Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Consultant for High BMI. What happened at your first appointment?

(18 Posts)
Porcupinetree Mon 01-Aug-16 10:25:56

I'm consultant led due to high BMI. I have my first consultant appointment this week, if you have also been consultant led what happened at your first appointment?

Did they just discuss things or was it more hands on? Blood pressure? Weight? Baby's heartbeat?

Thanks.

Pops1985 Mon 01-Aug-16 13:14:37

Honestly it was such a non event, I think its probably very similar to a 16 week midwife appointment. We did listen to the heartbeat and he read my notes and as I sometimes have a slightly high BP he made me an extra appointment with a cardiologist (which ended up being fine). He just explained what upcoming appointments I have to make such as glucose test at 28 weeks etc. I am seeing a midwife for 25 week check (first baby) and then 28 week appointment is back with the consultant. It was very relaxed, they didnt weigh me but did do BP and urine but I think they do that at all ante-natal appointments regardless of BMI. Good luck!

Jodie1982 Mon 01-Aug-16 13:59:28

Mine have always been the same as a MW appt. Later on they discussed labour n induction due to severe SPD. That's it really.

honeysucklejasmine Mon 01-Aug-16 14:03:01

Yeah, nothing really interesting to be honest. Booked a Glucose Tolerance Test, referred me to a dietician who basically talked me through what a diabetic diet was. Each time I saw them they just ordered blood tests and read my notes. 5 min appointment max, massive waste of time.

(I passed the GTT and did not get GD. Nothing out of the ordinary happened in my pregnancy)

Northernlight22 Mon 01-Aug-16 16:35:19

Total non event, booked GTT and was told I'd be referred for anaesthetic assessment later on and would have growth scans. Just read my notes and told me to be sensible with what I was eating.

28 week consultant appt was pretty regular too - discussed GTT result (I don't have GD) and reminded me about anaesthetic appt in a few weeks.

Both of them I was in and out in 5 mins!

Porcupinetree Tue 02-Aug-16 09:52:35

Thank you for your replies, I'm hoping somebody will attempt to find baby's heartbeat.

Jodie1982 Tue 02-Aug-16 14:10:26

In my area they only check heartbeat after 16wks unfortunately. How far along are you?

Northernlight22 Tue 02-Aug-16 15:12:19

My midwife checked Heartbeat at 16 weeks, consultants have never checked that for me.

Porcupinetree Wed 03-Aug-16 06:59:52

I'm 16 weeks. Unfortunately the consultant said it was too early for her to check the heartbeat but the appointment went well.

I actually discovered I wasn't actually there due to high BMI (thanks midwife!) but instead to talk about my previous third degree tear.

Consultant was lovely and I would much rather see her than my midwife that seems to delight in talking to me as if I have roughly two brain cells. Sadly consultant doesn't need to see me anymore.

Just in case anyone else reads this thread, she checked urine and blood pressure but nothing else.

Thank you for your replies.

tillytubby Wed 03-Aug-16 07:18:23

Can I ask did she recommend going for a vaginal birth again? This is what was recommended at my recent consultant appointment after third degree tear and I was totally convinced I would be booked for c section! Don't actually want one but very confused now!

Jodie1982 Wed 03-Aug-16 10:12:52

tillytubby I suffered 3rd and 4th degree tear in 1st birth and was told in 2nd pregnancy a C section wasn't necessary. Due to scarring I've always needed an Episiotomy when delivering. 😣

Porcupinetree Wed 03-Aug-16 13:45:08

Yes Tillytubby she did recommend a vaginal birth again . After DDs birth and the tear I always said is ask for a c section (also swore I wasn't having any other children!) but I'm actually happy to try vaginal birth again because ideally I'd quite like to be back home with DD asap.

Porcupinetree Wed 03-Aug-16 13:49:43

How did second birth go Jodie1982? If you tore/were cut again how did recovery compare?

Cupcakemumma123 Wed 03-Aug-16 17:03:26

If you don't mind me asking, at what point does high bmi require consultant led? I'm 9weeks preg and bmi 33, midwife hasn't mentioned being consultant led?? X

Porcupinetree Wed 03-Aug-16 19:34:18

I have no idea because as it turns out I was referred for the tear. However my BMI is considerably higher than yours and the consultant really wasn't interested!

Jodie1982 Wed 03-Aug-16 22:15:03

porcupinetree I've always recovered and healed really really well, never a problem or any issues with scarring at all. I've been told I have tough skin when mw's have been sewing me up, whatever that means? Lol.

PeppermintInfusion Wed 03-Aug-16 23:24:34

Cupcakemumma123 it varies according to your hospital. My BMI was 31ish when I was pregnant, and I had a consultant appointment for my 12 wk scan (would have been with midwife otherwise£. He reviewed my lifestyle/diet/exercise briefly and BP etc. Referred for the GTT and given some diet advice leaflets, but nothing too bad. As I had no issues from my weight I was passed back to midwife care.

SockQueen Wed 03-Aug-16 23:24:37

I think 35 or 40 is the cutoff, Cupcake - might vary depending on where you are. Obviously if there are any other issues then they might refer you even with a lower BMI.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now