Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Struggling to catch a breath normal?

(10 Posts)
Tealeaf321 Sun 31-Jul-16 18:22:47

Hi I'm just over 30 weeks and quite frequently have spells where I run out of breath, like I have been doing excersize, even when I'm relaxed, in fact it only happens when I sit or lie down and ALWAYS happens when I put my arms above my head.
I have put on 3 stone so far so not sure if it's the extra fat (I have eaten stupidly and it definatly isn't water I have put on in weight) making me struggle, or baby leaning on something? Although I was told babies don't lean on anything, they just swim around apparently. blush
Has anyone else had this? I'd say it's got most frequent in the last month.

SewSlapdash Sun 31-Jul-16 18:31:06

Er, who told you that babies swim around?

Yes, it's normal. Outside pregnancy, there is enough space in your abdomen and chest for your internal organs, including your lungs. By the time you're 30 weeks, there isn't anymore. Plus your heart is working harder to pump the extra blood around etc.

Tealeaf321 Sun 31-Jul-16 18:38:24

My 20 week scan the sonographer said babies don't lean on anything they just balance in water.
I was having some back pains and asked if it was due to baby leaning on a nerve, she said that's not possible as above.
Ergh! The breathlessness is making me feel really nauseas, this is definatly the worst trimester for me!

Leirope Sun 31-Jul-16 18:39:15

Could you be anaemic? I was severely anaemic and would get out of breath just sitting up.

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sun 31-Jul-16 18:41:16

Sonographer is right early on - the baby is two small and therefore doesn't rest on anything as such. However in the third tri the baby is running out of room and is pressing on other areas of your body. Whilst all your organs are squished throughout pregnancy it's at this stage your diaphragm really gets squashed causing the breathlessness. Certain positions may be easier than others.

However breathlessness can be a symptom of pre eclampsia - so watch out for other signs

April241 Sun 31-Jul-16 20:30:01

Have your bloods been okay? Could be anaemia or just that baby has ran out of room, I'd give the maternity unit a call, I had to call 3 weeks ago with breathlessness and back pain and they asked me to come in for monitoring. As for baby not leaning on anything they most definitely do as they get bigger, the third trimester would be far easier if they didn't. I have a head down baby who constantly headbutts my bladder and a transverse baby with their head in my ribs causing nerve pain - perfect! grin

MrsPickwick Sun 31-Jul-16 23:20:52

I've been horribly breathless since 18 weeks (I'm approaching 32 weeks now). Are you on the short side by any chance? I am, and I think that's contributed to the problem - there's just less room in my torso! I'm not anaemia or anything. You're into third tri now and yes, breathlessness is normal at this stage - alas!

MrsPickwick Sun 31-Jul-16 23:22:09

*not anaemic, even

Tealeaf321 Sun 31-Jul-16 23:35:06

Thanks for replies. Don't think I am anaemic, I have pretty regular appointments now and have been monitored at hospital a few times and touch wood all has been ok, did have low blood pressure and a fainting episode around 16 weeks but BP has been back to normal at other appointments. I am u items short around 5 foot.

I think it is because I've let myself gain so much fat, I yoyo dieted alot pre pregnancy and although not as bad, I feel shit when I'm fatter. Time to cut out the crap I think blush

DrWhy Sun 31-Jul-16 23:47:05

You mentioned sitting or lying down. Be careful not to lay on your back, the baby then presses in various blood vessels and can make you feel quite unwell, they had to give up on the last bit of my 34 week scan as I was getting close to passing out and had to keep turning onto my side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now