Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Accidentally being rude when trying to avoid revealing pregnancy

(7 Posts)
MissClarke86 Mon 25-Jul-16 19:43:16

This has happened to me twice now! I'm 7 weeks pregnant and only a few people know.

Last week I mentioned having a bad headache and before I knew it my auntie had ran off and returned with ibuprofen, out of the packet, which I then had to refuse and pretend it gives me stomach ache.

Then today at work, a new member of staff asked if I fancied helping him move some heavy furniture. My brain had a fart and I just went "not really" and walked away. Why couldn't I have made something up about having a bad back? He must think I'm so rude now.

SmallBee Mon 25-Jul-16 19:46:13

Sorry but that ' not really 'has made me giggle.
I wouldn't sweat it too much, once you announce your pregnancy they'll understand and forgive you.

BagPusscatnip Mon 25-Jul-16 19:49:43

Don't worry OP. I'm not very good with thinking on my feet either. When I was pregnant with DD2 I had been off work for a week with a very bad dose of norovirus. When I got back one of the bitchy women in my office asked me what had been wrong so I told her and she said "oh well, it's really good for losing a bit of weight." I was so indignant that I blustered "actually I'm pregnant." Had a second of oh shit (I was only 8 weeks, and had only just come back from maternity leave with DD2), and practically begged her not to tell anyone shock. I'm sure she would have though. I wish I'd have just been rude and told her to sod off instead grin

MonkeyPoozzled76 Mon 25-Jul-16 20:51:00

I went to see DM yesterday. She very much wanted me to haul a giant old fashioned tv down a ladder out the attic to the tip. I tried saying I couldn't managed it until she got the hump and pointed out I put it up there in the first place. Then she offered me a bree sandwich, which I declined. More huffing and puffing.

Eventually I caved in and told her my news, bless her there were tears and jazz hands and talk of knitting.

If I didn't know better I'd say she had her suspicions and set me some tasks to force my confession!

thecatsarecrazy Mon 25-Jul-16 21:38:32

When i got to the end of my shift last week another girl on the till asked if I could put her baskets away. I just said no I don't have time blush. My supervisor has been telling people I have a bad back and a few days later she said oh I didn't know you had a bad back, I wouldn't have asked you to do my baskets.

kikisdelivery Tue 26-Jul-16 08:52:47

I wouldn't worry either! We went out last weekend to an all day beer festival where I (obviously) didn't drink. Everyone piled back to our house afterwards and I basically, by around 2am, quite literally threw them all out pretty rudely (I'd gone to bed and got back up, went downstairs, said "Oh you're still here, I'll wait up until you're gone then" and watched them all shiftily get their stuff together and slink out through the door!!).

I felt kinda bad the next day, but honestly, I'm sure once we get to the stage of explaining ourselves all will become clear about why I don't want all-night parties any more!

eastcoastmum2014 Tue 26-Jul-16 12:54:05

Haha I think everyone at work thinks I'm super lazy as I keep asking people to lift stuff for me and making excuses to sit at the computer after lunch when I always feel sick! All will become clear eventually so I'm not worried!! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now