Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Exercise during pregnancy

(17 Posts)
Cantwaittobeamum Sun 17-Jul-16 09:45:13

Has anyone else found that everything is so much harder during pregnancy? I'm only 6 weeks, but I'm even getting breathless climbing the stairs! I've been going to the gym for 2 years so I'd got myself into a pretty good routine and fitness level, but since I became pregnant it's so hard! My legs just ache, I get breathless and now I've got to combine that with sickness.

Can anyone empathise with me?

HobnobDunker Sun 17-Jul-16 10:12:59

Yes! I'm exactly the same, it's so frustrating. I was also relatively fit before pregnancy and had the best intentions of carrying on with exercise but now I can't even do a bit of gardening without having to take regular breaks. I'm 28 weeks now but have been like this from the beginning. I walk every day on my commute and try to go for a walk on my lunch break but haven't managed dedicated exercise for a while sad

Naschkatze Sun 17-Jul-16 10:24:57

Yes! 7+5 here and I've been to the gym once in the last 4 weeks. I usually go 3/4 times a week but by the end of the day at work I'm exhausted and nausea has been worse in the evenings. I'm trying to go for walks instead after dinner because it is helping the bloating and improving my sleep.
I'm really hoping I'll have the energy to get back to the gym soon.

Also confused about what I should and shouldn't be doing. I usually go to a lot of classes (bodypump, body attack etc) but the one time I went I spoke to the instructor and I apparently wasn't allowed to do any abs stuff. I thought I could carry on as normal in first trimester.
Does anyone know the answer to this?
I'm a bit concerned that I will need strength in my stomach muscles in 7 months time! wink

Cantwaittobeamum Sun 17-Jul-16 12:20:42

I was under the impression that you can carry on as you have done in the first trimester, so long as you don't do too much and listen to your body. I've just toned down the resistance, partly because I'm scared of over exerting myself and because I was getting so tired and breathless carrying on as I was. And when I'm not feeling breathless, I feel sick.

Was determined to continue exercising as there are so many benefits, like reducing chances of pre eclampsia etc. Guess we can only do what we feel comfortable doing

ruthiel50 Sun 17-Jul-16 17:29:19

I've scaled down a lot as well. Have been cycling to work and have tried to do Park Run at weekends but take it slowly. It's frustrating though!

Minispringroll Sun 17-Jul-16 17:49:19

I felt dreadful for the first 12 weeks and only went swimming again at the end of the first trimester. I do aqua sessions in the pool and the instructors are happy with that, but told me early on to pace myself and not to overdo it. This was fine for a little while and then I go a terrible cold I simply couldn't get rid of for weeks (had only just gotten rid of my laryngitis), so couldn't go again...Took weeks to get better.
I went swimming today and was ok at the start, but got tired quite quickly. I'm nearly 20 weeks now. Will just keep going and take it slowly. Never been much of a fitness fanatic anyway and I only really enjoy swimming (although not being allowed to go use the hot tub and steam room after annoys me slightly). I'm not much of a group session person...blush

Cantwaittobeamum Sun 17-Jul-16 18:44:20

Yeah it is frustrating, there's so much we can't do! But then again, we wouldn't want to become ill if we got unlucky. I wouldn't anyway. Just frustrating that I'm trying to keep fit but my body doesn't seem to let me.

Things that I was never really bothered about, like Coke, which I only had when I went out for a meal, I suddenly really want! I really want a can of Coke! But I know there's a lot of caffeine in them so I don't want to let myself have one.

kiki22 Sun 17-Jul-16 19:27:05

I'm 34 weeks and still going with 3 classes a week I found the first trimester really hard I think I took week 7&8 off then back the good news is by 10 weeks I started to feel better and was pretty much back to normal until about 25 weeks at that point I started cutting back. I kept up the same pace until 32 weeks now I'm getting much bigger Im finding it harder.

I am really very glad I stuck it out through the hard times I've benefited so much by this point with my first I was huge and sore all the time I'm all bump his time and so much healthier. Regarding an work I think you just need to be careful not to over do it, a good teacher should be able to give you alterations and alternatives once you start to get a bump you will feel yourself where is to far. Take short frequent breaks, twice as much water and don't let yourself get to hot.

Naschkatze Sun 17-Jul-16 19:57:17

Kiki thanks for answering the ab question. I'm very impressed you've kept up with your routine. The instructor said I could plank instead of sit ups and crunches but only plank on my knees (which doesn't do much IMO). I'm sort of regretting telling her and think maybe I should have just carried on and see how I felt!

MrsMKJ Sun 17-Jul-16 21:51:49

Nasch you can do all abs exercises until 12-13 weeks. To be honest I felt fine so kept going although was extra careful and took my time right up until around 19/20 weeks. The first trimester is hard, you fatigue much easier. But stick with it, it gets loads better in the next trimester. I'm 28 weeks now and still going strong with pretty much all my exercise. Although have obviously cut out or adapted certain abs exercises now, and any excuse not to do burpees is welcome!! The one thing I did do when I found out I was pregnant was join a good Pilates class- id really recommend that, or 1:1 sessions if you can. It has helped me loads! Once you're past the first 12 weeks you'll not know yourself! X

KatharinaRosalie Sun 17-Jul-16 21:57:34

I really want a can of Coke! But I know there's a lot of caffeine in them so I don't want to let myself have one.

The recommendation is to keep caffeine intake under 200mg per day (even though the evidence is unclear and there are plenty of studies that did not find any adverse effects of caffeine consumption). A can of coke is 35mg. Have that coke.

MrsStavrum Mon 18-Jul-16 12:43:24

I know how you feel. I love going to the gym usually and go about 6 times a week but it is so hard at the moment. I am 7 weeks and usually go before work so that I dont have time to think about it too much.

I have found that there is so little information out there about what you can and can't do. A lot of articles say "modify where necessary" but when is it necessary and what are the modifications? I used to do a lot of high intensity exercise but have cut this out and am now doing much more walking. I have kept my weights workouts pretty much the same but am not pushing myself as much (which I really miss!). I am also doing reformer pilates once a week (I cant afford any more!) which is great for core and stabilisation muscles and the teachers are brilliant at giving alternatives.

My pilates instructors have advised no crunches or holding planks. I am sure they are over cautious but I am sticking to that for now.

With regards to coke, I am craving diet coke all the time! I have one a few times a week lovely and cold and it is great!

xxx

KatharinaRosalie Mon 18-Jul-16 14:00:12

I modified when I felt it was necessary - most pregnant women really don't want to do burpees, so modification there is sensible. grin
Around 7 months, I felt I didn't want to run any more, as bump was bouncing and getting uncomfortable - but dancing on the other hand was still fine.
So I would say just listen to your body. But don't listen to people who say that a previously fit person has to stop everything and do only gentle walking - or that you must not get your heart rate over 120, that's a myth. Exercise in pregnancy has a lot of proven benefits and if you're used to it, you can indeed continue with most of your regular workouts.

KatoPotato Mon 18-Jul-16 14:08:19

I was an absolute gym bunny just before I got pg with DS2. I kept up with crossfit untill about 25weeks then one day I told myself to chill out. I knew it was my last pregnancy so I just enjoyed being pregnant. I ate, I napped, and went to pregnancy yoga where I ate dark chocolate and lay down with a blanket and cushion.

It's totally up to you of course, but the gym will still be there when you're ready. DS2 is now 14months old and I'm right back where I was!

moosechops Mon 18-Jul-16 14:38:09

Hello, I powerlift and I lifted through my first pregnancy and I am pregnant with my second child and still lifting.

I can really sympathise with sickness - I was sick until 34 weeks with my first DD and it looks like this pregnancy is going the same way. If you can't eat just make smoothies or drink milkshake. Get loads of protein in there. Im knackered all the time at the moment but power through! or lay down wink

Do you foam roll? Get one. It knacks but it'll get rid of your aching muscles faster... obv just not your back.

My 'modifications' to my training means im not lifting anything more than 100% which is comfortably my warmup weight.. just lots of reps and working on my bench over the summer smile

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Naschkatze Mon 18-Jul-16 18:51:57

I'm wondering about finally using the personal trainer session at the gym (if they've got someone appropriately trained for teaching pregnant women) and working out on my own rather than going to classes. But I really don't know what I'm doing so I need someone to give me ideas!

Pilates is a good idea. I've not really done it before - is there anything within it I shouldn't be doing?

winniemcgoogan Tue 19-Jul-16 08:01:20

I like to exercise as well but when I was pregnant I ended up just sticking to walking and tai chi qi gong and pregnancy yoga and pregnancy Pilates and hill walking

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now