Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hiding pregnancy at hen do - any tips?

(43 Posts)
ps2304 Wed 20-Jul-16 14:05:31

I am going on one of my best friends hen do on Friday. We have hired a big country house for the weekend, lots of games, food and drink organised!
I will be exactly 6 weeks onfriday, I'm not ready for anyone to know yet. There will be about 12 close friends of mine there. How on earth do I get out of drinking games etc without it being obvious. The made of honour is 20 weeks pregnant, I don't know her very well but I am considering asking her to help me hide the fact I'm not drinking, I.e helping her organise the games rather than taking part? I'm getting worried as the last thing I want is for people to realise and I take the attention off the bride to be!

Help!!!

summerskittles91 Wed 20-Jul-16 14:06:52

Say you have an infection and are taking antibiotics so cannot drink?

TheBitterBoy Wed 20-Jul-16 14:10:22

Don't say that! It's a dead giveaway. In the past I made sure I was drinking 'gin' and tonic, and then only had the tonic. If you are in charge of making your own drinks, as its a house party, this should be relatively straightforward.

ps2304 Wed 20-Jul-16 14:10:51

I thought about this but 3 of my friends going are doctors/dentists so I thought they would be not easily fooled!!

PotteringAlong Wed 20-Jul-16 14:11:54

Just tell them. It will be a lot less painful and they will have all guessed by the end of a sober hen weekend anyway.

2nds Wed 20-Jul-16 14:12:12

If you drive you could offer to give someone a lift there and back home again, so u driving is probably the best excuse.

ps2304 Wed 20-Jul-16 14:12:50

We haven't told anyone other than parents so I'm really not ready to tell everyone yet. I'm only 6 weeks on Friday!

ps2304 Wed 20-Jul-16 14:13:28

2nds if it was just the one night I would definately have done the driving thing but it's a weekend away!

2nds Wed 20-Jul-16 14:13:41

BTW as for not drinking on the first night, just say you don't like driving with a hangover.

BitchPeas Wed 20-Jul-16 14:15:10

Don't draw attention to it. Don't say anything. If you make your own drinks make sure they are non alcoholic, if other people make you drinks just discreetly throw it away, or pretend to sip it.

WordGetsAround Wed 20-Jul-16 14:15:44

You might not be ready in an ide world but I don't think there is any way you can hide it from so many good friends for such a long time. An evening out is hard enough. I'd tell them in a very low key way at the beginning and say it's early days so not taking anything for granted, and you'll have a much better weekend for it!

2nds Wed 20-Jul-16 14:16:24

You are doing a month off alcohol as a health kick?

snorepatrol Wed 20-Jul-16 14:17:13

I had a similar situation I just kept getting my own drinks.
I had a coke I said it was vodka and coke if I had wine I had some pink lemonade hidden in my suitcase and kept saying it was rose'

Make sure your glass is always full so no one offers you a drink and keep topping up on the sly grin

As long as you don't sit with an empty glass you should be ok 😃

If there are any drinking games ask the Maid of honour to pick drinks that you can easily fake the colour of

Congratulations

2nds Wed 20-Jul-16 14:18:10

I wouldn't tell them, next thing it might be all over Facebook and if you haven't told other people that might cause an issue.

Batteriesallgone Wed 20-Jul-16 14:20:23

Tell them you're trying for a baby so don't want to drink just in case?

Or just have a permanently full drink.

BendydickCuminsnatch Wed 20-Jul-16 14:20:27

I had the exact same thing. Spa, where I couldn't take part in most things (could have really but paranoid FTM!) and lots of drinking games. Luckily I'm not known as a big drinker so I just refused to drink for the games grin. It was the extreme tiredness that gave me away, but only one person guessed and was decent enough to not mention it until it was common knowledge.

Scarydinosaurs Wed 20-Jul-16 14:20:29

In all honesty, I would just tell my friends.

I think trying to not drink when people are going to be inevitably making your drinks at a house party will end up getting messy and awkward- especially as you have no driving excuse to get you out of it! Tell the bride first, and then tell the others when you get there.

Congratulations!

Ifailed Wed 20-Jul-16 14:21:43

tell then you are a recovering alcoholic . When you are ready to announce your pregnancy, explain.

Tootsiepops Wed 20-Jul-16 14:22:18

You cannot drink when taking the antibiotic metronidazole - for most other antibiotics, you can but it just reduces effectiveness. Drinking with metronidazole could put you in hospital. But, embarrassingly, it's used to treat vaginal infections grin If your friends are doctors then I doubt they would question you further.

Or, you can fake it. People are much, much less observant than you think and will not notice if you are switching your drinks out. I did it with my best friend of 30 years who probably knows me better than just about everyone on this earth, and she had no idea.

plimsolls Wed 20-Jul-16 14:22:42

Don't tell them! I don't think there is any excuse you could give that wouldn't alert people, particularly at a hen weekend.

I managed to keep my non-drinking private all through Christmas and New Year, (very newly pregnant, didn't want to tell people) I just pretended I was drinking. People don't really notice. Accept glasses of prosecco/champagne as they are offered and pretend to sip a bit, but then wander off and leave them in places (gets much easier once everyone else is drunk too as everyone gets careless with their drinks). Drink coke or tonic water or lemonade and pretend its got a spirit in it. Busy yourself with making drinks for yourself and other people: they'll be so pleased to be offered drinks they won't pay much attention to you!

plimsolls Wed 20-Jul-16 14:24:09

If people are drinking out of cans, use an empty can that you fill with something else.

MyKingdomForBrie Wed 20-Jul-16 14:24:28

Take the drinks offered and discreetly replace with non-alcoholic. Tell them you're ttc so won't be drinking heavily anyway - an excuse not to neck shots etc.

But also accept that they will probably work it out.

SellFridges Wed 20-Jul-16 14:27:00

Honestly? They will all guess, especially if they're close friends. This has happened several times in my friendship group - nobody would ask you but we'd all point it out to each other.

On that basis, I'd tell them.

chunkymum1 Wed 20-Jul-16 14:27:24

I'd try to just not mention it and make your own drinks etc as PPs have suggested, then if it is mentioned say you're off alcohol for health reasons/had a really bad hangover not long ago so put off it.

As a word of caution though, you may want to prepare yourself for having to tell them anyhow. When I was very newly pregnant with DC1 I went on a 3 day conference where I was required to eat all meals with the other attendees and there was a free bar every evening plus wine with dinner. I tried my hardest to just discretely avoid alcohol but there were a couple of women that I knew already (so claiming to just be lifelong tea total was not possible) who noticed and really pushed it (insisting that they would pour wine for me, insisting that I should drink up/drink a toast etc, couldn't I just let my hair down for one night etc). One of them eventually asked straight out if I was pregnant (think that may have been something to do with me not eating some of the starters that included off limits foods too). Hopefully your friends will have a little more tact and if they guess your news will keep their thoughts to themselves.

fabulous01 Wed 20-Jul-16 14:28:22

Do as people have suggested but most girls will work it out. But most will also understand and not say anything. I always guessed with one girl as she started eating lunch and one guessed with me as I baked! But most girls appreciate it is early days and fact that it is hen weekend so won't make a deal of it.
But I would have a glass always full and with games imply you have a sore back. Easy to fake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now