Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nursing bra advice needed please

(22 Posts)
3rdTriMossTer Sat 27-Jan-07 13:27:27

Wasn't sure whether to post this in the "style" thread or here!

Anyway, my question is this.

Firstly, how many nursing bras does one need? I am 31+4 weeks pg and am planning to give bf a go.

Secondly, I would like to buy one nursing bra now, just in case I go early (you never know!)

So what I need to know is about what size to buy. I am normally a 32F and haven't grown much so far, I have gone up to a 34G. What size nursing bra should I buy? 34G or one size bigger in the cup? Or one size bigger in the back?

Also where can I buy a nursing bra in this sort of size at a reasonable price? All the ones I've seen so far have been over £30 is this just par for the course?

And is there even the remotest possibility of getting a bra that looks quite nice? Or should I just abandon all hope?

TheBlonde Sat 27-Jan-07 13:35:48

Moss I can't recall where you live
Any John Lewis or similar near you?
They will do a fitting for you

I would buy one and then wait until after arrival - you can buy them online at figleaves and bravissimo

Last time round I was told to go back down a back size eg back to 32 but they were too tight post birth so I ended up buying 34s
Cup size will go up once your milk arrives

TheBlonde Sat 27-Jan-07 13:36:28

You could also try NCT

viclb76 Sat 27-Jan-07 13:39:35

If you go to mothercare they offer a free measuring service and trained advisors to give you the best advice

3rdTriMossTer Sat 27-Jan-07 13:39:39

TheBlonde hello

There is a John Lewis in Liverpool, will I have to buy a bra from them if they do me a fitting?

I looked on figleaves and I get the Bravissimo catalogue, all the bf bras were in the £30 range, I've always been quite big so have been used to paying more but it feels like they add on extra again for making them bf bras!

I will just have to grin and bear it, so do you think I should go for a 34H then, go up a cup size?

3rdTriMossTer Sat 27-Jan-07 13:41:18

viclb76 I didn't know that about mothercare, I may be going there either tomorrow or next weekend anyway, so I can ask them to measure me.

TheBlonde Sat 27-Jan-07 13:43:22

Hiya, you aren't obliged to buy a bra
Mothercare will also do fittings

It's hard to say what size you'll need, I'm not sure if it's up one or two or even three cup sizes - you need a pro to measure you really

I am currently wearing bras that are too small 36H and hoping I'll get back into my previous nursing bras 34K

viclb76 Sat 27-Jan-07 13:44:44

I went there with my 3rd and they were really helpful and I think they do a range that you wear now as a maternity bra and then doubles up as a nursing bra once you've had the baby,which is better than forking out for both.
hope this helps

3rdTriMossTer Sat 27-Jan-07 13:55:19

Thanks I will ask them in mothercare rather than buy online then, it's quite an expensive purchase so I need to be sure I'm getting the right size!!!

AllBuggiedOut Sat 27-Jan-07 14:00:46

I found Mothercare nursing bras a false economy as although they were cheaper, they didn't wear well and soon lost all their supportive powers. I got on with the Emma Jane range that jJohn Lewis sell.

Good luck!

booge Sat 27-Jan-07 14:03:39

I much prefer the bras I'm wearing this time from John Lewis to the ones I bought in Mothercare last time. I have one Elle McPherson one which is by far and away the nicest bf bra I've had. I have 4 and need at least that many as I am very leaky and sometimes forget a pad so they are always in the wash.

sazzybee Sat 27-Jan-07 14:06:40

Those Elle MacPherson ones are really pretty but I don't think they do them in huge boob size.

I'm going to try John Lewis - the lady there was very nice when I went with my friend when she was buying breast feeding bras.

peachygirl Sat 27-Jan-07 14:13:33

I went into JL a couple of weeks ago and told I was too early to be measured. They told me to ring to book an appointment then I wouldn't have to wait, maybe your branch will do this too?

3rdTriMossTer Sat 27-Jan-07 14:45:55

Well, I think I will go to Mothercare, probably tomorrow, to see if I can get just one bra just in case, and then wait until I'm a bit nearer the time and go and get fitted in John Lewis and buy a couple of more expensive ones.

No those nice Elle McP bras don't go big enough for me unfortunately looks like it's a double parachute! Never mind!

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Shivs1974 Sat 27-Jan-07 15:04:28

Your local NCT branch might have a bra lady who will do fittings. I found our one to be so much better than Mothercare and M&S.

Tommy Sat 27-Jan-07 15:23:28

I haven't had good experiences with Mothercare bra fitting tbh.
I find Debenhams much better now. You really need (IME) an "older" lady who is experienced at this sort of thing - some of the younger ones get a bit embarrassed I've found and you end up with a badly fitting bra becasue they just want to finish!

TuttiFrutti Sat 27-Jan-07 16:01:26

The NCT bras are excellent, and they do them in bigger sizes. I've also found Royce bras (sold in John Lewis and through the NCT website) good, and I bought 2 from M&S last week that were surprisingly good for the price (£25 for two, so much cheaper than anywhere else).

I agree with other people that Mothercare bras are not good as they don't give enough support and don't wear well. The Bravado bras have quite a following for larger sizes, but I find them too unflattering!

I would buy the size that fits you, and ignore all advice about buying smaller in the back/larger in the cup. Your boobs will probably increase in size immediately after the birth, but go back down after a few days to what they were just beforehand.

pistachio Sat 27-Jan-07 20:34:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pestcontrol Wed 05-Sep-07 14:31:09

Hi,

I hope you don't mind me messanging you, it's just that I was 32F pre preg, have gone up to 34G, am now 37 weeks & keen to find a nursing bra that is very supportive, so wondered if you found any good bras?

I need to order it over the internet as I'm too far from shops to be able to try the one I'm interested in (Anita underwire - only have equivalent to a UK 34G & Freya Rosarie) on.

Thank you!!

missbumpy Wed 05-Sep-07 16:04:33

I've heard good things about the Freya Rosalie one. I can't rememeber where but it was another MN thread. It scores highly on the reviews on figleaves too. I'm planning to get one in a few weeks when I'm closer to my due date.
Let us know how you get on with it if you get it.

Piffle Wed 05-Sep-07 16:06:07

I have 2 x freya rosalie (lovely bra really recommend it) and 2 bravado ones whocha rejust a simple supprt good for bigger bust
I was a 36 FF
but found I was truly a 32HH and that is what my bras are now and they FIT!
Worth paying the money tbh

missbumpy Wed 05-Sep-07 16:36:49

Yet another recommendation for Freya Rosalie then. Apparently you can get 20% off at figleaves by entering the code 'birth07'. Read that somewhere on MN.
Not sure when I should buy mine. Should I leave it until 39 weeks or something?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now