Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

New job and pregnant! HELP!

(9 Posts)
chloe2413 Fri 15-Jul-16 20:36:03

I started a new job on Monday and today (Friday) I have found out that I am pregnant. I haven't had a doctors appointment yet so I'm not sure how far along I am but I would guess about 2-3 weeks. I'm so scared about what will happen with my job...anyone out there with any advice?!?

foursillybeans Fri 15-Jul-16 20:54:21

First of all just keep learning your new job and don't worry too much about the pregnancy. It happens and you don't have to tell them immediately.

Novinosincebambino Fri 15-Jul-16 21:10:26

Hi chloe congratulations. The exact same thing happened to me. I took care of myself (no team building paintball!) waited until my scan then went and chatted with my boss and then HR. They were absolutely fine and very supportive. I didn't qualify for maternity pay because I hadn't been there for a year or more, but they helped me with info about statutory maternity pay. It will all be fine, just try to enjoy this amazing time. Good luck.

chloe2413 Sun 17-Jul-16 14:05:19

Thanks ladies. I'm so apprehensive about it. I'm a PA and I sit outside my boss' office so I think it's going to be a real struggle to hide it from him. It's a really small company and I'm worried that when I tell them they will prefer to just let me go and get someone new to save the hassle 😔

tutulove Mon 18-Jul-16 10:54:21

I was in a very similar situation to you with my 2nd. I'd just started at a new company and it was a small one and then I got unexpectedly pregnant. They were absolutely lovely and actually let me stay throughout the whole of the pregnancy but wouldn't take me on permanently which I totally understood. In fact it was the similar situation with my first I was temping at the time and they were nice and let me temp until I went on mat leave.
Unfortunately in both cases I didn't have a job to go back too but at least I had employment through the pregnancies.
My sister had a very different experience and she lost her new job when she told them which was upsetting but she managed to find a temping job to tide her over until mat leave and then when her son was 1 she found a permanent job so it all worked out well in the end.
There is no knowing how they will react once you tell them, but here's hoping they are nice to you. If they aren't I know it's not ideal but temping until the baby is here is always an option then you can look for a permanent job after mat leave xx

Seekingmiracles Mon 18-Jul-16 11:02:05

This happened to me too - I found out I was pregnant the week before starting a new job. They've been great, although I don't qualify for SMP, I will get Maternity Allowance which isn't too different.

chloe2413 Mon 18-Jul-16 11:13:21

Thank you ladies. Tutulove - what happened to your sister sounds horrid...this is the sort of situation I am worried about. Although you are right temping is an option. I'm not concerned about becoming permanent, just want to keep my job for as long as possible. I have my first doctors appointment tonight so I'll hopefully have more information by tomorrow. My boss is away for a few weeks in a months time so I'm hoping I can keep it under wraps until he returns. Ah it's such a scary time! Can't feel happy about it at all 😔 Which makes me feel even worse! xx

Bollyroo Mon 18-Jul-16 11:17:28

Congratulations Chloe! I'm 5 months preggo and started a new job 2 weeks ago so there are good companies out there! Obviously different situation to you as I was very upfront (physically and literally!) in the interview. For the moment, just enjoy the job and there is absolutely no need to mention anything to your boss or HR until at least 12 weeks. A lot of things can happen before that scan. Good luck!

purplesmiler Mon 18-Jul-16 15:46:45

Just want to say Chole I am in a similar position.

I left my job of a number of years last week to find a positive pregnancy test yesterday. I am due to start my new job in less than 3 weeks and am worried what they will say. I am hoping my continuous service will count as although moving jobs I am transferring from one Authority to another in a similar job and was assured my continuous service would transfer in terms of leave, redundancy etc however with maternity I am unsure.

I am also worried that it will make it harder to make good relationships with my colleagues as in 7 months I will be going on mat leave. I am very grateful and excited to be pregnant its just trying to get everything settled in my mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now