Advanced search

if you have a decent wage are u entitled to any child allowances

(19 Posts)
becciandbump Fri 29-Jul-16 22:54:19

My husband and I have good salaries although im soon to go part time. When I was a child I remember my mum claiming a small allowance for us even though my dad had a good job. Does this still exist or is it just for low income families? Am I right that we can get some free nursery hours when child is 3/4 or is that based on income too?

Dixiechick17 Fri 29-Jul-16 22:56:44

You are entitled to £80 a month minimum, even celebs are entitled to that.

schbittery Fri 29-Jul-16 22:58:58

really? I have 3 dc and get nothing. Are you talking about child benefit? that was chnaged to being family income under 50k a couple of years back.

RJnomore1 Fri 29-Jul-16 22:59:45

Childcare is universal entitlement for your child at age 3.

The child benefit cap is now I think set if one person in the household is a higher rate tax payer.

Dixie is definitely wrong as it is no longer universal.

If you could define a good wage Iyo I could be more specific.

Passthecake30 Fri 29-Jul-16 23:00:06

The £80 per month is means tested now. Everyone gets 15hours nursery provision for children over 3.

RJnomore1 Fri 29-Jul-16 23:00:14

Schb it is based on the highest earner not family income.

WibblyWobblyJellyHead Fri 29-Jul-16 23:01:40

Child Benefit is reduced when one person goes over £50k, and you lose it entirely when you hit £60k. That's individual income, not joint.

You can increase your pension contributions to stay under the limit if you're on the borderline.

All children get 15hrs a week funded from the term after their 3rd birthday.

WibblyWobblyJellyHead Fri 29-Jul-16 23:04:14

Also you don't actually lose the CB, you can still claim it but the higher earner will have to pay some or all of it back through tax.

orangebird69 Fri 29-Jul-16 23:05:39

ANYONE with children can claim child benefit. You may have to pay part or all back in tax if your earnings are over the threshold. You really MUST claim if you are a sahm regardless of whether you have to pay it back or not - it gives you NI credits towards your state pension.

DeliciouslyHella Sat 30-Jul-16 07:33:41

Orangebird - There's other options too. You can also opt to not receive the payments, but still be registered for the protection claiming child benefit offers. That's what we've done - we would have to pay everything back otherwise, which seems nonsensical to me.

Daytona79 Sat 30-Jul-16 07:42:35

I'm entitled to £649.50 a year but my husband has to pay £649 in tax back for it so we get 50p

So the answer is no you get nothing if wages are high 5 figures or 6 figures.

You can go on line and type in Salaries and it will give you the Amount you can get v tax due on it

Type in CB calculator

Rainshowers Sat 30-Jul-16 07:58:35

DelisciouslyHella what is the protection that comes with being registered for child benefit? I never bothered as DH earns above the threshold and ai don't see the point. But should I be?

HarlettOScara Sat 30-Jul-16 08:05:38

DH recently got a pay increase, taking him above 50K and close to £60K. I rang to cancel my CB as its not worth the hassle of continuing to claim and complete a tax return. I was advised that my claim is suspended and that if his income drops (or, presumably, if we were to split or whatever) my claim can be resumed.

SpaghettiMeatballs Sat 30-Jul-16 08:06:40

We can't have child benefit as earn above threshold.

DD gets 15 hours nursery paid for term time only as she is 4.

DD and DS both get free prescriptions, opticians appointments and dental appointments. That isn't means tested at all.

hugoagogo Sat 30-Jul-16 08:09:19 will tell you what you need to know.

reup Sat 30-Jul-16 08:10:57

If you need to pay for childcare you may be eligible to pay through your wages. You pay this amount before tax so you then pay slightly less tax which is a bit of a saving. Various companies offer these childcare vouchers but I think the system is changing in the next couple of years.

orangebird69 Sat 30-Jul-16 08:11:30

Rainshowers it's to do with your NI contributions which go towards your state pension. I'm a sahm. My dh earns 6 figures so don't qualify to keep CB. But if I don't claim it or register for it, no credits will be given towards my NI contributions which affects the level of state pension I will receive when I retire. Read through the overview and links here

Rainshowers Sat 30-Jul-16 09:55:53

Ah ok, I did know that part. Wasn't sure if there was something else I was missing. I'm back at work so paying NI anyway. I should probably register in case I stop working suddenly.

becciandbump Sat 30-Jul-16 10:42:14

Thanks for the advice over NI contributions and pensions that is really helpful. My husband I think earns over £50k threshold but not sure it's over £60. My salary will prob only cover nursery fees when I go down to 3 days x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now