Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone taken ferrous fumarate 210mg

(12 Posts)
butterfly92 Wed 03-Aug-16 15:11:54

I got a call today saying that I am slightly anaemic and to tell the doctor my HB is 108 and he will prescribe me medication based on that. So he has prescribed me 210mg ferrous fumarate 3x a day so that is 630mg a day... Isn't that too much?! confused anyone else in this situation or have been in this situation? Thanks in advance. I am 28w2d and they found out when I had my routine bloods done

OvariesForgotHerPassword Wed 03-Aug-16 15:14:16

Nope that's the standard dose if you're iron deficient.

FoofFighter Wed 03-Aug-16 15:21:15

I'm on it (not pg though) I'd suggest that you start one a day for a few days, then 2x a day for a few more days then the 3x. It can really upset your tummy at first. Have you been warned about the black/green poo side effects grin and don't be alarmed if it causes either the runs or constipation, both normal.

butterfly92 Thu 04-Aug-16 08:49:10

Thanks ladies my OH friend who is a doctor advised not to take all three in a day, just take one every day for a few days with iron rich food and orange juice and then wait and see how I react to it and then up the dose if I am feeling fine! Thanks all x

Kidneybean2016 Thu 04-Aug-16 09:34:57

I am on 3 a day and have been since 28 + 2. Currently 32 + 4 and was informed at last check up that they will check my bloods at 33+ 3 to see if I need to continue.

Fluffsnuts Thu 04-Aug-16 20:49:39

That was my dose.

f1ddlesticks Fri 05-Aug-16 04:26:44

I'm on 2 a day which I take together (taken in the evening because iron counteracts the thyroxine I take in the morning and I'd forget a lunchtime dose). I didnt build up to it but maybe you could start with 2 and work up to 3? To be fair the anemia was making me feel so shit I wanted to get on with treating it! This was way before pregnancy but also now I'm PG.

ArriettyMatilda Fri 05-Aug-16 04:31:34

I can't remember how much the does was but be warned it made me feel really icky. My gp had seen my blood results and prescribed but when I saw the midwife she said I wasn't anemic as my levels were normal for pregnancy. I'm not saying don't take it! But perhaps seek a second opinion from a midwife, especially if you do react badly to it.

SewSlapdash Fri 05-Aug-16 06:06:52

Made me feel very unwell. But, unfortunately, the alternative is the liquid, which us the most revolting substance known to man.

redcaryellowcar Fri 05-Aug-16 06:38:43

I'm not sure on dosage but a friend of mine was suggested by her midwife that she might like to try spatone which is a liquid iron supplement which you mix with orange or fruit juice and apparently is easier on the constipation front. Imagine you would need to Check with GP that dosage would be sufficient. Also I don't think it's available on prescription.

Silvertap Fri 05-Aug-16 06:54:22

I'm on it but I'm not pregnant. 3 a day. I've been absolutely fine, not a single tummy problem.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 05-Aug-16 08:54:21

Each 210mg tablet has 69mg of iron though. Sonit's not 210mg of iron itself iyswim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now