Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

36 weeks agonizing back & SPD pain

(10 Posts)
DesignedForLife Thu 21-Jul-16 18:27:56

I'm in so much pain by the end of the day (running after 2 year old), nothing I'm doing seems to make any difference. I've seen NHS physio for the SPD, and they didn't do much - one session and I'm discharged. They also said they wouldn't treat the back pain until after I've given birth.

Is there anything else I can do? Is there any point in me going to the doctors? Any exercises?

GipsyDanger Thu 21-Jul-16 18:36:14

flowers I feel for you. I had this as well. For sleeping at night, I got a memory foam topper, but that was still go hard for my hips, I ended up sleeping on top of my duvet with a pillow between my legs. Try and not walk too much either

FruitCider Thu 21-Jul-16 18:37:04

If it's lower back pain it is likely to be linked to your SPD. How severe is it? I was induced at 38 weeks - but then I was on crutches at 20 weeks and in a wheelchair at 28 weeks! Have you got anyone that can help look after your 2 year old? The more you move around the worse it will feel unfortunately X

GipsyDanger Thu 21-Jul-16 18:37:22

And back rubs, lots of back rubs

fruityb Thu 21-Jul-16 19:19:04

Warm baths and spending some time on hands and knees has helped me. Pillow between knees has helped later on for me. Mine were only hurting at night but I've now developed a painful waddle and just can't get around - feel like I need oiling!

I don't have any advice as such other than a gym ball has helped me if I just lay over it or hug it. Back rubs have helped as well as deep freeze gel - which you can use in pregnancy as opposed to deep heat. It actually feels quite nice!

DesignedForLife Thu 21-Jul-16 19:26:41

It's lower back, but off to one side - I've had pain there in the past. Back rubs sound good but DH isn't very into them, he always stops way too early.

Fruity - how do you lie over a gym ball??

FruitCider Thu 21-Jul-16 20:13:30

I found a gym ball made everything worse. It sounds like one of the joints is stuck in your pelvis at the back. Google the pelvic partnership and give them a ring - they will be able to advise. Can you afford a couple of private Physio sessions?

TheFairyCaravan Thu 21-Jul-16 20:35:30

Your best bet would be to see an osteopath or chiropractor. If you contact the pelvic partnership they might be able to put in contact with one in your area.

I really recommend you trying acupuncture for pain relief. I've had SPD had for 20 years now. It goes the whole way round my pelvic ring, I have accunpuncture every 2 weeks for pain relief. It's really helpful.

fruityb Thu 21-Jul-16 20:51:27

I just kneel next to it and drape myself over it, with bump sort of touching it but not squished by it. It just helps stretch my back and hips out.

MetalMidget Thu 21-Jul-16 21:10:27

Is there any chance you could be referred to a better physio? I was diagnosed with PGP around a month go - I had general constant aching, and occasional horrendous shooting pains in my lower back and left leg. It was agony getting in and out of the car, or driving/being driven around corners and roundabouts, turning over at night, getting up off the sofa... you get the idea.

I was referred to a physio, and she was brilliant - she did a thorough assessment, worked the joints (I hadn't much movement in the left hip joint, and the front of my pelvis was unstable), and gave me exercises. Within a few days, the shooting pains had gone. I had a follow up appointment - I said that as didn't need to see her again for the time being, and she said that if I had any more problems I could book further appointments with her.

I was given a lot of useful advice (I still have a plastic bag on my car seat to make rotating in and out of the car easier!) too. Sounds like you've just had an iffy physio?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now