Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is hooping cough vaccination safe to give pregnant mums to be?!

(12 Posts)
littlelen16 Sun 24-Jul-16 17:20:06

I'm just over 34 weeks pregnant and last week my midwife has advised I get the hooping cough vaccination. Since last year it seems they now like to give mums-to-be the vaccination so it passes through to immunise baby. However, when asked about the side effects of this no one can tell me anything! Only that it has only been available for a year and it has been vigorously tested to ensure it is safe for both the mother to be and baby. My midwife even asked me to google it to find out more!

Does anyone have any advice/thoughts on this? I don't really know what to believe...

Thanks 

orangebird69 Sun 24-Jul-16 17:22:17

I had mine at 36 weeks. It's a total no brainer imo. Whooping cough cases are on the rise. Why wouldn't you want to pass on protection to you unborn child until they can have their own vaccinations?

orangebird69 Sun 24-Jul-16 17:22:51

My ds is now 9mo. Perfectly healthy, as am I.

dotdotdotmustdash Sun 24-Jul-16 17:25:35

Lots of advice about Whooping cough here...
www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/whooping-cough-vaccination-pregnant.aspx#side

MrsJoeyMaynard Sun 24-Jul-16 17:26:01

I had one when pregnant with DS2. He's almost 3, and the whooping cough vaccine for pregnant women was recommended then, so this has been a thing for at least 3 years.

Can't remember how far along I was now.

But the only side effect was my arm being sore for a few days.

FruitCider Sun 24-Jul-16 17:26:35

It's been available for longer than a year. It's very safe, as are all vaccines.

PeekAtChu Sun 24-Jul-16 17:29:44

Get the vaccine. I know someone whose young baby caught whooping cough and was very poorly with it.

littlelen16 Sun 24-Jul-16 17:31:40

Thank you. I've been super worried about getting the vaccination incase it harms my unborn baby. With the midwife saying it has only been available in the UK for a year I was just terrified of anything going wrong. I've tried to have as much of a natural pregnancy as possible so far so the thought of having some of it injected into baby really scares me! The midwife didn't seem to know much either which worried me further.

Afreshstartplease Sun 24-Jul-16 17:32:23

I had it with dd who is now 3.3 and will be having it again in the next two weeks for DC4

littlelen16 Sun 24-Jul-16 17:38:37

Thanks so much everyone for your advice, you've reassured me now and I'll be getting booked in for it next week. smile

TabbyToes Sun 24-Jul-16 17:39:35

Hi there, your midwife is mistaken, it's been recommended for pregnant women for several years now due to a resurgence of whooping cough (which can be v v nasty for small babies). It's best to get it done soon OP so that the protective antibodies you produce in response to the vaccine have a chance to cross the placenta to protect your baby once born.

LBOCS2 Sun 24-Jul-16 17:45:27

It's not only been around for a year, it was around when I had DD1 who is now almost 4.

I had whooping cough when I was pregnant with DD1 - I had the jab too late. It is extremely, extremely unpleasant. Coughing so much you're sick and pull muscles in your stomach when you're heavily pregnant and then having to wear incontinence pads once you give birth because your pelvic floor just isn't up to it when you start having a spate of coughing. I could get DD1 to sleep on my chest through the noise as she was so used to it and when we were out and about the cold air would set me off so I couldn't breathe - so we were basically housebound.

And that's still much much better than my newborn baby getting whooping cough. Because I had the immune system to fight it off. My baby might not have done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now