Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First time scan questions

(17 Posts)
KarenLF Fri 22-Jul-16 13:39:15

I have my first scan on Wednesday (I'm so excited I can hardly sleep!) but Aberdeen are quite bad in that I haven't actually recieved my letter informing me - the midwife phoned and found out for me.
So because I never got the letter I don't know if I have to do or bring anything specific? I read somewhere that you should drink a pint of water an hour before so your baby will be seen better but I'm not sure if that's real. Can anyone give me any info on anything I should do or take in preparation? Thanks smile

PeterRabbitt Fri 22-Jul-16 13:40:27

They do ask you to have a fairly full bladder but apart from that just your notes from your midwife so far. Congratulations smile

phoolani Fri 22-Jul-16 13:41:34

From (vague) memory, the water thing is right, but I'm sure someone who can actually help you will be along in a minute!

MyKingdomForBrie Fri 22-Jul-16 13:44:55

Yep have a full bladder as it's easier to see the baby. Take your hospital notes, wear trousers not a dress would be my only other recommendation! That's it really.

Luckystar1 Fri 22-Jul-16 13:49:15

Err I'm going to confuse matters but my hospital tells you not to drink before the scan.

Added to this, I have a retroverted uterus, so as I understand a 'full' bladder can actually make it more difficult to see...

Probably best to ring your hospital to check!

April241 Fri 22-Jul-16 13:54:40

Yep here it's full bladder, take your notes and definitely wear trousers or leggings as suggested before.

Probably best to go with a full bladder and if it's not required they'll tell you to go pee before they scan smile

Enjoy!!!

Boomies Fri 22-Jul-16 14:10:41

Yep a reasonably full bladder (harder than it sounds!) and as someone who also has a retroverted uterus they still tried the external trans abdominal scan (and made me drink more and walk around and retried trans abdominal) before they ask me to empty you bladder and did an internal scan. I hope all goes well!

KarenLF Fri 22-Jul-16 15:51:16

Okay great, thanks all for your help!! It's all so exciting!! smile

Mummyme87 Fri 22-Jul-16 16:05:40

My hospital say not to fill your bladder..

Happygojo86 Fri 22-Jul-16 16:13:02

I'd go with a full bladder, it's a lot quicker to empty it if you find it necessary than it is to fill it up! That said they could see my last baby clearer when I had an empty bladder....

frikadela01 Fri 22-Jul-16 16:18:37

When in doubt go with a full bladder... Easier to empty a full bladder than fill an empty one up.

Its not just about getting a clearer picture, my baby loved chiling right in my pelvis and my fuller bladder pushed him into a better position for measuring apparently.

TheFandango Fri 22-Jul-16 16:19:50

No full bladder needed at my local hospital!

Becciilouisex3 Fri 22-Jul-16 16:50:07

Most hospitals ask for a full bladder for 12 week scans but not for 20 week scans for some reason, I assume it's to do with baby's size and position being lower in early pregnancy.

I'd go with a full bladder anyway, despite how uncomfortable it is! You can always go to the toilet and empty it if need be but you won't be able to fill it up quite as quickly!

Good luck!! flowers

newroundhere Fri 22-Jul-16 16:57:18

Try not to have your bladder toofull like I did - I was so desperate for the loo that I had to go right before the scan (otherwise there would have been an embarrassing accident....) so they sent me away for half an hour to fill it up again blush

Hope it goes well OP!

thecatsarecrazy Fri 22-Jul-16 17:06:28

Mine says be there 30 minutes before appointment and with a full bladder

DrWhy Fri 22-Jul-16 17:15:47

Aberdeen ask for a full bladder! Don't go totally mad though.
Take your maternity notes, as well as the sonographer needing them you'll have to wave them at the chap on the gate to the car park to get in, Allow more time than you possibly think reasonable for parking. It's taken me up to 40 minutes on a bad day!
Sorry to hear that your midwife care so far has been lacking, I got a booking in appointment at 8 weeks and had the letter through in good time. After the first one you book the next as you leave so all being well no further letters anyway.

possum18 Fri 22-Jul-16 17:18:15

Go with the full bladder and if it's a problem you can always wee when you get there, where as if you go with an empty one it'll take a while for it to be as full as needed.
I always had to have a full bladder at my scans (had 12 scans with twin pregnancy) and sometimes they'd get me to go and half empty it to see if they could make babies move. So exciting for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now