Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What are your thoughts on non-alcoholic prosecco ladies?

(35 Posts)
Excusemyfrench Wed 03-Aug-16 14:23:33

Hello mummies to be!

I am thinking of launching a non alcoholic Prosecco in the uk.
Most big shops ( M&S, sainsburys, tescos etc.) offer a sparkling wine but they often taste very sweet and of poor quality.

Based on the idea that this drink would taste like real Prosecco- would you like to have some in your fridge during your pregnancies- Is it something you would enjoy?

Thank you very much for your opinions !

dickiedavisthunderthighs Wed 03-Aug-16 14:27:43

If it tasted like Prosecco I'm sure plenty of non pregnant women would like it too. How would you achieve it though?! And you would be able to call it Prosecco either...

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 03-Aug-16 14:28:47

I'd buy it if it wasn't too expensive ( I'm just a lightweight at drinking - not pregnant !) blush

WannaBe Wed 03-Aug-16 14:28:58

I've never seen the point of non alcoholic beer, wine etc. Surely the reason you drink wine prosecco and the like is because of the alcohol?

dickiedavisthunderthighs Wed 03-Aug-16 14:31:56

A friend tells me you can already get it. Tesco do two different ones and there's also something called Botonique which is a dead ringer for Prosecco apparently.

EreniTheFrog Wed 03-Aug-16 14:39:35

I'm with Wannabe - if it's not alcoholic, why bother? And when I'm pregnant, most sweet things taste all wrong anyway. Personally, no thanks.

CheeseandGherkins Wed 03-Aug-16 14:45:33

It's the sweetness that I like about them. There are quite a few available now buy anything bitter/dry I wouldn't buy.

Highlove Wed 03-Aug-16 14:48:54

No thanks, wouldn't dream of buying it.

Mummies? hmm

Whatsername17 Wed 03-Aug-16 14:49:39

I like non alcoholic beer. I like the taste and it's something different to drink when I'm out. Not that I go out much at all. There are only to many fanta oranges or j20s I can drink before I feel sick. Id try it.

Happilymarried155 Wed 03-Aug-16 15:24:36

Yes I'd buy it!

Pearlman Wed 03-Aug-16 15:33:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Scrowy Wed 03-Aug-16 15:37:46

I would like to hear more about this Botonique after looking it up. Had anyone else tried it?

Yes OP I would love a good dry non alcoholic white wine, sparkling or otherwise. I find the current offerings and most fizzy alternatives unpleasant.

Fizzyjo Wed 03-Aug-16 16:38:43

I would. I actually like the taste of certain wines and prosecco and do not drink them because they are alcoholic. If there was a non alcoholic version that tasted almost as good I would always drink that as would rather not injest alcohol whether pregnant or not.
So yes if it tastes good I would buy it (pregnant or not).

Excusemyfrench Wed 03-Aug-16 18:50:33

Thank you very much for your answers, it is really helpful ! Xx

MissClarke86 Wed 03-Aug-16 20:13:47

I think the majority (not all, but the majority) of people drink wine/Prosecco for the lovely fizzy alcohol feeling more than the taste.

If alcohol isn't involved, I'd rather just have a Shloer or another of the hundreds of types of fizzy drink. I think it's fine if it's launched by a big brand who have other revenue streams but not as an independent product, there just isn't the market for it.

Bellabelloo Wed 03-Aug-16 21:11:59

I agree - if it's not made in Italy and probably alcoholic you wouldn't be able to call it Prosecco. Prosecco is a sparkling wine from...Prosecco! As champagne is a sparkling wine from Champagne. So it would have to be called a non-alcoholic sparkling wine....

But no, I like drinking Prosecco for the little alcohol buzz. But I guess it could be popular for people who don't drink to make toasts and stuff? But I doubt people would guzzle it like a group of girls would with real Prosecco...

Dixiechick17 Thu 04-Aug-16 07:05:49

Sainsburys do a non alcoholic sparkling wine which is quite dry, I love it when I was pregnant

MrsStavrum Thu 04-Aug-16 12:32:51

I would buy it as I love the taste of prosecco as well as the alcoholic buzz. Interested to hear about these other alternatives which I will be looking into!

NameChange30 Thu 04-Aug-16 12:42:15

I'm pregnant and I miss alcoholic drinks for their taste, not because of the alcohol content. When I'm not pregnant I don't drink much alcohol, but I'm surprised at how much I miss it. Champagne or prosecco for a celebration, cocktails on holiday, cider on a summer's day. It's hard to find soft drinks that don't have loads of sugar or sweeteners in them.

So to answer your question, OP, yes I'd be interested - but obviously only if it tastes good wink

bumblebee86 Thu 04-Aug-16 14:18:08

I wish you could buy this now!

milpool Thu 04-Aug-16 14:24:08

Prosecco tastes like crap anyway. So no, I wouldn't be bothered...

But, it does seem difficult to produce low or non-alcoholic versions of drinks that taste the same as alcoholic versions. Of the several non-alcoholic beers I've tried there's only one that actually tastes nice.

Excusemyfrench Thu 04-Aug-16 14:36:58

Thank you all very much for your inputs!

Newbie7077 Thu 04-Aug-16 14:42:11

I actually really disagree with the whole drinking wine and prosecco only for the alcohol content. I really like the taste and if you could replicate it well enough i would have it alcohol free normally too. The tipsyness is sort of an unwanted side effect i find!

NeedAnotherGlass Thu 04-Aug-16 16:56:29

I also disagree with the notion that you only drink wine for the alcohol. I drink it because I like the flavour.
IF (and it is a very big if) you could get the flavour spot on, then I would be very interested. But it would also have to be a good price.

wineapotamus Thu 04-Aug-16 16:58:49

I would def get it! I miss the ritual of a glass of wine or beer or gin of an evening and sadly haven't really had any aversions to booze in any of my pregnancies, although I avoided/am avoiding drinking. I would be really chuffed to be able to have something sparkly and fizzy and special on Christmas Day for example...
Can I be your tester?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now