Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Vaccinations

(17 Posts)
Chocoholicmonster Wed 20-Jul-16 17:45:13

I'm currently 25 weeks pregnant with my first. Horrendously needle phobic. Decided to opt in for the whooping cough vaccination despite my phobia of needles. I was just wondering, those of you who have had it - is there many side effects / is it painful? Your replies won't change my mind about having it as I think it's an important one to have but would like to feel prepared before having it. Thank you.

lilydaisyrose Wed 20-Jul-16 17:49:35

I had mine at 19w on Friday (in Scotland so advised to have anytime after 16w). Tiny scratch (barely felt it as it goes into the muscle not the vein), sore arm with dull ache for about 48 hours (mine was in left arm so tricky to sleep on left side) but no fever or any other side effects. Good luck!

PotteringAlong Wed 20-Jul-16 17:55:39

I've had it twice with no ill effects whatsoever

ChatterNatterer Wed 20-Jul-16 17:59:03

Had mine last week. Didn't hurt to have it, slight tenderness around it and lying on it a tad sore (but didn't stop me lying on it) for a few days after - wouldn't put me off doing it again - much less drama than having bloods taken smile

Chocoholicmonster Wed 20-Jul-16 18:07:08

Thank you all for your replies. Someone I know recently had it, knowing how I am with injections & went on to tell me it's the worst injection I'll ever have & how awful her arm felt for about a week after. So your replies have eased my mind smile

user1463652193 Wed 20-Jul-16 18:24:31

Had mine on Monday, injection itself was fine (pain for a second) and then muscle pain in my arm for a day or so. Totally fine now. Nothing to worry about at all!

Lou2711 Wed 20-Jul-16 18:36:18

Had mine back in May and literally had no problems, I think the area may have been a little sore but not enough to remember!! Good luck, it is over in seconds!

GipsyDanger Wed 20-Jul-16 18:37:27

I was a human pin cushion during labour... I'd see someone about that phobia now

spacefrog35 Wed 20-Jul-16 18:39:15

As others have said, the injection was fine but very, very slightly tender the day after. Nothing more than a little bruise might feel if you lay on it. Good luck chocolate

TheCrumpettyTree Wed 20-Jul-16 19:46:50

It was very quick didn't feel it. Had a bit of a bruised arm the next day.

Chocoholicmonster Wed 20-Jul-16 22:30:09

Thanks all smile Not dreading it quite so much now!

quitecrunchy Wed 20-Jul-16 23:04:22

Yeah I expected it to be much worse than it was. Just a little bit of an achey arm the next day, the injection itself was no worse than any other. Good on you for biting the bullet!

QueenEnid Wed 20-Jul-16 23:25:02

I had it yesterday and didn't feel it or any soreness after. I'm also v needle phobic
You'll be fine op. Mind over matter xx

sycamore54321 Thu 21-Jul-16 02:07:38

Good for you on making this important choice and facing your fears. My memory of the injection itself is like others a very brief (literally micro-second) sharp. scratch or pinch feeling. If you concentrate on breathing deeply and also wiggling your toes wildly at the same time, you will be through it in no time. You could also listen to a song on an iPod headphones or something if distraction works for you, but honestly it will be over in seconds.

Vaccines in general can be administered particularly quickly because unlike, say some medications or for blood tests, they are not injected into a vein which requires real precision, but into either the muscle or the fat, so a much larger surface and much less precision needed.

As a general rule and particularly in hot summer weather, I feel injections less if I am well hydrated so drink plenty of water and maybe have a bar or something to hand in case you phobia leaves you feeling a bit off afterwards. But no need for any particular special preparations.

For after effects, I recall the evening after I had that vaccine, my arm muscle felt a bit stiff and sore if I raised it up high, a distant dull ache as if I had been bruised or punched. I don't have needle phobia but it definitely wasn't the sort of pain I imagine a needle phobic would fear, just a bit of a dull bruise-like ache, only in certain movements. It was gone by morning.

Seriously, congratulations on doing this important thing for your baby despite your fears. Maybe this will be the moment that cures your phobia - wouldn't that be a nice story to tell your child when he or she is older?

DamsonGinIsMyThing Thu 21-Jul-16 02:15:45

I used to give these injections OP, any nurse worth their salt will check you're ok with injections ie if you want a 3-2-1 or to lie down.
I've not had this one personally, but have had many immunisations, usually a slightly tender arm is to be expected for a couple of days and the injection itself is over in a second or two, it feels like a small scratch.
Personally I like a 3-2-1 (I'm not great with injections) and wiggle the fuck out of my toes so I have something else to concentrate on.
The fact that you have resolutely decided to face your fears, legitimate fears, in order to better your unborn child health made me smile a genuine smile.

frikadela01 Thu 21-Jul-16 02:16:15

My appointment for my whooping cough vaccine was the fastest medical appointment I ever had. I literally sat down, nurse asked me if I understood what the injection was for and injected into my left arm. I didn't even feel it go in. I was in the room for less than a minute. No sore arm afterwards either.
Good for you for having it despite your fear, it really isn't bad at all.

Liz09 Thu 21-Jul-16 03:05:51

I used to be very needle-phobic too (I say "used to" because I used to blatantly refuse to get any kind of vaccination/blood test etc. but I will now do it if I need to). It didn't hurt particularly badly, and I have no side effects at all.

If you are still nervous, ask to lie down for it. They will be happy to oblige.

Also, engage in constant conversation with them while they are doing it. They, again, will be happy to oblige. I need someone to be talking to me the entire time, because it takes my mind off of it. It truly does work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now