Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Colleague with chickenpox

(7 Posts)
ThePartyArtist Mon 18-Jul-16 13:06:23

My colleague just found out she has chickenpox. She thinks she caught it a few weeks ago (I am unsure how many weeks ago). I had it when I was about 6. Do I need to worry about it now I am pregnant? She is off work but I am thinking about when I was sitting near her before she discovered she had it.

DesignedForLife Mon 18-Jul-16 13:12:56

You should be immune as you've had it before. It's very rare to catch it twice.

Nectarines Mon 18-Jul-16 13:15:57

When I was pregnant, CP went round the school I work at. I called midwife and she arranged a blood test to check for immunity as I wasn't sure whether I'd had it or not. Turned out I was immune!

You should be fine, but call midwife if you're worried.

99percentchocolate Mon 18-Jul-16 13:16:49

Chicken pox has an incubation period of 3 weeks maximum it is only infectious for 2 days before the spots. You should be ok as you've already had it once but give your midwife a call anyway x

ThePartyArtist Mon 18-Jul-16 14:17:50

I haven't yet had my initial midwife appointment - it's booked in for 4 August. Shall I wait til then? Or leave a message for midwife via the GP surgery?

Jeanniejampots80 Mon 18-Jul-16 15:09:51

99percent that is not true at all. It is a commonly spread mistake. People with chicken pox are infectious from 2 days before the rash until all the lesions have crusted over.

" Varicella is highly contagious. A person with varicella is contagious from 1-2 days before rash onset until the lesions have crusted. " from CDC

Saying that OP if you had it a 6 you should be imune

99percentchocolate Mon 18-Jul-16 22:28:27

Thanks for pointing out my mistake Jeannie - I knew that it was longer as DD has been off with chicken pox this week! God knows why I typed that it was only two days! I'm blaming the 10 week old that had me up for the day at 4am.
Hope all is well op flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now