Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any experience of pregnancy and Citalopram?

(8 Posts)
Batmam Mon 18-Jul-16 13:54:15

Just found out that I am pg (3rd baby) thrilled as I am low fertlity and had ivf for our first. We weren't actively trying but no contraception either, just thought that if it did happen it would be a happy miracle...problem is I'm on Citalopram and my doctor said that I shouldn't get pregnant while on it. I had the go ahead from him to come down from 40 to 20mg two months ago (anxiety much, much better), with the view of cutting down to 10mg before coming off completely (to try for a baby)

I can't go to GP until end of the week. Should I stop taking them completely now or take 10mg? I know the baby is still only cells but I'm still scared of harming it after what the doc said. Any experiences much appreciated

Lizziedoll Mon 18-Jul-16 17:21:33

Hi there I'm on Citalopram 20mg and it is safe to take during pregnancy, there is a very small risk of heart defect. I have bad anxiety so doctor told me benefits outweigh risks and that I'm fine taking it. I'm here if you have any question or would like support.
Lizzie

Memyselfandthatotherperson Mon 18-Jul-16 20:24:09

Cold turkey on citalopram is a bad idea.
In my last pg my doc said to slowly step it down. However in my first pg we agreed it would be better for me to keep taking it as is.
It's a balanced risk that you doc should advise you on.
I recall reading the evidence at the time and the statistics weren't that scary.

LilacSpunkMonkey Mon 18-Jul-16 20:27:00

I was on it through my third pregnancy. I had bad PND after my first child, bad AND with my second pregnancy and bad PND again after my second pregnancy. As I was a high risk for AND with my third they monitored me closely and I went onto Citalopram pretty early on and took it until well after giving birth.

No issues here.

Sophia1984 Mon 18-Jul-16 21:01:07

It's starting to really annoy me how many ill-informed and scaremongering health professionals there are out there regarding anti-depressants and pregnancy!

There is some evidence of some tiny increased risks of heart defects and of a condition called persistent pulmonary hypertension (if you take it in the second half of pregnancy). BUT the general advice is that doctors should weigh up the benefits to mum and baby of being mentally healthy and stable vs any small risks of taking anti-depressants. It is so much more important for baby to have a happy and healthy mum. I have never been advised to come off citalopram by GPs, midwives or the psychiatrist I am seeing. They have all emphasised how low-risk it is. I took citalopram until about 20 weeks and am now 37 weeks with a baby who appears on scans at 32 and 36 weeks to be healthy. I did end up coming off it because I suffer from health anxiety/hyperchondria, so I couldn't take the advice that I am now dishing out, and thought I would be less worried if I wasn't on it, but that was totally my decision and not any doctor's.

Batmam Mon 18-Jul-16 21:40:32

Thank you all so so much for your replies, feel so much better now! I will definitively keep taking them for a little while then. Like you say if the benefits outweigh the risks then it's worth it. I was worried about side effects coming off Cit and I have my other children to consider as well.

I'm disappointed with the GP as he made it out to be a really bad thing. If I'd been more informed (I should've done my own research as well, I know) then I would have started trying for a baby months ago. I'm dreading going to see him as I know he'll tell me off! Is there anything other than MN I can quote to him?

Memyselfandthatotherperson Mon 18-Jul-16 21:46:50

NHS story link

Batmam Mon 18-Jul-16 22:03:22

Thanksflowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now