constipation and find that I go less now that I'm pregnant. When I urinate, this too seems to take longer to process through my body. I noticed this at scans when my bladder was full, and when I initially emptied it, not that much would come out. I'm guessing it may be a pregnancy related thing.

I'm worried about taking the medication, as the doctor said that he usually wouldn't prescribe this type of medication again so soon. However, to be out of pain and finally get a good nights sleep will be a blessing!

I'm hoping that if I contact the doctors Monday, they'll let me have some sort of prevention scheme where I can take one daily. I do believe this will be a common occurrence.

The doctor at the hospital also recommended that I have a scan on my kidneys at some point soon, due to the amount of - forgotten what it's called - but something that was detected!

Becciilouisex3 Sun 07-Aug-16 16:08:44

So happy you're getting it sorted finally! Take the medication and don't worry about it lovely as untreated uti's are bad for mother and baby, it can cause preterm labour so always best to treat them promptly!

I'm wondering whether, for some reason, uti's are harder to detect during pregnancy for some reason because the same thing happened to me! I suppose we'll never know but definitely go for that kidney scan as one of mine developed into a kidney infection which was super painful!

Good luck and I wish you an uneventful rest of your pregnancy haha! flowers

AspiringMother Tue 09-Aug-16 11:34:04

Thanks so much! I really wish that I could ask for a one a day tablet, but my midwife advised that I send off a ruins sample 3-4 days after I've finished the course for examination. Apparently the hospital will admit me for scans if I get three infections in a row. Actually dreading getting another one, as I'm convinced that I will! shock

AspiringMother Tue 09-Aug-16 11:34:25

*urine

Damn autocorrect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now