Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

can i take paracetamol when pregnant

(10 Posts)
thecatsarecrazy Sun 17-Jul-16 13:15:42

I'm 11 weeks. I've had a headache since last night and having a rough day. Being sick cant keep anything down. Sleep seems to make it worse. I read an article a few weeks ago about a possible link between autism in boys and taking paracetamol in pregnancy sad now I'm worried about taking anything. This headache is getting bad though and we have to be at a family event later. sad

Peebles1 Sun 17-Jul-16 13:17:18

Yes you can. Take it before your headache gets too bad, or it won't shift it.

Lovelyname Sun 17-Jul-16 13:17:38

Yes you can. I used paracetamol throughout my pregnancy; midwife advised for my migraine

WellErrr Sun 17-Jul-16 13:18:18

Yes you can - but NOT ibuprofen.

BluePitchFork Sun 17-Jul-16 13:20:19

yes you can.
but only if really needed.
inuprofen us also fine during second trimester upon medical advice/prescription.

Peebles1 Sun 17-Jul-16 13:24:08

PS. Just re-read your post though, and you sound generally unwell. Is the being sick just your normal morning sickness, or something new? Do you get migraines and get sick with them? Obviously no point taking paracetamol if it's going to come back up. You might be better resting up and missing the event. D'you think you've picked up a bug or anything? Take care - try and take sips of fluids if you can.

thecatsarecrazy Sun 17-Jul-16 13:30:00

Thank you everyone. I've been suffering from sickness since week 6 but I have some days worse than others. If I'm working I can normally struggle through but for some reason if i have a day off I feel bad. This is the first head ache I've had for a while.

Peebles1 Sun 17-Jul-16 13:42:54

Ok it all sounds like your 'normal' then (you poor thing!). Hopefully you'll keep the paracetamol down and the headache will ease.

Possibly you're worse on your days off because you're 'allowed to be' (quite common) and aren't distracted by work. Which isn't to say your symptoms aren't very real and hard to bear. Hopefully you'll improve soon - nearly at the 12 week mark! flowers

Kstar8 Sun 17-Jul-16 14:54:14

Please don't feel bad about taking paracetamol when you need to! I did and suffered with some horrible headaches in the first and second trimester. When I ended up in hospital with severe pain from fibroids, the hospital were literally trying to get me to take cocodamol and all sorts for the pain! I was told to take the paracetamol regularly for several says to ease the pain.
I realised that the few occasions when I was laying in a dark room with bad headaches were genuine times when a couple of paracetamol would have been fine.

hopeful31yrs Sun 17-Jul-16 21:54:21

Do not take ibuprofen - it's not safe in pregnancy at all. It affects the blood system in the baby and therefore is a no no. Please ask your pharmacist about medications if you need proper advice. Paracetomal is fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now