Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Advice needed telling work

(4 Posts)
Strubo Fri 05-Aug-16 10:28:01

I'm going to see my boss today to arrange my return to work as I've been off for 6 months sick. I feel like I should tell her at this meeting so she has some warning and also so time off for appointments is easier but I'm pretty nervous that she's going to think I'm taking the mick being off for so long and coming back pregnant!

Any ideas how to handle it?

Halfpintmum Fri 05-Aug-16 22:30:27

This is an unusual situation, but it is usually best to give the information that will best enable your employer to manage the situation if you want to maintain good relations with them.

I don't think you have to tell them until 25 weeks ( perhaps check government website to be sure) but I think it it pretty obvious by then and it would be better received if you have been upfront about it before people are guessing.

If it were me I would share my concerns about how they may feel, but reassure them that I was going to do my best to work with them to prepare for the upcoming period of leave. These things happen and all you can do is go forward with the situation you have.

I also think you should check out your maternity rights/ company policy before speaking to your boss to ensure that you know where you stand regarding the extended sick leave overlapping the beginning of your pregnancy.

Strubo Fri 05-Aug-16 22:50:27

Thanks halfpintmum. I've been in to see her and she was fab, just laughed, said congratulations and assured me not to worry. It is what it is and babies are a joyous occasion. I'm quite surprised actually although we do have a great relationship. She's promised to keep it quiet as my kids don't know yet so I do t want many people finding out.

Halfpintmum Sat 06-Aug-16 10:33:42

Great news. That is how my boss reacted both times when I told him at 8 weeks. It really made me feel better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now