Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Worth the money?

(21 Posts)
usernoidea Mon 01-Aug-16 14:21:04

Anyone used a maternity pillow? I'm im my last few weeks of pregnancy and can't get comfy in bed. Was going to buy one of these but not sure if a waste of money?!
Any advice welcome please? X

Luckystar1 Mon 01-Aug-16 14:22:51

I'm 40+3, I can't sleep without mine. Get one!

almostthirty Mon 01-Aug-16 14:24:02

Definitely get one. I used mine a lot after I had dc too.

LillyC Mon 01-Aug-16 14:30:09

I don't have one, but I have been a small belly (even at week 35!). I use 2 regular pillows at home, but I believe most people would benefit from one, so if you're already struggling to sleep get one

ElornaElephant Mon 01-Aug-16 14:32:10

Yes, definitely go for it - will still be very handy when baby is born - to prop LO against or use as support when feeding. smile

usernoidea Mon 01-Aug-16 15:17:49

Fab advice. Thanks ladies. Any recommendations as to which one?! X

usernoidea Mon 01-Aug-16 15:18:02

Fab advice. Thanks ladies. Any recommendations as to which one?! X

Whatsername17 Mon 01-Aug-16 15:18:08

I've just bought a boppy. It goes under the bump and between my legs. I'm only 15+3 but baby gets wriggly when I try and lie on my tummy so I'm hoping this will help me get comfy on my side. I had a wedge with dd which was great for my bump but didn't help at the end when my legs ached. I didn't have a big bump but it was still worth it.

FourForYouGlenCoco Mon 01-Aug-16 15:26:53

I got one of the v-shaped pillows from IKEA, was a tenner or so iirc and was an absolute bloody godsend - I had SPD and really noticed the difference with the pillow vs without! It wrapped round/under my bump to support it and then between my knees to help with the pelvic pain. Was the only way I could get even vaguely comfy in the latter months.
Baby is now 10 days old and hates being put down on his back, so the v pillow is now used for naps in the day and he settles so much better. I also use it as extra back support when bf in the night. It's bloody brilliant, been worth the money 10 times over, and it's not even a 'proper' maternity pillow!

SpecialStains Mon 01-Aug-16 15:30:42

I got a dream genie after it was recommended on here. I use it occasionally, but I'm quite small and at 37weeks still find an ordinary pillow more comfortable.

I have pregnant friends rave about pregnancy pillows though. It's probably something I could have managed fine without.

PotatoBread Mon 01-Aug-16 15:30:55

Don't buy the dream genii - total shite and a waste of money. I ended up just sleeping with a spare normal pillow between my knees and another one under bump - much better

PotatoBread Mon 01-Aug-16 15:31:37

Oh, cross post with SpecialStains grin

SpecialStains Mon 01-Aug-16 15:36:35

I agree with potato bread. I think someone I knew had a v shaped pillow and said it was great as they could also use it afterwards to prop baby up in when they were first sitting up.

Pops1985 Mon 01-Aug-16 15:39:39

Totally agree about how annoying the Dream Genie is, I have another one from mothercare, not sure of the name but its basically three parts and its easy to move around.

Loulou2kent Mon 01-Aug-16 15:46:19

I loved my £10 Argos v-pillow. Baby loved it too. Helped with bf & he loved to be laid on it as it felt someone was hugging him. (Just so you know, he was never left unattended, just next to me but laying in the crook).

broodymamma Mon 01-Aug-16 15:53:34

As a mum of 5 I would not recommend the dream geni. I would highly recommend a memory foam cushion as seems to hit all the right spots. Good luck!

NisekoWhistler Mon 01-Aug-16 16:03:06

Got the theraline banana shaped one, had it since 28 weeks and it's a godsend. Also doubles up as a breastfeeding pillow so excellent value.
I believe people use them for tummy time too so lots of use. They also sell well in Ebay when you're done with it.

MyKingdomForBrie Mon 01-Aug-16 16:09:38

Just have a standard v shape and I can't sleep well without it at all, definitely recommend one.

rosegoldie Mon 01-Aug-16 16:14:26

Yes yes yes get one! I have theraline one which is about £30 on amazon at the mo

DrWhy Mon 01-Aug-16 16:14:37

I was leant the Dream Genie and it's a total arse, like wrestling a pillow Python if you want to move in the night - so glad I didn't pay for it!
Have largely given up with buggering about with pillows because I turn over so much but I am getting pretty sore now so I might have to try it again. Vaguely interested in a v-shaped pillow so might try that.

Wetcappuccino Mon 01-Aug-16 16:19:23

I didn't feel the Dream Genii was worth the money - but you can get a V pillow or long body pillow (my preference) much cheaper from Argos and the like and I found them invaluable when I could no longer sleep on my front.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now