Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I'm re washing baby's clothes, detergent or no detergent?

(9 Posts)
ThinkPinkStink Fri 05-Aug-16 20:21:09

I totally get that people recommend pre washing baby's clothes before he/she is born.

But would you recommend washing them with detergent and fabric softener (non bio and sensitive skin types obvs.) or just rinsing in warm water?

I ask as I have quite sensitive skin, so I'm keen not to overload poor baby's skin with detergents/ scents when she's newborn if it's not necessary.

Thanks!!

BendydickCuminsnatch Fri 05-Aug-16 20:23:16

I think the idea of washing them is in order to remove any nasty products/warehouse dirt from them pre-wear? Therefore I'd imagine you need to use some detergent. I just used supermarket non-bio powder and a double rinse. No expert though!

milpool Fri 05-Aug-16 20:35:15

Yeah definitely use detergent. Whether you use bio or non-bio is totally up to you. I started off with non-bio but soon just chucked everything in together.

I would recommend fabric softener too, I didn't use it at first on baby's clothes but it really makes a difference.

SeashellHoarder Fri 05-Aug-16 22:00:14

I use ecover, which is great for dds and dhs excema and it's been fine from birth. We use comfort pure, again fine from birth.
What do you normally use?
Even if you could manage without detergent for the first wash, once they start pooing you will need something!

ThinkPinkStink Fri 05-Aug-16 22:06:58

Thanks all.

Seashell we currently use Ecover (non bio) for both detergent and softener. I went off Comfort when I got pregnant (so I'll probably be back on it after baby has arrived).

You're wholly right of course, the moment there's poo or puke (or even just milk) on the clothes we'll have to use detergent...I might double rinse though, just to be on the safe side wink

BluePitchFork Fri 05-Aug-16 22:08:58

just wash them with whatever you usually use

SeashellHoarder Fri 05-Aug-16 22:12:09

I think you'll be fine with the ecover then. You probably won't need to double rinse, just use a bit less than the bottle says.
Keep baby moisturised, so they don't get dry skin as this makes skin more irritable I found.
If you are happy to baste your baby like a roast chicken then Olive oil from the pharmacy (not tescos) worked great for us.

wiltingfast Sat 06-Aug-16 07:21:07

I've read previously (for sensitive skin generally) that it does not matter what detergent you use, the key is multiple rinses.

If I was worried about it, I would use a mild detergent and rinse 3 times.

Grassgreendashhabi Sat 06-Aug-16 07:30:21

Yes wash things with detergent. I used our normal stuff never bought anything different but I use half the amounts of detergent and only a dribble of conditioner about a quarter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now