Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

16 week midwife appointment. What to expect?

(14 Posts)
Tinklypoo Tue 19-Jul-16 10:32:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FuzzyOwl Tue 19-Jul-16 10:33:22

Probably get your blood test results, have your blood pressure taken and (depending on the trust) your midwife might listen to the heartbeat. Don't forget to take a urine sample as well.

moosechops Tue 19-Jul-16 10:35:44

Go through your screening results if you were screened, measure your belly, take your blood pressure. You'll get your free prescription application form too. (woo!) and book you in for your next appointment. Im in England.

Pretty sure thats it?

moosechops Tue 19-Jul-16 10:36:47

oh yeah they always want your wee. My midwife didn't listen for the heartbeat but this is my second child and she did with my first at 16 weeks.

Lj8893 Tue 19-Jul-16 10:40:46

They won't measure your bump at 16 weeks, it's too early.

Blood pressure
Go through blood results from booking
Urine test
Possibly listen to fetal heart
Chat and see how your doing

Lj8893 Tue 19-Jul-16 10:41:36

Yes you may get your free prescription form if you haven't already had it:

FuzzyOwl Tue 19-Jul-16 10:48:06

Does this chart help?

Tinklypoo Tue 19-Jul-16 10:52:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

moosechops Tue 19-Jul-16 11:02:40

Lj8893 - I had my 16 week appointment last week and they measured me?

Lj8893 Tue 19-Jul-16 11:29:08

That's quite unusual for a MW to measure at 16 weeks and certainly not routine or in NICE guidelines. I don't really know what the point of measuring at 16 weeks would be either, for some women (1st pregnancys especially) thier uterus will barely be out of thier pelvis at 16 weeks.

ohidoliketobe Tue 19-Jul-16 11:37:24

Don't measure until 28 weeks in my trust either.
Looking at my notes, at 16 wk I had the following: urine sample tested, BP taken, heartbeat checked with doppler (that will vary depending on trust), prescription paperwork given, quick discussion on childbirth options (2nd baby so already knew options e.g. location and idea about pain relief variances between delivery suite in hospital and the midwife unit), review of a hospital submission (hyperemesis), quick chat about my general well being, was my anomaly scan booked, any other questions? No. See you at 24 weeks.

FuzzyOwl Tue 19-Jul-16 11:41:10

I've not been measured at any of my 16 week appointments either. On each occasion I had a more or less flat stomach anyway.

moosechops Tue 19-Jul-16 11:44:29

Maybe its cause i'm massive (not fat just massively showing) - its my second child... possible midwife brain fart and she was suppose to check the heartbeat instead?

Thinking about it I don't think she measured me so early with my first either. I do look about 28 weeks pregnant though.

Lj8893 Tue 19-Jul-16 11:46:32

I think she did it by accident, brain fart like you say. There's no rhyme or reason why a midwife would measure at 16 weeks, there's nothing to gain from it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now