Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Constipation

(11 Posts)
AcademicNerd Wed 20-Jul-16 22:07:22

I figure this is the place where a TMI warning isn't necessary.

So I've very early on in a pregnancy. So far I've had an easy ride with symptoms, with one exception. It's the third time in a couple weeks that I've been constipated.

I'm drinking lots of fluids (cause it's hot) and cutting down on tea/coffee (I'm going to bloody miss caffeine over the next few months), but not been exercising as much as I used to (too hot).

I don't want to use laxatives if I can avoid it, so what other things can I do to make myself go? Haribo Sugar Free Gummy Bears have almost mythical status in running circles for being notorious poop inducers, but I can't find any in the shops.

Should I be an old lady and go for some prunes?

Barefootcontessa84 Wed 20-Jul-16 23:08:45

Watching with interest as currently suffering similarly...!

skatesection Wed 20-Jul-16 23:14:26

I got into Weetabix in a big way plus all the fruit I could find. Going for a walk helps as well because gravity.

CaitAgusMadra Wed 20-Jul-16 23:15:05

Sympathies - I suffered really badly in both pregnancies and it's horrible.

I found adding linseed to my morning cereal really helped. I also upped my fruit and veg intake generally and steered clear of refined carbs. Fruits like pineapple & kiwis are great as are dried apricots & prunes. Prune juice also works well - I used to drink it like a shot as hate the taste.

Depending on how badly bunged up you are you may need to take a laxative to get things moving. Lactulose (Duphalac) and Movicol are safe in pregnancy as are glycerin suppositories if things get really bad.

Becciilouisex3 Wed 20-Jul-16 23:57:41

Prune juice and cranberry juice worked wonders for me!

user1467983757 Thu 21-Jul-16 01:18:56

A bowl of all bran. The right old fashioned stick type lol. It works very very well. I chop bit fruit in make it bit nicer.

AcademicNerd Thu 21-Jul-16 12:00:18

Thanks all.

I had some movement this morning, so yay. But I think I do need to start having all bran and prunes for breakfast as a preventative!

Started feeling nauseous today, so that's a new symptom. I've been joking with my partner that it's not a real pregnancy til I puke.

isthatpoisontoo Thu 21-Jul-16 12:07:52

Hmm, I've never been convinced by the bran idea. If you can't go, it just creates more, um, bulk, so makes the situation even worse.

I was constipated from early pregnancy, I'm 31 weeks now. Like you, I wanted to avoid laxatives. My advice is not to approach it like I did, which was (TMI) not to go to the doctor about it until there was blood spatter in the toilet bowl. Lactulose is safe in pregnancy, and way more effective than All Bran. Preventative prunes are good, too!

Ashpan26 Thu 21-Jul-16 23:22:21

I tried prune juice it's the worst tasting thing ever lol what act silly helps me go is avocado! I slice it onto toast or have it which a poached egg aswell

Bluebird126 Fri 22-Jul-16 17:36:47

I buy 3 small tins of prunes a week, in syrup I think and eat 6 or 7 every morning without fail. Actually taste nice! No problems so far.....

Mamatallica Sat 23-Jul-16 22:37:12

I managed the first 3 months of constant constipation by eating endless fibre and drinking revolting prune juice (the more you drink it, the less effective it seems hmm) but after that I begged my consultant to give me something. Have spent the last 5+ months taking lactulose, not ideal but seems to do the trick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now