Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Group B Strep - tested positive

(8 Posts)
Luckystar1 Sun 17-Jul-16 19:31:04

I'm 38+2 and have tested +ve for GBS. I have to say I'm very surprised as I already have a DS (20 months) and had a very uncomplicated pregnancy and labour with him that I was hoping to replicate!

My DH spoke to the hospital today who said it shouldn't impact on a waterbirth (which I had with DS).

However I'm confused by advice regarding antibiotics (well not confused as such...). It seems it's suggested that I get the initial dose early in labour.

I'd much prefer to labour at home for as long as possible as childcare is not easily available to us, can I go in and leave again?!

Has anyone gone through this? And is happy to go through their experiences?

Ps. I will OF COURSE do whatever is best for the baby!

DesignedForLife Sun 17-Jul-16 20:45:37

I've been diagnosed too, 36 weeks now. Also had no problems in previous birth.

I've been told that I need two lots of intravenous antibiotics 4 hours apart in labour, or every 4 hours after that. Minimum 2 doses at least 4 hours before birth. If that doesn't work out then baby will have to have 2 doses intravenously directly after birth.

Have to have birth at the hospital, have to stay in for 24 hours or 48 hours depending on which midwife you speak to!

Luckystar1 Sun 17-Jul-16 21:13:38

Oh god! This is all very unexpected. I haven't spoken to my midwife yet (she's useless anyway and not affiliated to my hospital so it'll be a pointless conver...!)

But thank you for that! Will the baby have to be taken away to be given the antibiotics or can it stay with you? I really, really, really don't want the baby out of my sight!!!

MrsMulder Sun 17-Jul-16 21:22:19

I have tested for group b strep and had antibiotics in labour but it progressed very quickly and didn't have time for the second dose. We had to stay in for 24 hours to keep an eye on dd but that was it. She didn't have to have any antibiotics. I think policies differ so you would probably be best talking it through with your midwife

Luckystar1 Sun 17-Jul-16 21:25:20

Thank you! I'm happy to stay in etc, I just hadn't envisaged any of this as I was out 7 hours after DS' birth.

I know I'm being totally overdramatic! I just had (wrongly) assumed everything would be as simple as with DS!

MrsMulder Sun 17-Jul-16 22:34:49

Chances are it will be. The thing with group b strep is that a lot of people carry it and have no problems but those that do it can be serious so they tend to be very cautious and rightly so.
If I were you I would enjoy a night in hospital to recover and let people cook and clean for you! You just need to lay in bed, recover and see to your lovely new addition

Luckystar1 Mon 18-Jul-16 07:00:46

Well that sounds pretty delicious! Although a private room sounds the way forward for that...! I've never stayed in hospital, but I've packed earplugs just in case...!

Mummyme87 Mon 18-Jul-16 08:48:03

It really is hospital dependent. Where I work you would get IV antibiotics when you come in in labour. You would then have them every 4hrs until you give birth. If you didn't get them before birth your baby would just have 24hrs of observations on postnatal ward. I would suggest giving your labour ward or birth centre a call to ask for management in labour if your midwife is not from your hospital

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now