Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

If I had group strep in my previous pregnancy do I still have it?

(6 Posts)
abbinobb Thu 28-Jul-16 10:20:13

and will they test for it?
I'm 5 weeks at.
they swabbed me at triage when my waters broke as they thought ds wouldn't be born for a while (few hours later...) and phoned me a few days after we were home to tell me I had group b strep and to keep an eye on D'S. He was fine. But after googling about it I'm really scared about the fact that I have it now and also that my labour with ds was so quick so the antibiotic drip for 12 hours wouldn't be possible if this one is as quick

DesignedForLife Thu 28-Jul-16 10:31:31

It can come and go, but you should be able to ask to be retested- think it's better to wait till nearer the end. It's one of those things that if you know about it, you're at a big advantage as you can have the antibiotics and minimise the risk.

GruffaloPants Thu 28-Jul-16 10:34:20

Apparently testing can be hit and miss. I was just given antibiotics in labour the second time as my first DD had group b strep on wounds after she was born.

HughLauriesStubble Thu 28-Jul-16 23:04:39

It can come and go. I had it in first pregnancy. Tested negative in second pregnancy but they still gave me antibiotics in labour as a precaution. I'm in Ireland though so not sure if it's the same procedure for uk.

Iloveapplepie Fri 29-Jul-16 09:35:54

I tested positive in first pregnancy (I paid for test). In this pregnancy midwife says I'll be treated as if I am positive - even without testing. So I will have antibiotics in labour as a precaution

Mummyme87 Fri 29-Jul-16 10:31:04

Depends where you are. Where I work we do not retest and if you have previously had GBS with an unaffected baby you are treated as negative in this pregnancy.
It is transient infection so comes and goes, best time to be tested is 36/40 and usually privately as their testing is more accurate than NHS. There are a lot of false positives and false negatives.
Also to consider, a large cochrane review of thousands of cases showed that intravenous antibiotics in labour were unlikely to pass through the placenta to the baby therefore not actually providing any protection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now