Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

DS1 was slightly early - hate the insecurity as to when DS2 will be born!

(7 Posts)
dodi1978 Wed 03-Aug-16 23:16:25

My DS1 was born at 36+1 weeks. Not massively early I know, but unexpected nonetheless. Easy birth though and easy recovery, and he was fine as well except some early jaundice / feeding problems. So we never really had any major worries.

I am now 31 weeks with DS 2. Am currently planning to go on mat leave at 37.5 weeks - I simply don't want to waste leave, and I currently feel quite well (better than the first time round actually). Yet, I just don't like the insecurity as to when DS2 will be born. Everyone tells me that he could well be overdue or just on time, but on the other hand, I might have another baby in 5 weeks, and I may not have any proper nesting time at all.

Anyway, it will come how it comes, just wanted to know whether you can share my feelings!

CatsAndCocktails Wed 03-Aug-16 23:18:12

My DD arrived at 38 weeks and I am now pregnant and wondering if this baby will be a couple of weeks early as well. I know it could end up being two weeks late and there is often no logic to when babies choose to come along, but I can definitely share your feelings.

Chasingsquirrels Wed 03-Aug-16 23:39:26

Ds1 was 2 weeks early, totally unexpected - I kept telling myself the baby would go 2 weeks over.
Ds2 I again told myself would go 2 weeks over, although hoping it would be early. Bang on 2 weeks early again.

LotisBlue Wed 03-Aug-16 23:55:43

I was in the same boat - dc1 was slightly premature and it meant I half expected to give birth any time from around 34 weeks. I had my hospital bag packed from about 30 weeks.

One thing which took me by surprise was how nervous I felt on the 'anniversary' of the gestation I gave birth at in my first pregnancy. DP went out for the evening and I ended up going to a friend's house because I didn't want to be home alone.
In the end I went to term, but only just. I'd gone on maternity leave just before 37 weeks so I got about days at home before the baby was born.

lavenderpekins Thu 04-Aug-16 00:00:55

3 dc so far all born around 37 and 38 weeks. Expecting dc4 to come at the same time.. I'm 30 weeks at the moment but will make sure I have everything ready by 37 weeks! Good luck op

DelphiniumBlue Thu 04-Aug-16 00:09:07

I suspect baby2 might come early as well. I think some people just don't gestate for 40 weeks, that's only ever an approximate time.

Fwiw, My ds1 came at 36 weeks, no reason, all fine except jaundice ( like you). DS2 & 3 both arrived at 37 weeks, in fact I think DS3 might have been just slightly short of 37 weeks.
Be prepared, but you might as well keep working ( providing you don't have a long commute by yourself) if you feel up to it.
Good luck!

CustardOmlet Thu 04-Aug-16 20:10:45

DS1 came on his due date, so I am dreading going over due for the first time, but also absolutely do not want DS2 to be early. I'm not sure I can do a due day baby twice!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now