Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Water leakage! 39 weeks. Anyone able to help before I have to wake ds up unnecessarily

(22 Posts)
user1466690252 Mon 01-Aug-16 21:54:14

Hello! 39+2. Second child first came day before due date. This one however has been stopping and starting for flipping ages. Felt very wet this evening (sorry tmi) clear liquid no smell and not really much to be honest just noticeable. Baby moving fine and no pain just head very low im assuming a sort of pressure where my bladder would normally be? Dh is away, ds asleep....im ok to leave this arnt I? I dont want to waste the hospitals time but uve never had my waters go, im assuming its not this?

hugoagogo Mon 01-Aug-16 21:58:34

Is there anyone you can call to sit with you? It might be nothing, but it could be the start of labour.
When is your dh back?

CatsAndCocktails Mon 01-Aug-16 21:58:39

If your waters have gone then your hospital will want you to be seen and probably induced if nothing happens within 24 hours. If you don't have any contractions though, I would leave it until the morning.

Good luck with the labour.

ReallyIam Mon 01-Aug-16 21:58:47

Ooh exciting!! Why don't you phone the ward? I'd of thought you're OK to stay put for a bit though. Good luck!!

AGruffaloCrumble Mon 01-Aug-16 22:02:35

If it's only a tiny bit it could be very watery discharge. Put a pad on. If the pad fills up it is your waters.

Blacksheep78 Mon 01-Aug-16 22:03:25

This happened with my DS2. Don't panic, but make sure you have everything packed etc, then if no pains, get some sleep. Don't panic!

My waters broke at 7.30am, on holiday, so after the usual morning routine I went to the nearest hospital so they could get my records sent to them and would be ready for me when it all started. They don't like you to be 'out & about' for more than 24 hours due to the risk of infection apparently.

They insisted on an examination. I was already 7cm, but didn't feel a pain until about 9pm. Luckily they had kept me in, as I delivered after my 3'rd contraction at 9.12pm.

Good luck and congratulations!

user1466690252 Mon 01-Aug-16 22:05:30

Hes back tomorrow. He will drive like a demon panicking about me bless him and the weather is awful is rather him blissfully get the sleep unaware before it all kicks off. There really isnt any contractions at all so i think i will wait and see if the general consensus is that it isnt an emergency. The midwifes will tell me to wait and see a bit if its not getting worse. Im right in thinking no pain or no lack in movement no emergency?

NapQueen Mon 01-Aug-16 22:07:22

As long as movement is normal and no pains I'd call them just to say your waters have gone and they will advise to come in in 24 hours if no pains beforehand

Then try and get some sleep.

Good luck!

user1466690252 Mon 01-Aug-16 22:07:28

Holy shit! Id like a birth like yours! Ok great thanks everyone. Its not enough to fill a pad i dont think but ill put one in and get some sleep.

AGruffaloCrumble Mon 01-Aug-16 22:08:58

If it's not enough to fill a pad I wouldn't say it's your waters. Ring your midwife unit, get checked.

user1466690252 Mon 01-Aug-16 22:10:03

Great thanks everyone

Imnotaslimjim Mon 01-Aug-16 22:18:34

Your waters can go slowly rather than the big gush we all see in the movies. Pop a pad on and lie down on your back for 30-40 minutes. If you're waters are leaking they'll pool inside and you'll get a gush as you stand. Good luck.

3luckystars Mon 01-Aug-16 22:24:05

Ring the hospital anyway. I had a baby in my arms very VERY shortly after my waters went! It all happened very fast, there was no big gush either.

Very best wishes to you for a safe delivery, looking forward to reading your good news on this thread soon!!

AGruffaloCrumble Mon 01-Aug-16 22:25:12

slimjim OP said already it's not enough to fill a pad hence why I suggested triage for a amniotic fluid strip test.

WellErrr Mon 01-Aug-16 22:31:38

Oooh good luck OP!

Improvisingnow Mon 01-Aug-16 23:22:25

Just to say OP do speak to your midwife or doctor tomorrow. It does sound likely to be a slow leak of your waters - not necessarily a problem and might last a few days but they will definitely want to monitor you.

Afreshstartplease Tue 02-Aug-16 07:36:18

Any news op!?

user1466690252 Tue 02-Aug-16 09:10:23

Nope! All stopped no leakage no pain but itchy in that area (sorry tmi)?!

MyBreadIsEggy Tue 02-Aug-16 09:15:46

My waters broke very very slowly. I went k the hospital and got it checked out, and the midwife said it was like a slow puncture in a bike tyre hmm so there was a tiny hole in the amniotic sac where the water was leaking out, but then as baby moved, part of her body would seal the hole so the slow leaking would temporarily stop!
I would keep an eye on it today, and if you have anymore leakage, I would go get checked smile

AGruffaloCrumble Tue 02-Aug-16 09:43:20

If you ring triage they will be able to test any leaking to confirm if it is your waters as if you do have a slow leak you do need to know.

0hCrepe Tue 02-Aug-16 09:46:50

Mine leaked very slowly. I had to be induced after a couple of days because labour hadn't started within 72 hours on its own to reduce the risk of infection. Good luck!

Shantotto Tue 02-Aug-16 09:48:02

This happened to me - I thought I'd wet myself! I popped to the kitchen for some water and when I noticed I'd left a puddle in the floor there too I rang the ward!

I went along to confirm it was my waters, then sent back home to wait for labour to start. As 24 hours went by and nothing happened, I had to go in for induction.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now