Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dropping insulin requirements at end of pregnancy - placenta failing?

(6 Posts)
GruffaloPants Thu 21-Jul-16 07:53:26

I'm type 1 diabetic and 35+5 with my second. Am meant to be getting induced at 37 weeks (baby is on the big side despite good blood glucose control throughout confused).

Had my clinic review yesterday and the diabetes consultant was understandably concerned that my insulin requirements may be dropping. I'd had lots of hypos, particularly on Tuesday, but we couldn't discount the very hot weather being a factor. I'd just come from monitoring where the baby's heartbeat and movements were fine. Still feel frequent movements.

I've got monitoring again today and tomorrow and have to cut my background insulin from 23 twice a day to 20. (It's 12 when not pregnant).

I did so last night and ate a Jaffa cake, so it was actually disappointed to have a blood sugar of 5.6 when I woke up! I was expecting to be high! I also estimated low on my insulin requirements yesterday and still had great results rather than any highs...

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar and how it turned out. Or just general words of encouragement. I don't want to worry DP and my family unduly yet, but I am worried.

AveEldon Thu 21-Jul-16 08:20:06

How is your blood pressure?
Failing insulin requirements were also linked to pre eclampsia in a small study

GruffaloPants Thu 21-Jul-16 09:22:31

Thanks, I'll ask them but I was pretty thoroughly examined yesterday so I imagine if blood pressure was up or there was protein in my urine they would have said.

GruffaloPants Thu 21-Jul-16 10:31:27

Blood pressure etc is fine so no concerns around preeclampsia, fortunately.

earthmoon Mon 25-Jul-16 10:58:28

How is your after breakfast reading? Have you reduced your carbs ratios? I been told for most ladies it's moring carb ratio that get effect most with placenta failure. But that may be in relation to myself & average type 1.
Don't forget the heat messes up sugar for most diabetic pregnant or not. I'm 28weeks now and this past week have had lots of hypo and almost hypo. Have your hospital offered steroid injections in case it becomes to unclear the real reason for your low sugar and they decide to deliver you early?

Sorry for late reply, I hope you are doing well.

CaroleService Mon 25-Jul-16 11:02:26

I had gestational diabetes and noticed the same effect towards the end. No-one showed any concern during my (frequent) check-ups (in US). My placenta did fail.

I was very lucky - I was in hospital for a check and on a monitor when the baby's heartbeat slowed and then stopped, and had had an emergency cs within minutes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now