We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Losing weight!

(15 Posts)
babyash Mon 25-Jul-16 08:39:58

I'm 9 weeks pregnant, eating like a horse yet I have now lost nearly 5lb since getting my bfp! I suppose my portions have been a little smaller due to nausea (but I've not been actually sick) but I'm constantly snacking all day long.
Anyone else's weight gone down before going up??

kiki22 Mon 25-Jul-16 10:00:31

I lost half a stone in the first 12 weeks then didn't gain til 20 weeks 35 now and I've gained 1 stone (half a lose if you count from my pre pregnancy weight) its really not a bad thing as long as you are not under weight to start with and you are eating.

There are some really bad ideas out there about how much weigh you 'need' to put on while pregnant when you don't need to put weight on until near the end and even then its minimal. What weight you started at makes a difference if you start at being obese you wouldn't want to put weight on really you need to lose fat.

babyash Mon 25-Jul-16 10:04:23

I'm average, it's nice to be honest as I had a little bit of side wobble to lose so I'm not complaining grin was just amazing how I was losing given how much I'm eating - I guess it just goes to show how hard our bodies work growing a baby!!
My last two pregnancies were literally baby weight, my arms and legs were in the best shape ever! Maybe it's the way my body is. I'll mention to the midwife on Friday but I'm sure that it's fine given that I'm eating and drinking ok despite the nausea!!

user1463652193 Mon 25-Jul-16 11:52:37

I lost a stone in the first trimester, and have put on 2 pounds so far in the second (23 weeks tomorrow), but I am eating like a horse and I was overweight to start with. As pp said, if you're underweight its a worry but I wouldn't worry if you're not.

LondonGirl83 Mon 25-Jul-16 13:14:28

I'm normal weight based on BMI. I am now 10 weeks and have lost 8 pounds so far and its still dropping.

Its fairly common to lose in the first trimester. Grazing doesn't help with my nausea so I think that's probably why as I haven't been doing to all day snacking thing. As long as you are getting all of the vitamins and fluids you need from a healthy diet I wouldn't worry about it. I've heard it only becomes a concern to health care professionals if you lose more than 10% of your body weight due to nausea etc.

ShakespeareanQuotations Mon 25-Jul-16 13:23:10

I'm 27 weeks and I put on 3lbs in the first trimester. I have not gained anything in the second trimester. My BMI is 25 so I'm on the heavier side of healthy.
I'm still wearing all of my normal clothes and have only just had to stop sleeping flat on my stomach as the baby wriggles a lot when I do now. I am struggling to get comfortable sitting down though and get out of breath easily. It feels like the baby and my uterus is just crushing my insides rather than expanding outwards.

ShakespeareanQuotations Mon 25-Jul-16 13:25:55

And I've apparently lost the ability to form grammatically correct sentences. I'm also exhausted by late afternoon and frequently have a rest on the sofa, sometimes falling asleep for 15-20 minutes.

SquedgieBeckenheim Mon 25-Jul-16 13:27:23

With DD I lost quite a bit of weight in the first trimester, due to morning sickness and heartburn. I had a healthy weight gain over all though, and it was all baby weight. This time around I've already put weight on (I'm only 5 weeks) blush although a lot of that was holiday weight at the time of conception.

Lostbrokenandconfused Mon 25-Jul-16 13:31:29

Hah, I love that you all attribute it to nausea, you're all much more wholesome than I am. Mine was because I stopped drinking - quite scary how much you lose when you just pass on your usual wine in the evening!

RosieTheCat Mon 25-Jul-16 14:11:53

I lost a stone at the start of this pregnancy no sickness tho and then stayed the same for the whole of the second trimester only just putting any weight back on now at 33 weeks

stealthbanana Mon 25-Jul-16 15:15:19

I don't know when and how I lost weight as I don't weigh myself regularly, but I weighed myself for the first time at 16w and was 8 pounds down on my starting weight (which wasn't huge - bmi of 19.5). I think it's a combination of morning sickness, not drinking and generally being anti social and not out eating restaurant food etc. I've got massive boobs now so he weight must have fallen off somewhere else. Baby is growing fine so far so assume it's just one of those things!

CharminglyGawky Mon 25-Jul-16 16:45:02

I had quite a high bmi (30ish blush) and in the first trimester lost just over a stone due to morning sickness. No idea where bmi is now as I don't want to calculate it but it must be at least a bit lower now!

kiki22 Mon 25-Jul-16 19:44:02

lost pretty sure mine was the lack of booze too grin

Huesofblue Mon 25-Jul-16 20:45:10

I'm 33 weeks, in hospital on a drip and being tube fed through my nose due to hyperemesis. I'm 5lb lighter than before I fell pregnant but baby, ds3, is still thriving and was an estimated 3lbs 12oz at last week's scan. Section booked for next Thursday when I'll be 34 weeks and 2 days. Just goes to show that these little ones are perfect parasites!

BeFitMom Tue 26-Jul-16 18:05:35

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now