Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Choice to deliver placenta

(22 Posts)
mellmumma Tue 19-Jul-16 23:14:51


Show of hands of which you decided on... Managed or natural.. And why? Were there any repurcussions?

It's my due date today and I am still undecided! I'm aiming for drug free hyno water birth but can't decide on whether to take the injection for placenta delivery.....

orangebird69 Tue 19-Jul-16 23:18:50

After my rather exhausting labour, my midwife asked me if I'd like the injection or to deliver the placenta myself. I replied something like 'I'm fucked if I'm pushing anything else out of myself today. Injection please'. You can decide there and then. Some births go to plan. Many don't. It's not something you have to firm up now.

99percentchocolate Tue 19-Jul-16 23:20:21

First time round I had the injection, second time was natural.
Reasons being that at the first hospital everybody got it as standard. At the second hospital it started coming away naturally very quickly, so whilst they did do the injection they recommended that if it could come away naturally then you should let it.
It didn't make any difference either way for me except that I had to push it out second time and didn't the first (that could have been the pethidine making it feel like I didn't push though!)
If I were you I'd say you are open to injection but will wait to see what happens at the time.

SortAllTheThings Tue 19-Jul-16 23:20:50

Assisted means it's (usually) out and done with. No drugs mean you'll have to deal with the post birth pains for a lot longer. Does mean your uterus will contract dish a lot faster, but the negative is that you probably won't be able to hold your baby while you're pushing out the placenta. There's positives and negatives for each. I've had an MROP and I held off with the jab with my second, but ended up having it after an hour. All fine.

Tbh, I'd go with the jab.

SortAllTheThings Tue 19-Jul-16 23:21:53

Sorry for autocorrect

DramaAlpaca Tue 19-Jul-16 23:22:39

I had the jab with all three, including my home birth. I just wanted it over & done with.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Tue 19-Jul-16 23:28:20

I had a home birth and asked for delayed cord clamping and natural placenta delivery. (I didn't do a 'birth plan' as I didn't want to jinx it fucking ridiculous so just told MW what I wanted as necessary.)
Both went perfectly and I examined the placenta with "more interest than most midwives" (said my MW!)
We then planted it in the garden under a new tree which shares one of DDs names <hippie emoticon>

My reasoning was I had read it is beneficial to the baby to get the last of the 'good stuff' before they're snipped, and also I'm a bit of a believer in not putting unnecessary chemicals into my body (only my body, totally don't give a toss about other people's choices!) especially as I was hoping to BF and wanted all my natural hormones doing their thing.
Again, just my own little way. I was very lucky and might have had a very different experience another time.

Good luck OP

MouldyPeach Tue 19-Jul-16 23:32:39

I've had natural placenta delivery three times and to push it out didn't hurt at all. A solid baby has just been through so the wibbly wobbly placenta just kinda strolled out on its own grin

That being said though, you kind of have to prepare to not make the decision until the time, even if it's in your birth plan it's not written in stone. Good luck!

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Tue 19-Jul-16 23:32:44

No drugs mean you'll have to deal with the post birth pains for a lot longer. Does mean your uterus will contract dish a lot faster, but the negative is that you probably won't be able to hold your baby while you're pushing out the placenta. There's positives and negatives for each.

Yes my uterus apparently contracted very quickly and was luckily in my pre pregnancy jeans by day 4 I think.
I didn't feel any pain delivering it, the baby was the big bit.
DH had a cuddle with DD while I squatted over a bucket! Then I got her back to myself again. grin

nonicknameseemsavailable Tue 19-Jul-16 23:34:38

to be honest by the time it got to that stage I couldn't have cared less. I was shattered after 3 days, had already not done anything quite how I would have hoped and just wanted it done so I could be stitched and relax a bit with my baby.

I would honestly say just see how you feel at the time.

LBOCS2 Tue 19-Jul-16 23:36:23

I had delayed cord clamping, and then after that I had the injection to deliver the placenta. I didn't really see the advantage of not having it once the baby had all the goodness from the cord blood.

user1467618369 Wed 20-Jul-16 02:23:29

I didn't even know this was a thing blush I'm overdue by four days now, and honestly how I'm planning to birth the placenta is the furthest thing from my mind!

Dixiechick17 Wed 20-Jul-16 12:00:21

I had a straightforward birth, but I just wanted to get the rest over with and focus on my DD so when they asked me I asked for the injection.

Dixiechick17 Wed 20-Jul-16 12:01:51

Oh and I had delayed cord clamping too

Dachshund Wed 20-Jul-16 12:02:48

I wanted to do delayed cord clamping but I ended up having intervention and had lost a bit too much blood etc so ended up with injection. At that point I couldn't have given 2 shiny shits about it!

KateTheShrew Wed 20-Jul-16 17:08:35

I had a natural third stage last time, and it was fine -- didn't hurt and didn't really have to 'push' the placenta out, just like one fairly weak contraction and it came away on its own. It did take a while for it to come away, though, and the midwives had the injection ready and were definitely clock-watching, so even if you opt for a natural placenta delivery they won't let you wait around forever and will give you the injection after a certain point.

I can't fully remember why I chose natural third stage now. I think I'd had an unexpectedly quick delivery (didn't get to hospital until I was 9cm dilated so had only been there about an hour when DS was born), so I wasn't exhausted and just thought I could afford to wait around and see what happened. If they'd said I needed the injection, though, I definitely would have accepted it with no problem.

Winegumaddict Wed 20-Jul-16 19:50:51

I was going to have a natural 3rd stage with delayed cord clamping. In the end I had a very bad tear so they delayed the cord cutting but then I had the injection to try and stop the bleeding. This time around I'll hopefully delay the cord clamping again but have the injection.

Happygojo86 Wed 20-Jul-16 20:53:56

I had delayed cord clamping and then the injection. I did attempt natural but the MW drained the birthing pool and I was sat soaking wet in an empty bath slippery with amniotic fluid trying to keep hold of a slippery newborn. I just lost it and wanted it out so I could get out of the pool. Next time I hope to do delayed cord clamping, if I can ask to keep the pool full I might attempt natural but mostly I will just go with the flow so to speak!

Quodlibet Thu 21-Jul-16 01:38:55

I discussed it with my
Midwife at the beginning of labour; she explained the medical reasons why it can sometimes be advisable to have the jab (these escape me now even though I gave birth yesterday but seemed very reasonable.) We left it that if be happy to consider either option depending on the circumstance, and in the event she gave me the jab. By that stage I was quite happy not to hang around for it.

sycamore54321 Thu 21-Jul-16 01:49:32

Definitely injection in my opinion. Reduces risk of PPH, allows birth to be over with so any tears or cuts can be dealt with as quickly as possible etc. No possible side effects for the baby, minimal risk of side effects to you and major benefit of significantly reducing PPH which is a pretty terrifying complication if you are unfortunate enough to experience it. You should discuss the options with your doctor or midwife. In certain circumstances, it is medically indicated to have the injection, eg if you are already bleeding heavily, so even if you decide against it in the normal course of things, be aware that you might be asked in an emergency situation to very rapidly revisit that decision (and you'd be highly foolish to say no). Similarly but less panicky, if a long time elapses with no sign of the placenta, then you should also reconsider on the advice of our medical team.

But I really can't see any advantage to not having it right away so that is what I did and I have no regrets. The hormone is idenical to the hormone your body is producing to cause contractions anyway, just a concentrated dose at the right time to avoid some risks.

SleepFreeZone Thu 21-Jul-16 09:48:59

Do you know I have no idea if I had assisted delivery re. the placenta or not! Both were VBAC, the second much more straight forward than the first. I can remember pushing both out like s second baby so I assume it was natural but it happened soon after the birth and no one suggested I take a look at it!!

mellmumma Thu 21-Jul-16 10:57:32

Thanks everyone, good to know it isn't really something I have to decide on until we reach that point.... See how I feel/ how labour has gone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now