Talk

Advanced search

Gestational Diabetes - Impaired Glucose Intolerance Result

(9 Posts)
Bellabelloo Mon 01-Aug-16 19:52:02

I just got my GTT results and I have impaired glucose tolerance and will be retested at some point. Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

Bellabelloo Tue 02-Aug-16 07:42:17

Anyone out there had this? It's really worrying me and what it means for the baby. X

Thundercake Tue 02-Aug-16 07:58:10

I had gestational diabetes, no laughing matter but with good self control ( diet) it can be very effectively managed. Or you may need insulin. I'm in no way a doctor but I don't think you can do anything to reverse it, if you've got it you've got it. But I'd stay away from all obvious sugars until the repeat test. You won't do your baby any harm in the few days before the next test.

MagpieCursedTea Tue 02-Aug-16 08:09:54

I had GD in my first pregnancy and was diagnosed at 13 weeks this time around (I'm almost 18 weeks now). There's a fantastic website called Gestational Diabetes UK which has great advice on it. There's also a Facebook group that goes with that. I've been finding it so helpful and it's made it a much less daunting and lonely experience than it was in my first pregnancy.

RosieTheCat Tue 02-Aug-16 08:20:53

I was diagnosed with gd at 28 weeks now 34 I had to see a dietitian who advised 50g of carbs per meal and to cut out obvious sugars,
following this diet sent my numbers sky high and i now know that a lot of people struggle with it and will end up in metiformin or insulin

There is a group on Facebook gestational diabetes uk mums they give some different advice to the dietitians mostly just about the amount of carbs and pairing foods nothing drastic and by following their advice I have stayed diet controlled as have many others

just make sure you don't cut out carbs completely as that will give you issues with keytones and follow the advice that makes the most sence to you just because it works for some people dosent mean it works for all

Bellabelloo Tue 02-Aug-16 08:25:50

Thank you so much for your replies. I will check out that group. Were your babies fine first time around and did you have ongoing problems once the baby was born or did it resolve itself? X

MagpieCursedTea Tue 02-Aug-16 08:29:08

My DS struggled with low blood sugars for a few days but I think that was partly because they induced me too early (long labour, we were both very tired, that plus tongue tie made feeding hard etc) and I hadn't been advised to harvest colostrum beforehand which would've helped and I will be doing this time. He was absolutely fine after that though and hasn't had any other issues. I had a GTT 6 weeks after the birth and my sugars had gone back to normal.

Thundercake Tue 02-Aug-16 08:32:50

My baby was 7lb 7 and perfectly healthy. It's a very scary diagnosis but can be really well managed. It's hard not to let it consume you though. Hopefully you'll see a dietician at some point. As a previous poster said it's different for everyone, two wheatabix with milk gave me really high blood results. Seek support and try see it as extreme healthy living with no cheat days.

RosieTheCat Tue 02-Aug-16 09:18:45

I didn't have gd for Dd1 though I do wonder if I just developed it later she was 8lb7 and we had a few issues jaundice ect but nothing nasty but I did end up in hospital for 5 1/2 days from my waters going to emcs and then being discharged

Iv been told that even if you have a stright forward Vb with gd you'll be kept in for longer so they can check baby's blood sugars, I think they do this three times over the course of the stay and as long as they come back ok you'll be allows to leave if baby struggles you'll be kept in a bit longer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now